•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sans and Streiffe Mod. 601, early version.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 29 August 2021 - 11:04 AM

Here is that press fit piece to lock and unlock the horizontal axis.  I agree with DMala (RIP) above that it is amazing it has not been lost over the years.  Heck, I almost lost it today when it fell into the bushes  smile.gif  Obviously, within a year or two after this scope was made, someone came up with the brillant idea to have this piece be threaded.

Attached Thumbnails

• F40DAF13-F892-46AF-B486-5FFEBC8902AF.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M_M, 29 August 2021 - 11:06 AM.

• Bomber Bob, Kasmos and jcruse64 like this

#27 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 29 August 2021 - 11:55 AM

As you can see from the pictures, the mount does not have a typical tube clamp.  Rather, the tube is slid into a tube holder.  Check out the unqiue way the tube is clamped down.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4966E024-EA45-439C-AD4D-C23466D7DA5F.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M_M, 29 August 2021 - 11:56 AM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#28 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 29 August 2021 - 12:01 PM

Ok.  Now onto the "mono-axis equatorial" piece.  I cant figure this out at all.  It says set the dial to your latitude.  Ok, I set it to 30 degrees.  Now, incline the "york" (yoke) until the telescope is vertical, then clamp the inclination.  Ahh, this doesn't work.  Not even close.  1) the telescope hits the locking handle 2) The yoke only inclines about 15 degrees 3) there is no way this is equatorial at latitude 30 degrees.

Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• 6FEF01CA-1104-405D-8EFF-FC4DF0B4B9BE.jpeg
  • 205F9CDF-735A-4C95-9749-778AA0088EC7.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M_M, 29 August 2021 - 12:02 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#29 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 29 August 2021 - 03:26 PM

I have posted about this mount some time ago that is very similar to yours, but it has slo-mo capabilities.  I'm pretty sure it was a Shusuke Kojima designed mount (when he was at Goto).  I have never seen another (nor have any of our friends at Galakuma's web site). 

It has the same type of captive clamshell for a 60mm tube.  It works fine in either alt-az or eq mode, but in eq mode, its a bit scary due to the lack of counterweight and you have to really tighten up the altitude clamp.  It's not too bad at my 42 deg latitude.

12323_1.jpg

12323_2.jpg

12323_3.jpg

Charlie

• Steve_M_M, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#30 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 29 August 2021 - 03:41 PM

Steve,

waytogo.gif That's a very cool and rare telescope.

I was very tempted when (I think it was Barry) was offering it. 

Swift-839-Tri-Hub copy.jpg

Notice that the hub is very similar to a Swift 839.

The connection with Swift is evident in the photo in post #13 (where did DMala get that?)

I believe both shown in that photo were 60/700mm and connected with Eikow. I'll try to find that info.

In the mean time....

Swift 839 Early model.jpg

Note that this 839 photo has a finder eyepiece & objective more like your 601 than what we normally see on Swifts.

If you look closely it also has the same focuser knobs, the little bolts thru the top of the tripod legs,

and the horizontal lock is between the tripod lugs (like yours), instead of higher like we normally see with 838s and 839s.

The OTA looks shorter like seen on a 700mm as well.

And to make a connection to Eikow, check out this 838 twin.

EK-01-c.jpg

Note the Swift 838-839 style GEM in the box

EK-02-c.jpg

Again, notice the heavily notched knobs and the compression collar on the VB.

Not to mention a oval shaped badge

Edited by Kasmos, 29 August 2021 - 03:44 PM.

• Steve_M_M, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#31 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

Posted 29 August 2021 - 04:04 PM

Ok.  Now onto the "mono-axis equatorial" piece.  I cant figure this out at all.  It says set the dial to your latitude.  Ok, I set it to 30 degrees.  Now, incline the "york" (yoke) until the telescope is vertical, then clamp the inclination.  Ahh, this doesn't work.  Not even close.  1) the telescope hits the locking handle 2) The yoke only inclines about 15 degrees 3) there is no way this is equatorial at latitude 30 degrees.

Any thoughts?

How about rotating the yoke so that the OTA is on the opposite side?

• Steve_M_M likes this

#32 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

Posted 29 August 2021 - 04:08 PM

I have posted about this mount some time ago that is very similar to yours, but it has slo-mo capabilities.  I'm pretty sure it was a Shusuke Kojima designed mount (when he was at Goto).  I have never seen another (nor have any of our friends at Galakuma's web site). 

It has the same type of captive clamshell for a 60mm tube.  It works fine in either alt-az or eq mode, but in eq mode, its a bit scary due to the lack of counterweight and you have to really tighten up the altitude clamp.  It's not too bad at my 42 deg latitude.

attachicon.gif12323_1.jpg

attachicon.gif12323_2.jpg

attachicon.gif12323_3.jpg

Charlie

Charlie, did that come with that scope (and what is it?) or is it the mount that Stan sold?

#33 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 29 August 2021 - 04:17 PM

How about rotating the yoke so that the OTA is on the opposite side?

Like this?  The mount has even less adjustment in this configuration.

Attached Thumbnails

• AD3B964E-945B-416F-A0F3-AC28695C7DD3.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M_M, 29 August 2021 - 04:18 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#34 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 29 August 2021 - 04:22 PM

attachicon.gif12323_1.jpg

attachicon.gif12323_2.jpg

attachicon.gif12323_3.jpg

Charlie

Interesting.  Lots of similarities.  It loots like your mount could adjust all the way down to 0 latitude.  Mine will only adjust to about 15 degrees one way and 5 degrees the other.

#35 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 29 August 2021 - 04:25 PM

Steve,

waytogo.gif That's a very cool and rare telescope.

I was very tempted when (I think it was Barry) was offering it. 

attachicon.gifSwift-839-Tri-Hub copy.jpg

Notice that the hub is very similar to a Swift 839.

The connection with Swift is evident in the photo in post #13 (where did DMala get that?)

I believe both shown in that photo were 60/700mm and connected with Eikow. I'll try to find that info.

In the mean time....

attachicon.gifSwift 839 Early model.jpg

Note that this 839 photo has a finder eyepiece & objective more like your 601 than what we normally see on Swifts.

If you look closely it also has the same focuser knobs, the little bolts thru the top of the tripod legs,

and the horizontal lock is between the tripod lugs (like yours), instead of higher like we normally see with 838s and 839s.

The OTA looks shorter like seen on a 700mm as well.

And to make a connection to Eikow, check out this 838 twin.

attachicon.gifEK-01-c.jpg

Note the Swift 838-839 style GEM in the box

attachicon.gifEK-02-c.jpg

Again, notice the heavily notched knobs and the compression collar on the VB.

Not to mention a oval shaped badge

No need for me to restate everything.  You are spot on.  Everything you note about my scope and the 839 are identical.  

• Kasmos likes this

#36 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 29 August 2021 - 04:41 PM

Well, my main goal is to bring this guy back to life.  I am horrible at documenting, so my goal will be to:

• 100% disassemble the tripod to every last little screw, bolt, everything
  • Refinish the tripod legs
  • CLR then buff with 0000 all nuts, bolts, and screws
  • There are some missing tiny screws for some of the bracket so I will pull those from an old 1950's SPI tripod I have
  • Repaint the tripod brackets with proper black crinkle paint
  • Repaint mount same as above
  • Repair the cross threading on the tube.  The lens cell doesn't thread at all.  It's just held on now with a bunch of teflon tape.
  • Clean tube.  It's not bad.  My method would be condenmed here, so suffice to say it will be original white when done.
  • Repair box.  It is in very very poor condition.  Ill have to see if it can be re-laminated.  If so, it then needs an inside/outside top to bottom sanding and refinishing.  Wood working is my favorite part of restoring, so I am confident this will look nice.  Many of the internals inserts are broken and the green felt needs replacing in areas.
  • 3D print a lens cover

Sorry, this will be a long term project.  I know how we all love daily restoration updates smile.gif

On another note, what is this extra diagonal that came with the set and why does it have a hole?  The rare 5mm tipped set screws are a huge bonus.

Attached Thumbnails

• 72574BF6-7443-4846-820F-63BBFF502503.jpeg
  • FB64C276-E5D1-4206-8ED7-E07F47ABE8AC.jpeg
  • E5387062-4A91-4D37-B766-AD3F31924D6F.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M_M, 29 August 2021 - 05:30 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#37 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

Posted 29 August 2021 - 04:47 PM

Like this?  The mount has even less adjustment in this configuration.

I'm also confused. If I can think of something I'll chime back in.

That extra finder mount looks kind of like a early Edmund.

Some finders have a groove where the adjusters touch them, so maybe the hole is so you can see the groove?

• Steve_M_M likes this

#38 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 29 August 2021 - 07:36 PM

Set up and ready to take some peeks through the clouds at Saturn and Jupiter.  The finder was clunky to get aligned initially but is set and locked now. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 6D5141B5-82F5-4E15-88DC-1AEE40ADDD8C.jpeg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#39 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 29 August 2021 - 07:41 PM

The finder and bracket look similar to a Swift.

• Steve_M_M likes this

#40 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 29 August 2021 - 08:35 PM

yup  looks like it............If this is the one I had......To follow its history  I bought it from DMala's estate after he passed        Goodash listed it among other things for his family. .   you can see that this was DMala's second S and S 601.....I liked it       I  listed it locally on craigs     then decided to give it away here  the next day. I sent it   Deep in the Heart of Texas. Seems it stays in the family here which is awesome......

To me at least    in addition to the awesome finder         the coolest thing was that awesome cream colored handle. It appeared to have faded and yellowed to cream so nicely     kind of like an old Fender Stratocaster  where the nitrocellulose finish yellows to a cream color over time. (Think Jimi's 1969 white Woodstock Stratocaster)

Enjoy   

EDIT   Good luck on the restoration

I thought   the lens was  very very good indeed   the eyepieces? try others

Attached Thumbnails

• Sans and Streiffe3IMG_3148.jpg
  • jimiecoder3IMG_6065.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 30 August 2021 - 08:36 AM.

• Steve_M_M, Bomber Bob and Garyth64 like this

#41 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 29 August 2021 - 09:11 PM

yup  looks like it............If this is the one I had......To follow its history  I bought it from DMala's estate after he passed        Goodash listed it among other things for his family. .   you can see that this was DMala's second S and S 601.....I liked it       I  listed it locally on craigs for 69.00     then decided to give it away here  the next day. I sent it   Deep in the Heart of Texas. Seems it stays in the family here which is awesome......

To me at least    in addition to the awesome finder         the coolest thing was that awesome cream colored handle. It appeared to have faded and yellowed to cream so nicely     kind of like an old Fender Stratocaster  where the nitrocellulose finish yellows to a cream color over time. (Think Jimi's 1969 white Woodstock Stratocaster)

Enjoy   

Yes, that is the history I got too.  Russell passed it onto me to give it my best shot at restoration.

I agree on the handle.  It's weird though, I just doesn't seem to fit in with the telescope.  But, it's cool!

So, first light for me is taking place tonight.  I don't know if you got a chance to look through it, but the lens is a WINNER.  No detailed study, but a quick star test indicates a very good lens.  The HM20mm is a decent eyepiece even if the glass almost seems plastic.  The HM6mm is a piece of junk.  I also tried another set of 1956 eyepieces from an Asahi Pentax.  This was interesting as at least in this scope, the Asahi Pentax HM12.5mm beat out a very nice Pentax K12.5mm.  Star testing is being done with a Tak 2.8mm and 4mm Hi Ortho and a Pentax 6mm Ortho (The real one, not the Kenko Pentax labeled version).  Super hard to track with this scope above 116x (6mm)

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#42 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 August 2021 - 10:06 PM

Charlie, did that come with that scope (and what is it?) or is it the mount that Stan sold?

No scope.  Just the mount head and hub.  I think it was from Stan.  I use my AO S-5 on it.

Charlie

#43 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

Posted 30 August 2021 - 12:18 AM

No scope.  Just the mount head and hub.  I think it was from Stan.  I use my AO S-5 on it.

Charlie

I suspected that, especially since like you I've never seen another like it.

The closest mounts to it are on the ATCO 1252 but they don't tilt. 

Kenko Mount 1.jpg

The one on my Kenko TA710 is similar to the ATCO but it lacks the azimuth slow motion,

although some years had them. Seems strange to only have it for one direction

Edited by Kasmos, 30 August 2021 - 03:48 AM.

• Bomber Bob, Garyth64 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#44 aoirotukiko

aoirotukiko

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Japan

Posted 04 September 2021 - 01:32 AM

Hello all  

This Sans and Streiffe Model 601 is a Macro Optics Model. 602. 

I am investigating Shusuke Kojima, a designer of Japanese astronomical telescopes. Since 1955, many of Shusuke Kojima's telescopes have been exported.

There is very little information on the telescope of Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd. that I have. This Forum has a lot of information about the telescopes of Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd., which will help me in my research.

Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd(マクロ光学工業)is a Japanese optical machine manufacturer founded in March 1958 by Shusuke Kojima(小島修介) and others.

The activity period is about two years.(Mar.1958~Feb.1959)

Shusuke Kojima left the Goto Optical Manufactring Co.,Ltd(五藤光学研究所) around March 1951, and was called the Astro Service Center(アストロサービスセンター), where he personally repaired telescopes.round December 1952, he joined Asahi Optical Co., Ltd.(旭光学工業) and designed a six-inch refraction equatorial mount.

He established Astro Optics Co., Ltd. (アストロ光学)in November 1954 and exported Astro S-5 and others under the brand name of the other party(Tasco ,Akron etc.).

In February 1958, Astro Optical Co., Ltd. stopped operations due to poor management, and Shusuke Kojima was removed from the board of directors of Astro Optical Co., Ltd.

After that, the newly established company was Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd. 

The telescope designed by Shusuke Kojima at Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd. is different from the previous designs. 

Swift 831, 838, 839 are designed by Shusuke Kojima, and they will be inherited by Takahashi Seisakusho's products.

Shusuke Kojima newly launched Nippon Telescope Industry Co., Ltd(日本テレスコープ工業). in 1959.

Then, in May 1959,  Swift Instruments,Inc.  Tokyo branch was established.

The Japanese trading company that cooperated with the establishment of Swift Instruments,Inc.  Tokyo branch was Associated Manufacturers Agency Co., Ltd(相互産業).   Originally, Nippon Telescope Industry Co., Ltd. was supposed to supply telescopes to Swift, but Shusuke Kojima died suddenly(Jun.1960), and the management of the company was disrupted.

Therefore, Takahashi Seisakusyo Ltd.(高橋製作所) was requested by Swift to manufacture the telescope of Nippon Telescope Industry Co., Ltd.

In Japan, there are almost no complete telescope products from Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd.

I am glad to see Sans and Streiffe Mod. 601 to see the whole picture of Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd. and to see the transition of Shusuke Kojima's design.

This Sans and Streiffe Mod. 601 was manufactured between 1958 and 1959.

Attached Thumbnails

• 602.jpg

• Steve_M_M, mdowns, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#45 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 September 2021 - 07:32 AM

Thank you for the very informative post.  The earliest (1960) Swift 831 (77x1000mm) has the Macro Optics logo - the infinity symbol.  This telescope has excellent optics.  

Charlie

1960 Swift 77mm - Edited.jpg

831 badge.jpg

inside focus.jpg

• mdowns, Terra Nova, PawPaw and 3 others like this

#46 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 04 September 2021 - 08:20 AM

Thanks Charlie!  Somehow...  I missed the posts by you & Stephen [Stargoat] on the Macro to Astro company & logo evolution -- got MACRO in the Registry now with some Notes.  We're approaching 100 COMPANY entries, so y'all keep 'em coming!  And, if you see errors / omissions, shoot me a PM.

#47 flywing1

flywing1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 September 2021 - 01:52 PM

Hello all  

This Sans and Streiffe Model 601 is a Macro Optics Model. 602. 

I am investigating Shusuke Kojima, a designer of Japanese astronomical telescopes. Since 1955, many of Shusuke Kojima's telescopes have been exported.

There is very little information on the telescope of Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd. that I have. This Forum has a lot of information about the telescopes of Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd., which will help me in my research.

Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd(マクロ光学工業)is a Japanese optical machine manufacturer founded in March 1958 by Shusuke Kojima(小島修介) and others.

The activity period is about two years.(Mar.1958~Feb.1959)

Shusuke Kojima left the Goto Optical Manufactring Co.,Ltd(五藤光学研究所) around March 1951, and was called the Astro Service Center(アストロサービスセンター), where he personally repaired telescopes.round December 1952, he joined Asahi Optical Co., Ltd.(旭光学工業) and designed a six-inch refraction equatorial mount.

He established Astro Optics Co., Ltd. (アストロ光学)in November 1954 and exported Astro S-5 and others under the brand name of the other party(Tasco ,Akron etc.).

In February 1958, Astro Optical Co., Ltd. stopped operations due to poor management, and Shusuke Kojima was removed from the board of directors of Astro Optical Co., Ltd.

After that, the newly established company was Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd. 

The telescope designed by Shusuke Kojima at Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd. is different from the previous designs. 

Swift 831, 838, 839 are designed by Shusuke Kojima, and they will be inherited by Takahashi Seisakusho's products.

Shusuke Kojima newly launched Nippon Telescope Industry Co., Ltd(日本テレスコープ工業). in 1959.

Then, in May 1959,  Swift Instruments,Inc.  Tokyo branch was established.

The Japanese trading company that cooperated with the establishment of Swift Instruments,Inc.  Tokyo branch was Associated Manufacturers Agency Co., Ltd(相互産業).   Originally, Nippon Telescope Industry Co., Ltd. was supposed to supply telescopes to Swift, but Shusuke Kojima died suddenly(Jun.1960), and the management of the company was disrupted.

Therefore, Takahashi Seisakusyo Ltd.(高橋製作所) was requested by Swift to manufacture the telescope of Nippon Telescope Industry Co., Ltd.

In Japan, there are almost no complete telescope products from Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd.

I am glad to see Sans and Streiffe Mod. 601 to see the whole picture of Macro Optical Industry Co., Ltd. and to see the transition of Shusuke Kojima's design.

This Sans and Streiffe Mod. 601 was manufactured between 1958 and 1959.

My guess is that you are Japanese (or a Japanese speaker), considering how many Japanese-made telescopes are being discussed here, I, for one, would always welcome more participation from you :). Is there a Japanese language website/forum where Japanese amateur astronomers discuss their classic telescopes? We can hop over with google translate and learn, thanks! sorry that this might be off-topic.

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#48 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2021 - 05:01 PM

My guess is that you are Japanese (or a Japanese speaker), considering how many Japanese-made telescopes are being discussed here, I, for one, would always welcome more participation from you smile.gif. Is there a Japanese language website/forum where Japanese amateur astronomers discuss their classic telescopes? We can hop over with google translate and learn, thanks! sorry that this might be off-topic.

Link to Galakuma's web site that's loaded with classic scope info.

http://yumarin7.saku...sp/joyfulyy.cgi

• mdowns, Bomber Bob and flywing1 like this

#49 aoirotukiko

aoirotukiko

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Japan

Posted 11 September 2021 - 07:59 PM

The website about Japanese astronomical telescopes is as introduced by Charlie B.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics