•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Steiner vs. Steiner...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:51 AM

I'm not real familiar with Steiner. It seems like there are two Steiners. I see a German product line...

http://www.steiner.d...ting-binoculars

...and then I see another, I guess US product line...

http://www.steiner-o...oculars/hunting

Is one line supposed to be better than the other? Or is it just different products for different markets?

Edited by SMark, 04 September 2017 - 02:54 AM.

#2 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:28 AM

There is one Steiner (actually, the largest bino maker worldwide, and the only bino maker than produces nothing but binos - they are owned by Italian arms manufacturer Beretta).

Products are somewhat "tailored" to different markets, some products being available only in the US etc.

IMHO, some of their binos are good or even very good (Commander 7x50, 2016 Nighthunter 8x56), some are not worth the money (some of the Safari "ultrasharp" models).

#3 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:44 AM

I own the Steiner 7x50 Marine.  They're very bright and sharp.  And yes, I think there's only one Steiner.

#4 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

Any idea then why Steiner has two websites, each with a completely different line of hunting binoculars?

What got me here with this question was that I was looking at one particular binocular on the first Steiner website, and then I found the second Steiner website. On that second Steiner website is a very similar, but yet different binocular with a different name. Comparing the specs of each, I am sort of leaning towards one of them, but it would be nice to try both. But it would seem that finding them both together is rather unlikely. So I'm now back around to the question of... "Why are they doing this anyway?"

4.gif

#5 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:33 PM

I honestly don't know.  I buy most of my binoculars from bhphotovideo.com.  They have a nice collection of Steiners.  Actually 47 different ones.

#6 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

Thanx. B&H does have one, but not the other. It appears that there is a divide of product lines between Europe and US. 

#7 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:12 AM

Any idea then why Steiner has two websites, each with a completely different line of hunting binoculars?

"Why are they doing this anyway?"

Qood question.

But not the only one:

Why keep they telling us that with their "Sports Auto Focus", which isn't "Auto" at all and has nothing to do with sports, everything remains sharp from 30 meters to infinity and so (some of) their binos don't need a central focusing mechanism, when in fact this is just marketing lyrics ?

confused1.gif

#8 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:27 AM

Yeah, it's just IF with some extra depth. It's all meaningless to a stargazer anyway. I suppose to the hunters and the military it's probably a bigger deal.

#9 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:20 AM

Yeah, it's just IF with some extra depth. .......

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think image depth ("Schärfentiefe") has mainly to do with magnification (it correlates with the reciprocal square of the magnification)  and with the accommodation capacity of the eye (i.e. has also much to do with the age of the observer), and - to a lesser degree - with the effective diameter of the exit pupil.

So if Steiner binos really had extra depth, compared to others, they would have overcome physical limitations that are the basis of many good optics books and articles by renowned bino experts like EdZ or Holger Merlitz, and Steiner should then be awarded a Nobel prize in physics ...

#10 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:46 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think image depth ("Schärfentiefe") has mainly to do with magnification (it correlates with the reciprocal square of the magnification)  and with the accommodation capacity of the eye (i.e. has also much to do with the age of the observer), and - to a lesser degree - with the effective diameter of the exit pupil.

So if Steiner binos really had extra depth, compared to others, they would have overcome physical limitations that are the basis of many good optics books and articles by renowned bino experts like EdZ or Holger Merlitz, and Steiner should then be awarded a Nobel prize in physics ...

I own a pair of the Steiner 7X50 Marine binoculars.  They're IF, so there is no magic.  You just focus the eyepieces and you're good to go.

#11 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

I own a pair of the Steiner 7X50 Marine binoculars.  They're IF, so there is no magic.  You just focus the eyepieces and you're good to go.

I agree (I have the 7x50 and the 7x30 versions of the Commander), with the 7x magnification you don't have to refocus as often as with a 8x or 10x, even if you are at an advanced age like me smile.gif, so this may look like "magic"  wink.gif  (but I still wonder why Steiner puts a label at each eyepiece reading "Sports Auto Focus")

#12 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

"Sports Auto Focus" is purely marketing hype.  It's sad Steiner still uses this ploy.

Bill C has a section of his book all about this...

Rich

• shrike3612 likes this

#13 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

I believe the IF system Steiner use is to focus on a object a good bit away from you (100yds) then everything is in focus to infinity, my 7x30 works like that though it still is possible to focus on nearer objects but you lose the large depth of view,D.

#14 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

That's called hyperfocal distance.  Nothing special that Steiner can take credit for there...

https://en.wikipedia...rfocal_distance

Rich

• Pinac likes this

#15 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:50 PM

"Sports Auto Focus" is purely marketing hype.  It's sad Steiner still uses this ploy.

Rich

He also has a section in his book about liking the Steiners.  It's in Section 9.  He says they "shared top honors" in the drop test with the Swarovskis and are very rugged.  That ruggedness is because they use plastic and glued in prism assemblies.  In addition, in the caption on the picture he says that one of the Steiners was "optically a fine performer."

#16 fjnlsa11

fjnlsa11

Mariner 2

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

What got me here with this question was that I was looking at one particular binocular on the first Steiner website, and then I found the second Steiner website. On that second Steiner website is a very similar, but yet different binocular with a different name. Comparing the specs of each, I am sort of leaning towards one of them, but it would be nice to try both. But it would seem that finding them both together is rather unlikely. So I'm now back around to the question of... "Why are they doing this anyway?"

4.gif

Did you decide on which Steiner binoculars you wanted to try out? 

#17 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:22 AM

Thanx. B&H does have one, but not the other. It appears that there is a divide of product lines between Europe and US. 

Some optics companies/manufacturers have both a USA website as well as a Global one.

Models & model names can vary from one part of the globe to another.

Stan

#18 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

I have a Steiner 7x30, yes they are assembled with Superglue, (I have seen the video on them being made), mine have a IF system where you focus on an object at around 100ft away and hen they stay in focus to infinity, they have their uses but not stargazing, D.

#19 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:35 PM

I had a 15x80 bought from a US Navy outlet not long ago.  Thought I could use it for astronomy but it turned out to be a complete failure.   They can even compete with a vintage 8x30 E Nikon under dark sky. They use super glues to put objective lens barrel to body.  So if you try to re-collimate it by twisting the objective you can accidentally twist off the barrel. What a lousy design! 

#20 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:10 AM

Steiner "invented" quite a few fancy words like the auto focus.

#21 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:53 PM

I had a 15x80 bought from a US Navy outlet not long ago.  Thought I could use it for astronomy but it turned out to be a complete failure.   They can even compete with a vintage 8x30 E Nikon under dark sky. They use super glues to put objective lens barrel to body.  So if you try to re-collimate it by twisting the objective you can accidentally twist off the barrel. What a lousy design! 

Actually they do that on purpose.  It makes them more rugged.

#22 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:51 AM

4.gif

Did you decide on which Steiner binoculars you wanted to try out? 

I did... https://www.cloudyni...town/?p=8172750

#23 shrike3612

shrike3612

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: South Korea

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

Rich

I agree with it. 

#24 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:37 PM

Some Steiner models are made in China, they also tend to lean towards the hunters and to a lesser degree birders,D.

#25 ov1vas

ov1vas

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Country: Venezuela - City: Caracas

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:56 PM

Hello guys.
I just bought for $ 50 an old Steiner 7x50 EB bino (green color).
It has details in the rubber-armored but it is perfectly in optics and lenses.

The model is named in different ways:
Steiner 7x50 EB
Steiner Commander 7x50 EB with illuminated compass and integrated reticle (or reticule).

This Steiner 7x50 EB binocular has a serial # 39156, I estimate it is from the year 1979 onwards

I can't get the specs for how old it is.

I want to know the year of manufacture of this Binocular?
What is the exact Feet @ 1000Yard?
What is the exact FOV and AFOV of this Binocular?
What type of lens coating does the Binocular have according to the year of manufacture?

Someone who knows the story can help me obtain this information.

Thank you all

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics