So after over 5 months of speculation ( see this old EAA thread https://www.cloudyni...-8mp-43-sensor/ ) we now have a new exciting camera from ZWO that is ideally suited for our EAA needs!!!
I hope to beta test this under live sky conditions this coming Saturday night (right now forecast looks good - September 16). I will be on www.nightskiesnetwork.com & my channel name is "BigAppleSkies" - right now I am not sure if I will use a 8-11" SCT with 0.63 reducer or my F8 refractor. If anyone has strong opinion on which they would rather see please let me know.
The sensor specs are here: http://www.sony-semi...mx294cjk_e.html
The key point about this new camera for EAA and for Astrophotographers to consider are:
1. Large pixels (ASI 1600 has 3.63um this camera is 4.63um)
2. ADC Bits -- ASI 1600 is 12bit this camera is 14 bit
3. High frame rate - this new camera is capable of 120fps in 10bit mode vs about 23 fps for the ASI1600 (60fps in HDR mode)
4. Sensitivity !! a mv rating of 2,000 !! this is amazing!
5. 4:3rds size sensor 21mm diagonal (same as 1600)
6. 10mb in (3704 × 2778) for aspect ratio 4:3, UHD (3840 × 2160) for 16:9, and 4096 × 2160 for 17:9
7. USB 3 with hub for 2 additional USB 2 connections
8. TEC cooled (not sure but assume its same or better than ASI 1600 - down to -40 my guess)
9. Comes with additional 16.5mm and 21mm spacers (see 2nd pic)
10. Unknowns right now... 1) dark current... assume its very low like most of the new CMOS... 2) Price... unknown... but probably close to 1600 i am guessing.
I will try and get some dark frames over the next few days ahead of first light!