•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

For eclipse imagers: Anyone else perplexed by processing?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 Mad MikeE

Mad MikeE

Vostok 1

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

I just tinkered again and sorta followed what I had above.
Contrast and compare

Main thing was I added JPEGs to make source for LSMask in Fitsworks instead of TIFs.

After that I'm not really sure blink.png ...

Did get rid of the ring unless you zoom in ALOT :)

Still have no clue about getting color into the middle :(

Attached File  IMG_2355-70_finalNotSofull2.jpg   53.07KB   0 downloads

Edited by Mad MikeE, 20 September 2017 - 07:34 PM.

#52 dan_hm

dan_hm

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

Mike - I think the second one looks a lot sharper and the color blends nicely.  I wonder if you could tweak the color balance to combat that posterization.  You might also want to try a synthetic flat if you have Pixinsight, or do a similar technique in PS.

#53 Mad MikeE

Mad MikeE

Vostok 1

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:56 PM

Working on a different stack taken w/ a 135mm.

The good and inspiring news - Rays out to 5-6 solar diameters.

The really PAINFUL NEWS - High thin clouds cloudy.gifthat were not visible until stretching   bawling.gifmad.gif

(stacking multiple exposures in the same subgroup (8s, 4s not too bad, but after that it's REALLY fun when you try with that stuffundecided.gif4.gif )

Have been making some progress, but this will be taking a while - figure about 1-2 months between family stuff and learning what I am doing.

Added an example (8s, iso 100 (2 exposures))Attached File  cloudsnrays.jpg   66.97KB   2 downloads

Edited by Mad MikeE, 13 October 2017 - 11:07 PM.

#54 dghundt

dghundt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:13 AM

Follow Mr Espanek's article. Fred just finished his composite and refernced his old but highly applicable article.
It's the only method I found that produced anything close to what my raw data had.
http://web.boun.edu....ok/espenakf.pdf

#55 Mad MikeE

Mad MikeE

Vostok 1

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

Working on a different stack taken w/ a 135mm.

The good and inspiring news - Rays out to 5-6 solar diameters.

The really PAINFUL NEWS - High thin clouds cloudy.gifthat were not visible until stretching   bawling.gifmad.gif

(stacking multiple exposures in the same subgroup (8s, 4s not too bad, but after that it's REALLY fun when you try with that stuffundecided.gif4.gif )

Have been making some progress, but this will be taking a while - figure about 1-2 months between family stuff and learning what I am doing.

Added an example (8s, iso 100 (2 exposures))attachicon.gifcloudsnrays.jpg

Been chipping away and figured I'd share some tweaks:

- all the below has been in Linux / Fits so far, will probably have to switch to windows for 32 bit manipulation as an HDR...

- AstroPixelProcessor (the one I was willing to afford and it does have some very nice tools (but no good way to align eclipse pics that I have found yet...)
But I found the black point slider and got most of the junk out @ the low end.

Also did some DDP on all the images to bring out details (CAREFULLY (enough I hope)

After the fact darks and flats sometimes did more harm than good so left them off in processing the faster exposured (< .5 seconds)

- I had 3 cycles of eclipse pictures to manipulate and after I did each set of exposures for a given time - went and used SIRIL's registration (global-something - last one on the list)

and Pixel Maximum for stacking, so I have the moon relatively centered w/ proms, etc on both sides smile.gif

At some point when leaving the FITS domain, I will use AstroPixelProcessor to export to TIF since it has a REALLY nice debayering algorithm (Advanced Airy Disk) that make things sharp!

Will have some more info after I get the 'same exposure' groups added together into something you can see smile.gif

#56 Jgoldader

Jgoldader

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

Hi all,

I finally, FINALLY, had some success with Photomatix Pro 6. My source files were images from 2 seconds to 1/500 s in factors of 4 in exposure.

After shifting the images to align them in Photoshop, I clipped them to white at about 240 counts (it varied from image to image). Then I loaded them into Photomatix. The HDR setting I used was Fusion/Intensive. I set the strength to full-low (-10) and radius to max. This resulted in an image that was essentially free of the "rings" that had been there in my previous attempts to combine the images.

I then took the output from Photomatix back into Photoshop, where I centered the image and used the radial blur method to do an unsharp-mask (setting was 10 in radial blur). (See http://www.madpc.co....phseclipse.pdf)

I then tweaked the levels and saturation to get a decent looking final image (attached). My images have vignetting, next step will be to try to find a way to remove that effect. But at least I have a more or less "cookbook" processing routine now.

Attached Files

• Mad MikeE, dan_hm and dghundt like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics