•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Did anyone actuallt see the Diamond Ring or did you pull away?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

Saw both diamond rings. Only lasted a second on either end until it got too bright to be safe. Once the corona started washing out I averted my eyes. No spots or other issues afterwards.

Edited by audioaficionado, 31 August 2017 - 03:32 PM.

• REC likes this

#52 RutileQ

RutileQ

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

With the camera:

i-Mjb8KJf-XL.jpg

I'm wondering what caused the radial banding.  I was shooting at f8, and they don't look like aperture stars. 

• REC likes this

#53 comprapescado

comprapescado

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DFW

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

I was looking at the western horizon, as best as I recall, at the incoming shadow when someone called "Diamond Ring" at C2 and watched it turn into totality. Later they called out "50 seconds" remaining and finally 12 seconds and I watched the final moments of totality turn into the second Diamond Ring and continued to stare as long as I could until it got bright, so maybe 4-5 seconds.

Later, I had gotten sunblock into my eyes (not a rare occurrence) and it was burning so badly, I worried I had done some damage to my eyes, but as best as I can tell, even though I shouldn't have looked so long, they are OK.

• REC and bunyon like this

#54 Larry Mc

Larry Mc

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA.

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

I observed the Diamond Ring at end of totality, for a brief second before the filters went back on.

Was a very intense light. Here's a video-capture pic: Made using a StellaCam3 & Canon 55mm CCTV lens mounted on a Skywatcher Star-Adventurer telescope mount

Attached Files

• REC likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics