•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telescope control software for Mac?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 smithpa9

smithpa9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

Hi all - I'd like to be able to control my Meade LX200 GPS and ETX-90 scopes with my computer instead of fumbling around in the dark with the handheld paddle. I understand Meade has software (AutoStar Suite) to do that, but it doesn't appear to be available for Macs, and that's the kind of computer I have. Are there other software packages that can control my scopes that work on Macs? I've heard that some Mac users use Stellarium, but I can only find it in Windows software.  Ideas? 

Thanks!  Paul 

#2 fmeschia

fmeschia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:43 PM

SkySafari lists the Meade LX 200 GPS among the scopes it supports. Never tried personally as I don't own one, though.

• smithpa9 likes this

#3 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

Paul,

Almost any scope/mount can be controlled with SkySafari 5.  That includes any Meade.  It's available as an App for iOS and also as a program for a Mac platform like a MacBook.  I have both, but I usually use my iPad to free up desktop space on my MacBook Pro for camera software.  It's nice to see both for centering objects.  You could go with a remote monitor, too.  I have that setup in my observatory.

https://skysafariastronomy.com/

http://www.skysafari..._mac/index.html

Don

• bdyer22 and smithpa9 like this

#4 Thrifty1

Thrifty1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

SkySafari works for my ETX-105 and LX200R so it should work for you. You can buy the app for Mac or for iphone / iPad (I have both).  They go on sale every few months. The Mac version of SkySafari Pro I got for 50% off and the iPad SkySafari Plus version I just got on their eclipse sale for 80% off. 

I also purchased an inexpensive WiFi adapter so I can control the scopes wirelessly from my Mac or iPad with SkySafari. 

• smithpa9 likes this

#5 Ron359

Ron359

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

Sky Safari, Starry Night Pro and I think The Sky X will all drive Meade w/ Mac.   

• Steve Cox likes this

#6 smithpa9

smithpa9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

SkySafari sounds like a winner! I love the wifi option. Now if there is a camera (like the SX UltraStar or Atik Infinity) that can broadcast images wirelessly back to my laptop (using Starlight Live, for example) then I could observe from my living room! Is any of that possible? 

#7 Thrifty1

Thrifty1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:31 AM

See my recent post about using a WiFi video transmitter to send the video signal to an iPad or other device.

https://www.cloudyni...s/#entry8067762
  • smithpa9 likes this

#8 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albufeira, Portugal

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

OS X Software

#9 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Kuwait

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

SkySafari sounds like a winner! I love the wifi option. Now if there is a camera (like the SX UltraStar or Atik Infinity) that can broadcast images wirelessly back to my laptop (using Starlight Live, for example) then I could observe from my living room! Is any of that possible? 

You can do that with KStars + Raspberry PI (or Stellarmate if you want something ready). So over WiFi, but not just mount control, but also any cameras, focusers, filters...etc.

• Oleg Astro and smithpa9 like this

#10 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Edgewood, New Mexico

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:26 AM

I second Knro's note about Kstars and Stellarmate.  I have my mount, guide camera, and DSLR all connected to the Stellarmate - which is the size of a deck of cards and powered by 5 volts.   All the equipment goes through the Stellarmate and then to my Macbook Pro via wireless connection or if desired Ethernet.  Kstars is a nice astronomy simulator program - just not as cosmetic as SkySafari.  However, you can also control SkySafari on your Mac and have it's commands sent to your mount via Stellarmate.   But the real kicker is being able to use EKOS (included) to control your camera, guider, focusers, filter wheels etc and do extremely accurate GOTOS and polar alignment via astrometry - all on a Mac.   You can google EKOS and Stellarmate for lots of videos.

#11 dsochaser

dsochaser

Messenger

• -----

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:00 AM

I second Knro's note about Kstars and Stellarmate.  I have my mount, guide camera, and DSLR all connected to the Stellarmate - which is the size of a deck of cards and powered by 5 volts.   All the equipment goes through the Stellarmate and then to my Macbook Pro via wireless connection or if desired Ethernet.  Kstars is a nice astronomy simulator program - just not as cosmetic as SkySafari.  However, you can also control SkySafari on your Mac and have it's commends sent to your mount via Stellarmate.   But the real kicker is being able to use EKOS to control your camera, guider, focusers, filter wheels etc and do extreemly accurate GOTOS and polar alignment via astrometry - all on a Mac.   You can google EKOS and Stellarmate for lots of videos.

I third :-P

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics