•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Brrrrr.. whats too cold?

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#251 doctordub

doctordub

Vanguard

• Loc: New Rochelle, New York

Posted 11 January 2022 - 12:15 PM

15°-25°F depending on wind speed.

CS

Jonathan

#252 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: On the bleu dot, 45.20 n 123,09 w

Posted 11 January 2022 - 12:19 PM

-35 c with the windchill factor. But sunny grin.gif

#253 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2022 - 02:07 PM

I lied in my last post, I'm not _quite_ as soft as I thought, I'm about to venture outside and it's heading down to around 12c.

I may be some time.

#254 mountain monk

mountain monk

Gemini

• Loc: Grand Teton National Park

Posted 11 January 2022 - 09:36 PM

Since I live in a cold part of the country (my record here is -54F), and was a mountaineer all my life, I am very tolerant of cold. I can observe down to 32F without gloves. Below that and bundled up with lots of good gear, I'm fine down to OF. Below zero it's not much fun but I will sometime push it because of the sky. My record is -17, but I consider that a stunt rather than a policy. I note that many people in the clubs here put their scopes away in October and take them our again in May, but they sure miss a lot of great skies.

Dark skies.

Jack

#255 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 11 January 2022 - 10:30 PM

Bummer for us that Orion is a deep winter constellation; good for Aussies and Kiwis.  There's only a few good nights I can observe in Orion in January and February.  I was out tonight for about 1.5 hours. It dropped to about 36F, and I was done.

#256 Zednik

Zednik

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:01 AM

I'm good to 15 degrees F maybe lower, with Carhart overalls and coat, gloves, hoodie. A few nights ago, I was out in low 20 degree temps for about three hours. My favorite site is only 20 feet out my basement door so it's easy to stay longer if I want.

I have a nice set of electric heated clothing from motorcycle riding packed away since I don't do much of that anymore. Think I'll be digging that out soon!

Great suggestion about the welcome mat to keep your feet warm, I'll be getting one soon.

#257 mcmaker

mcmaker

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cracow, Poland

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:38 AM

One thing i stick with while observing in winter, is when you think you are dressed warm enough then get dressed even warmer ;) 

• SNH likes this

#258 900SL

900SL

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:13 AM

At what temperature is astrophotography gear at risk?

By this I mean things like brittle fracture (steel etc shows a marked transition from ductile to brittle fracture, the transition temperature depends on the alloy)

I'm assuming that very cold conditions can induce stresses or drop out in interference fit components due to contraction, also differential thermal contraction between dissimilar metals.. 

#259 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

ISS

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 13 January 2022 - 06:50 AM

At what temperature is astrophotography gear at risk?

By this I mean things like brittle fracture (steel etc shows a marked transition from ductile to brittle fracture, the transition temperature depends on the alloy)

I'm assuming that very cold conditions can induce stresses or drop out in interference fit components due to contraction, also differential thermal contraction between dissimilar metals.. 

Telescopes aren't subjected to big stresses, and certainly not big shocks of the kind that cause fractures, so the kind of material failure that you're talking about is a total non-issue at any temperatures common where a significant number of people live. My guess is that it's also a non-issue in Antarctica, with temps down to -130F (-90C).

However, electronics generally perform poorly in cold weather, batteries become completely non-functional, and anything with moving parts is likely to suffer problems with differential expansion and frozen lubricants. These kinds of problems tend to start becoming serious around -4F (-20C). All of them do have solutions; after all space telescopes operate in ultracold conditions, and there are plenty of professional scopes of various kinds in Antarctica.

#260 mrflibbles

mrflibbles

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:21 PM

I lol at people when they say +32*F is too cold. For a week it was -35*C here in Calgary. Couple that with 50mph winds and that's a recipe for frostbite within minutes to exposed skin. 

Even for a Canadian who is used to those temps. I stayed behind a transparent dew shield and used my 2 flesh lenses to observe the night sky.

#261 SNH

SNH

Viking 1

• Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:36 PM

About 16c/60f

Yeah, I'm soft... and I live somewhere warm. smile.gif

I lied in my last post, I'm not _quite_ as soft as I thought, I'm about to venture outside and it's heading down to around 12c.

I may be some time.

So, it's been over two days since we last heard from RaulTheRat...he was going to bravely attempt observing at 54F. Did he survive!?! Is he alive!?! We must know!!!

Sorry, man, couldn't help myself since my average wintertime high is 9C.

Scott

• DSO Viewer AZ likes this

#262 mcmaker

mcmaker

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cracow, Poland

Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:44 AM

That's funny, 9C during wintertime is something unthinkable for me. I remember one immaculate night two years ago with no wind but the temperature was at -14C or 6F. That was the time when i learned hard way that wearing winter shoes would be better idea than sneakers ;)

• LDW47 likes this

#263 LDW47

LDW47

Voyager 1

• Loc: North Bay,Northern Ontario,Canada

Posted 14 January 2022 - 04:30 PM

Now we are getting western Canada's cold, -30 / -40° at nite for the next week or two. Every one is welcome to come up and view under what will be clear, black skies. Even do some ice fishing during the day, lol.  PS:  Did I mention the winds, lol.

• Big_Eight likes this

#264 Mordred3202

Mordred3202

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:39 PM

Just went for an hour and a half observation at -21°C. The sky is a beauty tonight. Usually im not a fan of that kind of cold night but it was worth it for the views. Finaly have been able to catch the andromeda galaxy! It was worth it even if it mean going out in the cold and wind

#265 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 16 January 2022 - 02:59 AM

I always get a good laugh at all of the responses over the years from the people that think 0-10C is bitter cold....

It starts to get "cool" to me around -10C. Cold is below -20C.

My favorite cold weather observing story is the time I bundled up to go watch the Geminids on a perfectly dark -30C night. I'd set up my reclining tubular plastic weave lounge chair an hour earlier, and as soon as I settled back down on it, all of the plastic shattered into a million tiny pieces and dumped me into the snow.

Edited by 17.5Dob, 16 January 2022 - 03:10 AM.

• LDW47, Stevegeo and Look at the sky 101 like this

#266 LDW47

LDW47

Voyager 1

• Loc: North Bay,Northern Ontario,Canada

Posted 16 January 2022 - 09:58 AM

I always get a good laugh at all of the responses over the years from the people that think 0-10C is bitter cold....

It starts to get "cool" to me around -10C. Cold is below -20C.

My favorite cold weather observing story is the time I bundled up to go watch the Geminids on a perfectly dark -30C night. I'd set up my reclining tubular plastic weave lounge chair an hour earlier, and as soon as I settled back down on it, all of the plastic shattered into a million tiny pieces and dumped me into the snow.

Not surprising, that type of plastic in that cold don't mix very well, lol.  PS. How were the views, lol ?

#267 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted Yesterday, 12:02 PM

Because it's a One Gravity Chair...it worked perfectly...it also knows laying on the ground gives you a marvelous view of the sky....if you see dirt, turn over.

• CowTipton likes this

#268 firemachine69

firemachine69

Viking 1

Posted Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Loaded a pair of lithium energizers into my GLP Friday night.

GLP said "nope, not happening" after only being on the scope for five minutes in - 30C. My optical finder isn't mounted right now, so it all went back into the shed.

(And there was absolutely no way I was going to play with a metal tube dob in that kind of frosty weather.)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20220115_185916600-01.jpeg

Edited by firemachine69, Yesterday, 02:06 PM.

#269 Hayballs

Hayballs

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: 56.946° N, 2.197° W

Posted Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Yesterday was the 1st clear sky since tye new year(and first night in 3 week of clouds) but the -34°C was too cold for me. Even with plenty of cloths and being in my backyard, as John said: if its not fun, its work. cant wait for warmer days to enjoy watching the sky again

My goodness that’s cold. Where about is this?

#270 Mordred3202

Mordred3202

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 04:54 PM

My goodness that’s cold. Where about is this?

Im south of montreal (quebec, canada) it was windy but the view made it worth gearing up for the cold weather for the few minutes i went out ( but didnt stay long enough to bring the telescope)

Edited by Mordred3202, Yesterday, 04:56 PM.

• firemachine69 likes this

#271 brentelgeuse

brentelgeuse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern New Brunswick

Posted Yesterday, 08:59 PM

Every time the sky is clear this winter in northern NB it's -20, -25. I go out for brief spells until I can't feel my fingers. 

Seriously, it's true. I couldn't go out all winter otherwise.

temps.PNG

Edited by brentelgeuse, Yesterday, 09:00 PM.

#272 Mordred3202

Mordred3202

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:46 PM

Every time the sky is clear this winter in northern NB it's -20, -25. I go out for brief spells until I can't feel my fingers.
Seriously, it's true. I couldn't go out all winter otherwise.

temps.PNG

Same here if its clear skies, its cold below -20°C for the winter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics