•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2017 Eclipse impressions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Artignosc, Provence, France

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:26 AM

We had a long journey to get there, look at the trip: 8 airplanes (Marseille-Brussel-Reykjavik-Montréal / Detroit-Denver / Denver-Lisbone-Brussel-Marseille), 1 bus (Toronto-Detroit) 2 rented cars, plus of course, a lot of walks.

That was also a nice adventure for my wife and two of our grand children, when making a sort of quick-off about our holidays, our two kids says that the eclipse was the number one without any doubt, long before the bears family just in front of our car in the Teton park, or the geyser and colored lakes in the YellowStone one.  The second event for them was the perseïd shower from the Megantic observatory in Quebec, but that’s another story.

For the eclipse the place chosen was marvellous, a special camping was set-up close to Riverton in the Wyoming.  The place is in an Indian reserve along the nice Windriver. What a warm welcome we had here !  For the american fellows here I have to add that you have a very very nice country guys and we had a lot of fun with so nice people... my sketchbook is full of common (non astronomical) souvenirs.

I initially planned to be exactly on the line.  The day before we spend some time to find the best place to be, but that was on the middle of nowhere, under the sun for a long period with no real nice landscape to take advantage of.  Also the traffic could maybe be an issue.  We loose maybe 9 seconds of totality but decided to stay in the camp site.

So that was directly from our tent place that we stay and enjoyed the eclipse.
As for others here the transparent cloud was not an issue, nor during the partial phase of the eclipse, nor during the totality because at this moment no clouds were present around the sun.  This phenomenon of “clouds off” was already described by others here.

eclipse20170821b-l.jpg

The watercolor was done during and just after the eclipse, the support is a A4 Moleskine sketchbook with 200g paper not really perfect but lighter for the airplane... I just hilight the sun's disks and the corona after scaning.

For comparison with the other eclipse we saw - 1999 in France, this one was visible with a less dark sky, so less stars were visibles, but a more brilliant corona and much better weather. 

Looking at the horizon it was like the sun was rising all around the 360°.

During the totality I was catching 3 rapid photos (sorry sketchers) to show the corona with 3 directions (120°) of a polarizing filter, the polarizing light of the coma is something very special.  When I was young I did a long work at the ORB (Observatoire Royal de Belgique) to analyse three pictures made during an eclipse made in Kenya, that was more or less in the year 1970.  I plan to make a corona sketch with those 3 directions in a while.

What I like to do with children is to use the pinhole effect, very safe, this is the diffraction of the sun light through some holes in tree leaves.

Here, before totality I made a sketch using directly the shadows position, (lot of small croissant shapes) on the paper.  The afternoon we went to the Kingston post-office asking to add the special event stamp on the page.

arbre_ll.jpg

And here a picture of the team just after the totality showing the same effect.

P1270529_l.jpg

Voilà, I hope you can compare your impression with mine.

Michel

• Special Ed, Jeremy Perez, cildarith and 13 others like this

#2 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:42 AM

Dear Michel, I enjoyed your report very much, and the sketches too.

• Aquarellia likes this

#3 mariosi

mariosi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cyprus

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

Wonderful Michel, wonderful! 

Marios 

• Aquarellia likes this

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

Michel,

This is an excellent report of your adventure to get here and your impression of what you saw and the decisions you made about where to be.

Watercolor representation of the eclipse is wonderful and so is the multi-crescent sun views through the leaves.

You and the grandkids look to be having a great time in the photo.

I have been looking forward to this report.

Wonderful.

Frank smile.gif

Edited by frank5817, 29 August 2017 - 09:26 AM.

• Aquarellia likes this

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

Michel,

Very happy you and your family are home safe.  What an experience, oui?

I love your solar sequence with the landscape foreground--looks like a wonderful place to view the eclipse.  smile.gif 

The shadow crescents were really fun for everyone to see.  Your watercolor of them with the eclipse stamp inspired me--I just added an eclipse stamp to my sketch.  flowerred.gif 

If you get a chance, look in my post for the video I made--it's several replies down.  It's just rough footage but fun to see and hear people's reactions--I'm sure you heard much the same.

• Aquarellia and Kimbo_2112 like this

#6 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

Excellent report Michel; love the watercolor! cool.gif

#7 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

Michel,

Very good sketches of 2017 Eclipse impressions smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#8 Rutilus

Rutilus

Vanguard

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

Excellent sketch and report.

#9 Warmvet

Warmvet

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

Michel,

What a great distance to travel not only for yourself but with young children as well. And to hear them say the eclipse was better than a bear family!? That says it all! You have recorded wonderful memories and memories your grandchildren will never forget. I also recieved a postmarked stamp from a friend as a special keepsake. Yours with the crescent images sketched on the paper is very special. Thank you for sharing your experience and the beautiful images.

Cindy

#10 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:44 AM

Thank you to you all, Uwe, Marios, Frank, Michael, Eric, Tom, Rutilus and Cindy and all the "likers"

You'r so nice !

Michel

#11 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:49 AM

Michel,

Very happy you and your family are home safe.  What an experience, oui?

I love your solar sequence with the landscape foreground--looks like a wonderful place to view the eclipse.  smile.gif

The shadow crescents were really fun for everyone to see.  Your watercolor of them with the eclipse stamp inspired me--I just added an eclipse stamp to my sketch.  flowerred.gif

If you get a chance, look in my post for the video I made--it's several replies down.  It's just rough footage but fun to see and hear people's reactions--I'm sure you heard much the same.

Indeed I looked already at your video, so nice for the live impression.  I made probably a mistake, I did a timelapse during the eclipse but looking at your video, this is a much better idea.

Here's the result with music recorded during one of the music sessions in the camp:

https://youtu.be/jnLR6T5_-3U

Michel

#12 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

Thanks, Michel.  I liked your video, too--looked like you folks were having fun.  smile.gif 

• Aquarellia likes this

#13 Chicoyne

Chicoyne

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

Wow !!! toujours aussi créatif Michel. Nous arrivons de Douglas,  Wyoming aussi, et nous avons adoré. 

Au plaisir d'échanger encore sur d'autres plateformes,

Daniel Brousseau

#14 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

Michel,

That audio-visual recording was excellent.waytogo.gif

Frank :)

PS I am glad the eclipse didn't go by that fast shocked.gif

#15 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:21 AM

Thank you Michael and Frank, and merci Daniel!

Michel

#16 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

I had the good surprise to retrieve my “eclipse impression” in the very good french magazine “Astrosurf” of November.

Here a low quality scan of the 4 pages story:

507087F5-C5E8-4426-9D45-E38B742D83C3.jpeg

The text speaks about the 2 eclipses that I saw in less than 15 days, 4 photos and 4 sketches, the parity is respected graduate.sml.gif

Michel

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics