•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sans and Streiffe Mod. 601, early version.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:24 PM

A few days ago I got the S&S Mod 601 (altaz mount) that was auctioned on Shopgoodwill. As I expected it was a fratricide war with other CN members... I paid a higher price  (a few extra ten dollar bills, not a fortune!) than what normally a vintage 60x700 goes for, but I really wanted to pair it with my other early S&S 60x700 that optically has impressed me quite a lot:  https://www.cloudyni...fe#entry7757942.

I defined this Mod. 601 as "early version" in the thread title because strdst has posted a different S&S 601 version, also on altaz mount,  that I presume may be somewhat later :

https://www.cloudyni...ount/?p=7670516

I am currently away from home and have only the OTA with me, so I start with what I have. Later, info on the mount, accessories, JTII tag and a copy of the manual will be posted.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sans_Streiffe 601_4.jpg
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_3.jpg

• Chuck Hards, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#2 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

The OTA was dirty, dirty, dirty, but it seemed in good shape. Some masking tape was applied to the front bottom section. Under the tape I found only a a few scratches: the only possibility that comes to my mind is that the previous owner used the OTA rested on a hard surface (wall? stone windowsill?) and after leaving some scratches decided to protect it. But, who knows?

A quick check verified that some essential accessories fitted just fine (Vixen 1.25" visual back, high-end dew shade cap grin.gif ).

And so the dirty work began.....

Attached Thumbnails

• Sans_Streiffe 601_2.jpg
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_1.jpg
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_6.jpg
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_7.jpg

• LarsJ, Bomber Bob, walter a and 1 other like this

#3 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:56 PM

Eventually the OTA dignity was restored. Note that the focuser is threaded to it.

The dew shade does not want to come off the lens cell. I tried heating it with no luck and then decided to live with it being stuck.

The lenses seemed to have only external dirt and, at the rear of the crown, 3-4 small and initial spots of mold. They cleaned very easily without requiring lens removal.  The lens coating is unscratched but it has 2-3 very small holes where the mold ate it.

And so I placed the OTA on a Monolux 4380 mount and started to enjoy it! Visibility was far from ideal through, with small clouds moving in and out, and some persistent haze.

The star test was excellent, with nice, sharp and symmetrical disks. The focuser worked great as is, I had not taken it apart. On the moon neither my son nor I could notice any CA, ranging from a Zeiss Pl 10x/20 all the way up to a University Optics 4mm Ortho. The latter in a moment of better visibility gave me some great views of the moon, especially in terms of color, contrast and sense of depth. I did also look at Saturn, but the haze only gave some promising hint of future nice views, nothing more.

So, for my taste this scope is a great find, I couldn't be happier.

A thank you to Stargoat for some interesting info provided offline.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sans_Streiffe 601_11.jpg
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_10.jpg
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_9.jpg

Edited by DMala, 27 August 2017 - 10:59 PM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, walter a and 1 other like this

#4 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

• Loc: Blaine, Washington

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

A few days ago I got the S&S Mod 601 (altaz mount) that was auctioned on Shopgoodwill. As I expected it was a fratricide war with other CN members... I paid a higher price  (a few extra ten dollar bills, not a fortune!) than what normally a vintage 60x700 goes for, but I really wanted to pair it with my other early S&S 60x700 that optically has impressed me quite a lot:  https://www.cloudyni...fe#entry7757942.

I defined this Mod. 601 as "early version" in the thread title because strdst has posted a different S&S 601 version, also on altaz mount,  that I presume may be somewhat later :

https://www.cloudyni...ount/?p=7670516

I am currently away from home and have only the OTA with me, so I start with what I have. Later, info on the mount, accessories, JTII tag and a copy of the manual will be posted.

Yeah, I run out of steam on this one, I had my eye on another 114 Unitron. Great find, this one is the same vintage as my 600 with the GEM mount. I can't wait to hear about the star test, I know if it is as good as mine you are going to be very impressed. I think these were precursor to the first Swifts at least the same supplier of parts. Once again, I am glad you got it I know it is in good hands.smile.gif 

Frank

• DMala likes this

#5 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

Frank, the manual covers both early models 600 and 601, so if you do not have it already, stay posted and you will get a downloadable copy (I assume .pdf files can be attached to posts). Star test info is in my third post and yes it seems a great performer. Thanks
  • levidog2 likes this

#6 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:02 PM

That would be a great addition to the Classic Telescope Wiki.  Then anyone can download a .pdf.  

• levidog2 and DMala like this

#7 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

Congratulations!!  I thought about buying that 601, as I'm 99% sure it's a 1957-1958 Astro Optical from before the company developed / started using their maker's mark.  Note the two tiny brass screws that put tension on the drawtube.  When you get a chance, please measure the length of the chrome tube when fully wracked-out.  I bet it'll match my 1956 ASC (pre-AO) Space Scope 151 (105mm).  My 151 has a perfect star test, and I use it often as a reference scope for new refractor purchases.

Also, the majority of S&S refractors imported in the 1960s were AO.  Views should be very good!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 28 August 2017 - 03:24 PM.

• levidog2 and DMala like this

#8 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:36 PM

(..).  When you get a chance, please measure the length of the chrome tube when fully wracked-out.  I bet it'll match my 1956 ASC (pre-AO) Space Scope 151 (105mm).  (..)

Here you go, 12 cm.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sans_Streiffe 601_15.jpg

• Bomber Bob and levidog2 like this

#9 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:39 PM

The tripod legs have the safety chain permanently attached. Note the small bolts going through the top of the legs, I presume to prevent splitting maybe?

The JTII tag is in very good shape.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sans_Streiffe 601_14.jpg
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_13.jpg
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_12.jpg
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_16.jpg

Edited by DMala, 29 August 2017 - 10:42 PM.

• Bomber Bob, walter a, levidog2 and 1 other like this

#10 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:56 PM

Good bidding (jerk face)! I'm kidding. I bid too low thinking the bandaged OT would keep the price down. I was primarily going for a piece of hardware for the Swift type finder that I need to finish a Swift 839, and the objective if good to replace the one in my 601, oh yeah and maybe the mount if it is like the one on my 601, and also to see if that was a bandaid under the tape, (thought I could see an outline). Had I won, none of those items would be transplanted because your new scope is too awesome. 

A few questions. When I studied the shopgoodwill photos it looked as though there were two finder brackets in the kit. I imagined the Swift type strap on was not original but seeing your photos without holes in the OT looks as if it was. Did you get the straps to clamp the finder on? And is the mount similar to mine? Again good bidding. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1011866.jpg
  • P1011864.jpg

• Bomber Bob, DMala and Kasmos like this

#11 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:10 AM

Keith,

A mount (with tripod), like yours sold about 4 weeks ago on Goodwill too. Maybe you saw it? I wanted it but didn't bid since I was in the middle of two other possible purchases. frown.gif   

• DMala likes this

#12 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:16 AM

(...) 

A few questions. When I studied the shopgoodwill photos it looked as though there were two finder brackets in the kit. I imagined the Swift type strap on was not original but seeing your photos without holes in the OT looks as if it was. Did you get the straps to clamp the finder on? And is the mount similar to mine? Again good bidding. 

Yes it came with both straps for the finder, tucked one into the other.  In the GW pictures it looked like there was only one and I was concerned. No the mount is different. I will post pictures of both asap.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#13 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:29 AM

Keith,

A mount (with tripod), like yours sold about 4 weeks ago on Goodwill too. Maybe you saw it? I wanted it but didn't bid since I was in the middle of two other possible purchases. frown.gif   Y

I did and was going to bid but since retiring it has become very difficult to keep track of time, not unstuck in a Billy Pilgrim sort of way but not the relationship with it that keeps a person productive or knowing when an auction ends. 

• paulymo and Kasmos like this

#14 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:28 AM

(..).  When you get a chance, please measure the length of the chrome tube when fully wracked-out.  I bet it'll match my 1956 ASC (pre-AO) Space Scope 151 (105mm).  (..)

Here you go, 12 cm.

Well... shoot!  I still think your 601 is a transitional scope from ASC to AO, but a match would've been nice.

• DMala likes this

#15 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

Keith,

A mount (with tripod), like yours sold about 4 weeks ago on Goodwill too. Maybe you saw it? I wanted it but didn't bid since I was in the middle of two other possible purchases. frown.gif   

I bought that mount.  

• Kasmos likes this

#16 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:47 AM

Keith,

I bought that mount.  

Jerkface.

Edited by strdst, 01 September 2017 - 12:49 AM.

• Chuck Hards, TOM KIEHL, levidog2 and 1 other like this

#17 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:57 PM

(...) And is the mount similar to mine? (...)

Details of the mount.  I have never seen such design, that appears to be some sort of hybrid altaz/equatorial. Stay posted for a copy of the manual that explains how to use it.

The horizontal axis locking bolt has four holes where the handle inserts by pressure fit (i.e. they are not threaded): it is a miracle that it has not been lost.

The polar axis clamp bolt screws into the lug of the OTA fork, not into the opposite side of the polar axis fork, but it has an unthreaded  extension that fits into the opposite for support.

If the above description is not clear I can try to take additional pictures.

The tripod leg bolts are quite heavy and with different finish on the various parts (head: polished; body: satin; wingnut: hammered)

IMPORTANT NOTE: the color of the control handle knob is not accurate in the picture. Although it was probably whitish originally, it has now a yellowish hue. I need to try to take pics in sunlight and with a better camera.  Similar handles have been previously referred to as "white bakelite". I have so far seen only brown, black and red bakelite, never white, but the material of this handle has a somewhat translucent "plastic" look that does not seem bakelite to me.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sans_Streiffe 601_19.jpg
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_18.jpg
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_17.jpg

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, levidog2 and 1 other like this

#18 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

Mount terminology and instructions for use in equatorial mode. Interesting, eh?

Can anyone PM me the contact info for uploading the full manual in .pdf format to the to the Classic Telescope Wiki?  Thanks

Also a picture showing a correct representation of the color of the driving handle knob. I wonder if the yellowish color would clean up with some mild detergent, on the other side I do not mid some old age patina.....

Attached Thumbnails

• Sans_Streiffe 601_22.JPG
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_21.JPG
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_20.jpg

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, levidog2 and 1 other like this

#19 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:55 PM

"...incline the York to the north..."    lol.gif

• Bomber Bob and DMala like this

#20 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

Maybe, Yoke+Fork = York grin.gif

BTW, Very Cool! 

Edited by Kasmos, 07 September 2017 - 02:08 PM.

• Terra Nova and DMala like this

#21 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

Cool I just found that the Classic Telescope Wiki has the manual for the later version of the 600 and 601. I just emailed a contact I found asking if I can send a copy of my earlier version.

#22 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:38 AM

No replies from Datapanic to my requests for posting the manual on the Classic Telescope Wiki. Does anyone know an active contact?

The sun filter, the 6 mm HM and the H20mm that came with this Mod. 601 are shown here, next to a Swift 6mm (for comparison with a possible distant descendant of this scope). The S&S Mod 601 6mm  HM actually seems a bit more heavily built, and besides the volcano top design, there are not many similarities. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Sans_Streiffe 601_24.jpg
  • Sans_Streiffe 601_23.JPG

• Bomber Bob likes this

#23 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:40 AM

I hope you get the manual posted, I would sure like to get a copy for mine. I will dig mine out again and take a closer look at the eyepieces and check them against the Swift I have coming, I am sure there will be a lot of differences but I think the manufacturer my have gotten a little more refined. I still believe these S & S models were precursor to the early Swifts, too many similarities but kind of in a rougher form. Either way I like mine, I think I will keep it, you know one of the three + a few. grin.gif 

Frank

• DMala likes this

#24 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

DMala, Thanks again for the manual it is just what the doctor ordered, my little 600 is now complete laugh.gif Have you had any luck with the Wiki posting. Hope it gets on nice item to archive.

Cheers,

Frank

• DMala likes this

#25 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 29 August 2021 - 10:50 AM

I am now the proud owner of this telescope.  From 2003-2016, I was an avid colector of 60mm scopes.  There are pictures, long gone on CN of the past, of our living room showing 20-30 of these little guys all lined up and on display.  

This telescope is one of the most unique of any 60mm that I have seen.  I thought I might take some time to document additional items of interest that are not documented above.

First off, the finderscope.  What a wonderful engineering marvel!  Very Swift like in its adjustments.  Very Takakashi like in the optics.  And unlike most any other in its ability to be place anywhere on the tube at any angle.  I love it!  It's also one of the few parts of the telescope that will not need  restoration.  

Focus is accomplished at the eyepiece.  The silver ring is used to lock down focus.

Attached Thumbnails

• C8A92B4F-600F-41B5-9246-98BF2F1A039B.jpeg
  • 92F1C09D-683D-4B3A-94FE-1BC38E836050.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M_M, 29 August 2021 - 11:00 AM.

• Vesper818, Terra Nova, Kasmos and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics