•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn looking pretty average

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xbunnyraptorx

xbunnyraptorx

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bangor, ME

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

A little messing around with the 12 inch telescope my school has. I didn't take a lot of frames, only 30 at ISO 1600, so it is pretty fuzzy. There were also some clouds on and off at that part of the sky.

Attached Thumbnails

• Saturn.png

• Sunspot, HockeyGuy, Augustus and 2 others like this

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor - Landers Scientific

• Vendors
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

You can get far better results by taking video instead of still frames with that DSLR. S&T has a good guide here, and Jerry Lodigruss has a book on it here.

• xbunnyraptorx likes this

#3 overnight

overnight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Marcos, CA

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

Try a Barlow next time!

Edited by overnight, 12 September 2017 - 10:48 PM.

#4 overnight

overnight

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

You can get far better results by taking video instead of still frames with that DSLR. S&T has a good guide here, and Jerry Lodigruss has a book on it here.

Well, its dependent on the resolution of the DSLR itself. In modern DSLRs, its true. However, in DSLRs like my D5000, the video records at a very low resolution (in mine its 720p), making it in fact worse. So it really depends on what DSLR you have.

Edited by overnight, 12 September 2017 - 10:49 PM.

#5 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor - Landers Scientific

• Vendors
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

Well, its dependent on the resolution of the DSLR itself. In modern DSLRs, its true. However, in DSLRs like my D5000, the video records at a very low resolution (in mine its 720p), making it in fact worse. So it really depends on what DSLR you have.

720p can still give you good results if you can get decent FPS. All of my solar system astrophotos were done with a 640p camera.

• overnight likes this

#6 overnight

overnight

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

720p can still give you good results if you can get decent FPS. All of my solar system astrophotos were done with a 640p camera.

That is true if you use a Barlow to get enough resolution (or already have enough focal length for that).

• Augustus and xbunnyraptorx like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics