•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Steiner vs. Steiner...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 ov1vas

ov1vas

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Country: Venezuela - City: Caracas

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:00 PM

Good morning everyone.
I am writing to you because I need your help on this Steiner 7x50 brand binocular:

https://www.army-sto...ernglas-BW-used

A few months ago I already bought a Steiner Comarder 7x50 with compass and reticule (year 1991).
The compass is damaged and it is not suitable for South America, but the lens is in perfect condition, its visual lens is very clear, bright and sharp, you can see many details in great depth:

https://www.army-sto...ander 7x50[12]"

Now I'm seeing on Ebay in my country (MercadoLibre) that they are selling another Steiner 7x50 model but I can't get any information about this model:

https://www.army-sto...ernglas-BW-used

What do I want to know:

What was the year of manufacture of this model?
Is there a difference in the optics and coatings of this model and the 1991 Comander?
Can it have better or equal lenses than the Comander 7x50 that I already have?

Please know the history or qualifications of this Steiner model, I will appreciate your information.

#27 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:06 PM

I'm not familiar with that model but looking at it reminds me of post-war glass from the late 50s to late 70s is my best guess. You might contact the seller and ask.

I would be surprised to learn that it had coatings as good as your 1991 Commander. I have a Steiner long body 7x50 from W. Germany (Bayreuth) and it offers great views but not equal to the Commander, especially in light gathering and FOV abilities.

I hope you can find something better that that for 300 Euros.

~ Foss 

#28 chris charen

chris charen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Auckland. New Zealand

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:51 PM

I have had 6x Steiner binoculars over some 20 + years which includes some of their 'alpha' ones, ie. an 10x44 XP. I have non currently and there is reason for that which comes down to their inferior optical and build qualities.

Steiner seem to spend more on their global advertising then on their products and their Q. and A.

Their international nomenclature is confusing and the specs tend to be limited and what specs they mention are wrapped up in sales speak and hyperbole.

Finding credible reviews on most Steiner's is limited and perplexing and reviews that do get positive reviews seem to come from 'paid' reviewers.

Cloudy Nights has limited reviews and feedback on them and the few comments made are not always positive so it is hard to win over an audience of critical thinkers when it comes to optics.

So when it comes to Steiner's I am a harsh critic.

Chris

Edited by chris charen, 29 October 2020 - 12:20 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics