•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is my plan a good one?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hello good people of Cloudy Nights.

Recently, as it appears many others have here, I pulled the old scope out and to get a look at things not on our planet.  I'm guessing the recent eclipse has fueled the bug in us again.  It's an old department store Meade DS2130, the long tube version.  I know its not a great piece of equipment, but I did get the 1.25" eyepiece version so thats a plus.  Problem is, it appears the ALT/AZ goto mount seems to have given up the ghost.  This has lead me to pondering upgrades and expanding.  I'd like to dabble in Astrophtography, I have a Canon 400D and a few entry level lenses for it.  I would like to be able to, for the time being, get a quality EQ mount that I can for the time attach the OTA of the Meade I have to it.  Then later I would like to get a new scope to put onto that mount, one I can use for visual observing as well as AP.  Hopefully the mount would be able to support bigger/better scopes as time goes.

So here is what I was considering, please feel free to tell me I'm on the wrong path, that I should consider saving more cash now to get better stuff from the start.

I was looking at this for a mount:
Orion Skyview Pro
http://www.telescope...c/34/p/9829.uts

I can attach my current Meade to that mount to get some viewing done until the funds become available for the new scope.

I was considering adding this scope to it:
Orion 6" f/4 Astrograph
http://www.telescope...19/p/116530.uts

I would like to image planets and maybe later DSOs will the 6 handle that? 

Will the mount be good for AP with that OTA? 

I'm assuming the mount would be unable to deliver good results if I went with the 8" Astrograph from Orion, is that accurate?

My reason for looking at the Skyview Pro is I can add to it as funds become available.  I can add a goto system to it, or maybe just the dual axis drive moters for quite a bit less.

I'm hoping this isn't a load of rambling and that my thoughts I've collected in my head accurately describe the phased approach I'm going for.  Basically I would like to build up a decent beginner/intermediate system over time maybe 300-500 each purchase.

#2 baron555

baron555

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lockport, IL

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:06 PM

That mount is too lightweight.  Figure a $1200 Sirius at a min for AP, regardless of the scope.

#3 nubycakes

nubycakes

Vostok 1

• Loc: Stephens City VA, USA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

i have the scope. its awesome i love it. i use a cg5 mount with it. 

#4 nubycakes

nubycakes

Vostok 1

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

i would spend the money on a good sturdy mount (one you will use for years to come). The 6" astrograph has a short FL so seeing planets and such you will need to use a barlow and a high power EP.

#5 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

Do you do AP with the Astrograph and the CG5?  I really don't want to drop the 1200 out of the gate for a Sirius, but if it just won't work, I will have to save for a bit longer.

#6 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Vanguard

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

In short, no, your plan is definitely not a good one. Co-mounting the 6" on/with the 5" will produce a very off balance situation for the mount in question. A very much stronger mount is needed, plus you will still need some manner of platform to carry the two telescopes a side-by-side and likewise counter balanced to get the drive to function properly. 

Honestly, I think that you are attempting to go too far much too fast, letting your interest and enthusiasm at the moment run away with your better judgement. I would be much more inclined to advise you to concern yourself more with obtaining just a modest-sized scope with a mount designed for it, rather than picking and choosing parts from differing manufacturers and hoping for compatibility without fabricating too many additional parts yourself.

Likewise, apparently being very much a newbie, I'd forego thoughts of immediately jumping into astro-imaging lest you be very disappointed with the outcome. Instead, completely familiarize yourself with the visual use of the new scope and its real capabilities for some months before giving any thoughts whatever to moving on. Beyond the Moon, successful astro-imaging through a telescope of the planets and stars is truly an art and it generally takes years of fiddling and practice to get anything like what you see presented on the CN or the Internet.

BrooksObs. 

#7 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

In short, no, your plan is definitely not a good one. Co-mounting the 6" on/with the 5" will produce a very off balance situation for the mount in question. A very much stronger mount is needed, plus you will still need some manner of platform to carry the two telescopes a side-by-side and likewise counter balanced to get the drive to function properly. 

Honestly, I think that you are attempting to go too far much too fast, letting your interest and enthusiasm at the moment run away with your better judgement. I would be much more inclined to advise you to concern yourself more with obtaining just a modest-sized scope with a mount designed for it, rather than picking and choosing parts from differing manufacturers and hoping for compatibility without fabricating too many additional parts yourself.

Likewise, apparently being very much a newbie, I'd forego thoughts of immediately jumping into astro-imaging lest you be very disappointed with the outcome. Instead, completely familiarize yourself with the visual use of the new scope and its real capabilities for some months before giving any thoughts whatever to moving on. Beyond the Moon, successful astro-imaging through a telescope of the planets and stars is truly an art and it generally takes years of fiddling and practice to get anything like what you see presented on the CN or the Internet.

BrooksObs. 

I think you misunderstand.  I do not intend to mount 2 tubes for use at the same time to the mount.  I will mount my current, then when I can afford a different/better scope, purchase that, remove the current scope and attach the new one.

Also, I don't want to jump right into photographing.  I intend to use the scope for visual observing at first while I acquire the necessary equipment to start doing AP. 

Basically

1. Get good mount that will last has the capacity to add better scopes to later
  2. Use that with current scope until a new scope can be purchased
  3. Get new scope
  4. Observe, save and acquire AP stuff
  5. Attempt AP at a beginner level.

It sounds like the Sky View Pro doesn't have the muscle at a 20lbs rating though, so I will have to think about saving up for that CG5

#8 Oriondk

Oriondk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Antelope, CA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

If I were buying a mount for AP I'd go with the Orion Sirius and a small APO triplet refractor. Just my thoughts on the matter.

#9 Oriondk

Oriondk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Antelope, CA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:45 PM

BrooksObs. 

I think you misunderstand.  I do not intend to mount 2 tubes for use at the same time to the mount.  I will mount my current, then when I can afford a different/better scope, purchase that, remove the current scope and attach the new one.

Also, I don't want to jump right into photographing.  I intend to use the scope for visual observing at first while I acquire the necessary equipment to start doing AP. 

Basically

1. Get good mount that will last has the capacity to add better scopes to later
  2. Use that with current scope until a new scope can be purchased
  3. Get new scope
  4. Observe, save and acquire AP stuff
  5. Attempt AP at a beginner level.

It sounds like the Sky View Pro doesn't have the muscle at a 20lbs rating though, so I will have to think about saving up for that CG5

Missed this post. You might want to consider a DOB for observing and then save for the mount and small refractor for AP.

#10 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

Unfortunately, most folks who do both imaging and visual have separate setups for each (although we may swap components back-and-forth). The tasks are different. Now, the basic idea of buying a solid German Equatorial Mount and using it for both tasks is OK, but the differences between visual and imaging will start compounding after that point because there's no perfect one-size-fits-all solution. You may also find that you prefer a different type of mount for visual. 

In particular, I tend to enjoy lower-technology visual setups (old-school and modern) as an antidote to my higher-technology imaging rig (which I've never actually looked through). Ironically, I'm a small refractor guy so my OTAs are pretty similar. You'll usually see more variety in terms of what people use (small refractors vs. big Dobsonians).

You'll get better answers about the imaging side of things if you go ask around in the Beginning & Intermediate Imaging Forum (versus the Beginners' Forum). 

• Oriondk likes this

#11 nubycakes

nubycakes

Vostok 1

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:07 PM

Do you do AP with the Astrograph and the CG5?  I really don't want to drop the 1200 out of the gate for a Sirius, but if it just won't work, I will have to save for a bit longer.

I do. still pretty new to it myself, I like the setup seems to work for me (using dslr) when i move on to CCD imaging (when i move) i am however updating to a sirius mount. the cg5 is a good introductory mount in my opinion.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics