•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post a photo of your binocular setup!

binoculars equipment
  • Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#151 paulsky

paulsky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

Hakann,

Thanks for your photos, very interesting ...
How was the first light of the 20x60 zeiss on La Palma? I think it has very good skies, did you observe some good deep sky objects?

PD.;: La Palma (and all the other Canary Islands) have a fiscal regime different from Spain and the rest of the EU, in this sense it is as if it did not belong to the EU .... I can assure you that all canaries They are fed up with this, the Spaniards and the rest of Europeans too ....

Regards,

Paul

#152 hakann

hakann

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

Hi Paul,
This will be off topics.

I has several times here at CN wrote about my trips whit the bino set-up, LaPalma 3 years in a row in new moon in December and Sahara Sky Hotel, IVT in Austria alps, ITT in Germany, Steerns Mountains in Oregon and Oregon SP, Stellafane and Oz Sky in Australia and Sweden SP etc.
I use the Zeiss very rarely here in Sweden as so bad sky.

First light at LaPalma 2015 was a great experiance. ( first catch was of course M42 )
Learned traced my very first Messiers there and as I had no idea what bino I really bought vs magnifications etc.
I got to learn this bino produce a jet-black background if SQM over 21 and whit a 3 mm pupil and 3 degree in FoV they fit really well on thoose objects as Andromeda, Pleiades and bigger open cluster etc.
And just to scan around is awesome.

I bought also 2 new Swarovski EL’s so 10X at 32 mm and 50 mm, but I sold both of them.
Did not really enjoyed them, but of course great optics.
The 32 mm was to small and I had hard time hold them.
They had not the jet-black background as I love whit the Zeiss.
Jimi Lowrey from Texas used them as many others on my trip, and Jimi was amazed on the optics and we had great sky and a great time in Steerrns 2017 ( days before OSP )

A special moment for me was also first night direct at darkness in Australia at Oz Sky when I just took them to the brightest spot ( Eta Carinea ) WOW !
But this binos does real well on colours at smaller object’s like Jewel cluster.
I just did love chasing clusters in southern sky whit them.

Many experience observers has use them and it’s always ; Wow, what in the h...
But maybe the best view was last December at LaPalma at over 2.000 meters and a SQM readings at 21.92 at the Pleiades.
That was truly amazing sight !
I had some bad seeing there but that night was great.

The Acratech heads is working nice on this set-up and its steady and the Gitzo beefy Series 5 tripod is just great to use.
( but I also use them hand-hold whit the mechanical IS ) as that’s really why I bought them.

Idea last December was actually use them in Atacama desert at 5.000 meter ( by using oxygen )
But I had no time for that trip, so I went instead to LaPalma again.
Idea on Chile is now on the solar eclipse 2019.
I know they are very expensive and many might think they are not worth it.
I bought them at 1.000 Euros and repaired the IS at another 1.000 Euros ( plus the Canarias tax.. Ok..

Anyway, today I has bought a new set as I enjoy them so much, so for me they is worth the price.

Edited by hakann, 14 February 2018 - 06:13 AM.

• paulsky likes this

#153 paulsky

paulsky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:29 PM

Again, thank you very much for your interesting post!

Regards,

Paul

#154 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

It is heavy!

#155 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

It is heavy!

Attached Thumbnails

• 62747D7A-9E52-4283-B3DF-96BFD9A393DC.jpeg

#156 Passerine

Passerine

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: California SF Bay Area

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

It is heavy!

WOW.  Someday you need to upgrade the chair with a power reclining function.  And after that I'd definitely go for the cloaking device...so people will leave you alone and not constantly make you get out so they can try.

Dave

#157 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:36 PM

OR....buy a pair of 45 or 90 degree BTs.

#158 Klitwo

Klitwo

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Orion's Arm in the Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

You can always look around for a pair of WWII 20x3 120mm Big Eye Nikkos .  Nice to have mounted on your deck or backyard observatory....

https://thumbs.worth...955ce10c082.jpg

https://www.worthpoi...-ship-413619856

P.S.  I can't verify the objective size...but they sure look bigger than a 120mm...more like 150mm.

Klitwo

#159 PXR-5

PXR-5

Skylab

• Loc: NC

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:08 PM

Post a photo or two (or three!) of your binocular or binoscope setups! I'd love to see the different combinations of mounts and customizations people have made over time.

I checked to see if there were any threads worth bumping, but I couldn't find anything good. I figured I'd try to get this kickstarted with a couple shots of my failed bino shootout tonight. I was driven away by a literal horde of mosquitoes. But, at least I got a couple of decent shots to take home along with my 20 or so welts.

My homemade GOTO Binochair is not anything really new. It's been around for a few years. It's made from a trashed IKEA semi-reclining chair I found sitting next to a trash dumpster. It has a 40K object database that moves the Altitude (cable drive) axis and Azimuth axis (gear drive) with a dual NexStar 4SE servomotor drive on each axis powered by NexStar 4SE electronics, hardware, software and a NexStar 4SE hand controller....complete with some barbell plates on each side and a couple of small 5 pound weights hanging on the back to help counter-balance my body weight as the chair moves about in the Altitude axis. I even used a pair of trashed white ironing board legs for the padded foot rest stand which is an old black padded chair seat I found in the trash. To be honest...I don't think I have over $300 worth of parts and materials invested in it in total...if that. It's not a electro-mechanical work of art...and I didn't build it for beauty...but at the end of the day when it get's dark...when I hit the "on" button...it becomes a nice comfortable computerized ride about the heavens. Just plug in the celestial object you want to observe...and just like a NexStar 4SE...in less than 30 seconds, it will take you there with it centered in your big binoculars FOV......

P.S. Mounted in the 3rd. pic below is a pair of 16x80mm Parks binos and on occasion...I have even mounted my C-8 on it too. I usually hang a thermos of hot coffee on the side of the arm rest for those long observing nights behind the hand controller.

Klitwo
Looks like the original Time Machine :)

#160 Klitwo

Klitwo

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Orion's Arm in the Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:50 PM

Post a photo or two (or three!) of your binocular or binoscope setups! I'd love to see the different combinations of mounts and customizations people have made over time.

I checked to see if there were any threads worth bumping, but I couldn't find anything good. I figured I'd try to get this kickstarted with a couple shots of my failed bino shootout tonight. I was driven away by a literal horde of mosquitoes. But, at least I got a couple of decent shots to take home along with my 20 or so welts.

My homemade GOTO Binochair is not anything really new. It's been around for a few years. It's made from a trashed IKEA semi-reclining chair I found sitting next to a trash dumpster. It has a 40K object database that moves the Altitude (cable drive) axis and Azimuth axis (gear drive) with a dual NexStar 4SE servomotor drive on each axis powered by NexStar 4SE electronics, hardware, software and a NexStar 4SE hand controller....complete with some barbell plates on each side and a couple of small 5 pound weights hanging on the back to help counter-balance my body weight as the chair moves about in the Altitude axis. I even used a pair of trashed white ironing board legs for the padded foot rest stand which is an old black padded chair seat I found in the trash. To be honest...I don't think I have over $300 worth of parts and materials invested in it in total...if that. It's not a electro-mechanical work of art...and I didn't build it for beauty...but at the end of the day when it get's dark...when I hit the "on" button...it becomes a nice comfortable computerized ride about the heavens. Just plug in the celestial object you want to observe...and just like a NexStar 4SE...in less than 30 seconds, it will take you there with it centered in your big binoculars FOV......

P.S. Mounted in the 3rd. pic below is a pair of 16x80mm Parks binos and on occasion...I have even mounted my C-8 on it too. I usually hang a thermos of hot coffee on the side of the arm rest for those long observing nights behind the hand controller.

Klitwo
Looks like the original Time Machine smile.gif

Yeah kinda. For those interested and who want a more detailed description of the GOTO Bino Chair and how it works and it's overall construction...Astronomy Technology Today (July/Aug. 2012 - Vol. 6 Issue 4) and Sky & Telescope (Gary Seronik Telescope Workshop) July 2012...ran a multipage story on it (at the same time) in their July 2012 issues....See the following ATT & S&T magazine cover page links for reference.... >

https://www.deepspac...August_2012.jpg

http://downmagaz.com...kytelescope.jpg

Klitwo

Attached Thumbnails

• GOTO Bino Chair.jpg

• PXR-5, denis0007dl and CAAD9 like this

#161 taxibill

taxibill

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Aurora, Colorado

Posted Yesterday, 04:36 PM

I got a good deal through CN classifieds on an Orion Giantview 25x100 binoculars.  At 10 pounds, no way these monsters could be used hand held, so I started thinking parallelogram mount.  I started shopping around, and decided rather than dropping 500 bucks on an Orion Monster p-mount, I'd try my hand at making my own.  One year later after three major revisions here's what I came up with.  And I assure you between materials and tools and trips to the hardware store, I spent a good deal more than $500.  I call it the Binocrane.  The mount is rock solid and sports binocular mounts on both ends of the parallelogram.  Shown here with the Orion 25x100's on one end and my Nikon Aculon 16x50's on the other end (look closely, a little hard to see).  The rotation bearing is Teflon on Starlite FRP, really smooth.  You can sit in your chair and give the mount a little push and the opposite pair of binos swings to you without getting up.  I can change magnifications quicker than swapping eyepieces in a telescope!  More pictures and details at my website.

binocrane 02 redux.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics