•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Three Amigos with an EdgeHD and an ASI178MM

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:56 AM

That would be the craters Ptolemaeus, Alphonsus, Arzachel (left, top to bottom, respectively) and for good measure Albategnius on the right (note what appears to be a small crater directly on the summit of Albategnius, measured at approximately 1.5km on an LRO image). The smallest craterlets shown on the floor of Ptolemaeus seem to be somewhat below 0.9km in diameter (based upon measurements done on LRO images), that would be around 0.5 arc seconds.

Taken on the morning of September 12, 2017 using a 9.25" EdgeHD (prime focus) and a ZWO ASI178MM-Cool camera with a Baader Longpass 610nm red filter. Image acquisition in Firecapture, image processing in AutoStakkert! (best 20% of 2000 frames), Registax (wavelet sharpening), with final tweaks in Photoshop CC2017.

This is a crop (1600 x 1200) from a larger frame (3152 x 2086 pixels, near full frame on the ASI178 camera). The seeing conditions were pretty good and the moon was high in the sky, but just as I began my capture session I had low clouds from the ocean and part of this sequence was taken though thin clouds and haze which caused variations in the exposure and detail. If it had remained clear I think I would have had a really spectacular session that would have allowed me to capture more frames and also move to several other areas on the moon. I actually finished by shooting though pretty heavy clouds which compromised my my shots of Mare Imbrium and the southern highlands on the moon (Tycho and Clavius).

Attached Thumbnails

• Ptolemaeus-Alphonsus-Arzachel with 9.25 EdgeHD (Small Crop).jpg

Edited by james7ca, 13 September 2017 - 08:23 AM.

• JMP, brave_ulysses, RedLionNJ and 4 others like this

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:05 AM

And here is a sized-reduced copy of the full frame (reduced to 38% of original scale to conform to the CN posting guidelines).

Attached Thumbnails

• Ptolemaeus-Alphonsus-Arzachel with 9.25 EdgeHD (Size Reduced).jpg

• JMP likes this

#3 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Ranger 4

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:42 AM

Very nice.

#4 Mr. Joey

Mr. Joey

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slidell, LA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:47 AM

Nice work James!

I'm always amazed and delighted to see how Luna is holding up.

The old gal looks great for her age!

I've had an on-again, off-again, love affair with Luna since I was a teenager. I reckon you could say we go through phases!

Just when I get to thinking I'm finally tired of her, she catches a sunbeam in just the right way, and I'm head over heels again.

Some folks say there's only two certainties in life... Death and taxes.

I have Luna. She's my rock.

She keeps secrets, ya know? Some are very, very old... Just waiting to be discovered.

I'd say you have a "keeper" right here.

Keep up the splendid work, my friend!

Mr. Joey

#5 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

Excellent results, James. I love it when the conditions and the limits of the equipment coincide. You're always thinking "can I tease out a little more, just a little more?" - but the first pass at processing often turns out to be the best compromise between detail and noise.

Nice work all round (capture AND processing).

#6 james7ca

james7ca

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

Harry, Mr. Joey, and RedLionNJ, thanks.

I just wish the clouds had held off for another 30 minutes so that I could have finished with several other areas on the moon. I probably prepared for nearly two hours before taking this shot, and then I only had a few minutes of good conditions before the clouds arrived. I was hoping to try again last night, but we had almost solid overcast beginning right after sundown. Since the waning moon is in such a good position at this time of the year it would be nice to have some clear weather, but the forecast for the next few days is overcast and the possibility of rain (at least at night, either blow-off from the monsoon storms down in Mexico and over in Arizona or heavy coastal low clouds -- it's pretty much been one or the other for the last several months).

#7 JMP

JMP

Viking 1

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

These are wonderful!

#8 james7ca

james7ca

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

JMP, thanks for the notice.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics