•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pentax K1 with damage - I wonder if I could do a cooling mod on it.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

I am really tempted to snag this, silicone that crack in, then remove the and modify bottom plate and make a cooling mod using smaller fans where I don't mess up the SR system, then use it as a dedicated astro camera. http://www.ebay.com/...rc=1&rmvSB=true

I just wonder how expensive it will go. Also, has anyone ever done something like this?

#2 ZeroID

ZeroID

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

I chopped into my old Konica Minolta after I upgraded to SONY A77V as a test exercise before I did a proper cooling mod on my 450D with a Peltier TEC. Cooling only really works if you can get it directly on the back of the sensor with a copper finger and a TEC. If it's cheap enough and you want to learn and experiment it's worth having a go.

#3 HockeyGuy

HockeyGuy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vaughan, ON, Canada

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:15 PM

If you enjoy a challenge, go for it! I installed a cooling mod on my D5300 using a copper finger, TEC, heatsink and fan. I think I'll be debayering my sensor as part of my next project; time to go mono smile.gif

#4 j4b2w

j4b2w

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:53 PM

I haven't used him, but there is a local guy here who does camera mods for astrophotographers.  He's well regarded locally and has done a little work for NASA.  If you're interested and don't wind up doing the mods yourself, his site is here.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics