•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eclipse 2017: What would you do differently...

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 WebFoot

WebFoot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:12 PM

I was skeptical of all the advice not to bother with photos at your first total eclipse, so I ignored it.  And I'm really, really glad I did.  I got about a dozen shots off during 2:01 of totality (camera was not on a tracking mount), but it did not materially detract from my awe at the sight I was seeing (nor do I feel that I missed anything).

And I really treasure the photos I got.  My composite of the corona will have a prominent place in our home for many years.

• JHollJr, REC and Thundermoon1994 like this

#52 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:50 AM

Go to a cooler location! We had a heat index of 102* in Columbia, SC. It would have been nice to see it out west. In 2024 I will be in Rochester, NY and it will be much cooler in April, could even snow!

#53 AB9MS

AB9MS

Sputnik

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

If you could have a do over, what would you do differently?

I would get a tracking mount. The sun was so high in East Tennessee it was useless trying to use a normal tripod.

This would mean I would have used Solar Eclipse Maestro to get my images.

I would remember to remove the Solarite filter (on camera lens) prior to totality and replace just after totality instead of inside totality. Oops.

Setup a video camera to record everyone.

Taken the 5 minutes to setup my temp/humidity/dew point sensor throughout the day.

You?

Go anywhere in the US other then where i did. Rained during totality.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#54 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

My guess is that it rained in very few places for the eclipse. I decided that it would be best to be on the lee side of the Appalachians, but close to take advantage of any rain shadow caused by the orographic effect.

• comprapescado likes this

#55 Sockrider

Sockrider

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

This was my first eclipse since early childhood.

I didn't travel and got 78% in my home town. I took the day off and checked my kids out of school to see it.

The local club had several scopes set up, but only one took the time to use a low power lens so the entire disk was visible. They also set a DSLR camera on the scope and left it on. It was a perfect little 3 inch screen that you could watch.

Looking with your own eyes and some inexpensive eclipse glasses was very good viewing. It's a big Sun! I'm not sure I would change anything.

The 2024 eclipse totality line is only an hour or two away from my home. I'll probably find a place to go, but only commit if the weather is good. I'll order my glasses and gear in advance and possibly try to get a picture.

• comprapescado likes this

#56 M57Guy

M57Guy

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:02 AM

5) not be too chicken to use my binoculars during totality. i left them in the car - i was afraid of one of my kids picking up the binoculars and trying to view the sun with no filters, so i decided discretion was the better part of valor.

I did the same thing for the same reason, and although I would have loved to view the corona under magnification, everyone aged 8 to 75 in my entourage can still see just as well as they could on August 20, so I chalk that up to good planning rather than an missed opportunity. cool.gif

• JHollJr likes this

#57 TheDeuce

TheDeuce

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

1.  Find a way to bring my CPC 1100 along.  No so much for the eclipse itself but to take advantage of the stunningly dark skies the night before.

2.  Put my TeleVue binos on my Skywatcher 120 ED so two people could see the eclipse at once.

3.  Get a better tripod for my PST.  I had my Coronado 60 double stack on a nice solid tripod but only had my cheapie $30 tripod for my PST.  Shaky City.

4.  Maybe get closer to the center line for more totality.  We were in Endicott NE and only had 1:52 of totality or so but from what we saw we were in a hole in the clouds with dense looking overcast all around us.  Better to get 1:50 of pristine view than 2:40 of hazy skies I figured.  As it was it was clear enough to see Regulus, Jupiter, and the rest.  The NASA video from Beatrice NE to the north east of us looked pretty polluted in comparison.

m.

• JHollJr and comprapescado like this

#58 tlc1976

tlc1976

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:05 PM

Only thing I'd have done differently is not try to leave the same day.  Either that or take serious back roads all the way home.  It was fine going there, no traffic problems.  Even the day of the eclipse, right about as it started I went to the gas station for drinks and gas and it was fine.  It was actually fine until I got near Nashville IL and I wasn't even trying to get on the freeway.  The backups were impossible.  Even putting it in neutral whenever possible, I still overheated the clutch on the Jeep.  Was able to limp it to MIdas in Mt Vernon IL, find a room, then have my dad wire me $700 for a new clutch till I could pay him back.  They were friendly and took care of me well, but if I had to do it again I'd just hang around Chester for another day.  And I had the whole week off to boot.  Looking back, what was I thinking?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics