•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Neptune & Uranus, 4/5 Seeing C14, 9/13/17

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sfugardi

sfugardi

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: CT

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

Taken this morning in good seeing and transparency with heavy dewing. 7x10' Neptune runs at 31fps prime RG610 shows some nice banding and a storm around 38deg. 40,000frame composite de-rotated and stacked in WJ. Triton was nicely visible on the screen during the captures. Even with a dew shield and the dewbuster set to 7, I still had some minor dewing which needed the hair dryer before moving onto Uranus. The Neptune animation is made from 3 6K stacks spanning 60min. I cranked the dewbuster to 15 for Uranus which was still not quite enough. Uranus was running at 59fps, 85% Gain using 1.25x barlow yielding approx. f20 for 5 10min avis with final 40,000frame composite from WJ. During my 6th Uranus avi run, I suddenly lost power from my garage GFI going off. Even after resetting it, it tripped again so I suspect either water in one of the several extension cord connectors or maybe they are just too old. Figures, the session abruptly ended just after Uranus peaked in altitude, but a reasonable excuse to catch some sleep before work. Hope you like them

Regards,

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• Neptune 40K 70min 2017-09-13-0526_1_web.jpg
  • Neptune 60min 2017-09-13-0455_5_pipp.gif
  • NeptuneStorm091317.JPG
  • Uranus 40K 50min 2017-09-13-0645_9_web.jpg

• Sunspot, JMP, Jeff B and 22 others like this

#2 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

Impressive. Nice job!!

#3 phileefan

phileefan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:12 PM

Very nice outcome Steve! That is the kind of luck I usually end up with. bangbang.gif  If your dewing was that bad, I'd agree with your assumption. It only takes a slight current imbalance to trip them. Clear skies.....

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

A good result on Neptune Steve! :waytogo: :waytogo:

Probably the same spot - or most certainly in the same position - as the one we measured on 23rd August & possibly even earlier, although I've only looked at the 23rd August data where my measurement is similar to your own for all intents & purposes. :) 

#5 TonyStar

TonyStar

Ranger 4

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

Nice results, Steve. Makes me wanting to take an aim at Neptune and Uranus at some point soon..too bad the seeing has been the crappiest this past week besides that 4/5 window last night.

Edited by TonyStar, 13 September 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#6 sfugardi

sfugardi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

Paul, Mike, Mo, Tony, Thank you! And thanks for the "likes" as well. According to the internet, my extension cords are way undersized for what I am trying to run out back so I will be upgrading this weekend. The dewing was so bad last night, water was constantly dripping off my dome. My new mirror cooling procedure was a bust, after reaching a perfect balance after 90min I shut off the fans only to find a +0.5degC hot mirror 2 hours later. It looks like running the 2 fans at 10v for 90min for the initial cooling, then cut back to 1 fan 5v to maintain the temperature drop from there. Still need to repeat it.

Regards,

Steve

#7 exaxe

exaxe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: france

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

very impressive!

#8 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:44 AM

Remains to see if the pôle is darker or not.

Important point.

Stanislas-Jean

#9 sfugardi

sfugardi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

exaxe, thank you for the compliment!

Stanislas-Jean, both of my Uranus attempts, this one and my 8/31 try, did not show any darkening of the north polar cap using the RG610 filter. Even after stretching the data and trying a lower quality estimator in AS2. Realistically, 4/5 seeing is as steady as it gets for me and my focus and collimation were also good. I am wondering if a deeper filter like an IR685 would show more detail there.

Regards,

Steve

#10 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

And the pôle?

#11 sfugardi

sfugardi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:38 AM

Stanislas-Jean, I ran a north polar map and it shows no polar cap darking. When I compared my Uranus from Weds AM (trying to stretch and orient the same) to exactly 1 year ago (9/13/16) using the same setup and conditions, it appears that the "whitish" north polar hood region has actually grown in size vs 2016. I would be curious if others have observed the same expansion.

Regards,

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• Uranus 2017 vs 2016.JPG
  • Uranus NPC 2017-09-13-0645.9_MAP.jpg

• CPellier and happylimpet like this

#12 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Apollo

• Loc: Saugus, MA

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

Stanislas-Jean, I ran a north polar map and it shows no polar cap darking. When I compared my Uranus from Weds AM (trying to stretch and orient the same) to exactly 1 year ago (9/13/16) using the same setup and conditions, it appears that the "whitish" north polar hood region has actually grown in size vs 2016. I would be curious if others have observed the same expansion.

Regards,

Steve

Steve, these are fabulous results! Nice work! waytogo.gif

As to the northern bright zone's apparent expansion: While it's possible it has extended a bit furthur south in latitude, I think at least most of what you've noticed is viewing perspective change due to the fact the N pole of Uranus is currently pointing towards us by about 4° more than last year.

• CPellier and happylimpet like this

#13 djhanson

djhanson

Viking 1

• Loc: Chandler, AZ

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

Nice cloud detail Steve!!! :) cheers, DJ

#14 sfugardi

sfugardi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

DJ, Thank you!

John, Thanks for the feedback! It's crazy that I imaged Uranus on the same day 1 year apart under identical conditions. How did you know that the north pole of Uranus is pointing closer towards earth? If the seeing is good again, I may try for f25 since 60fps seems a little excessive for a 10min avi run

Regards,

Steve

#15 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:21 PM

https://www.universe...sons-on-Uranus/

http://earthsky.org/...-like-on-Uranus

http://www.enchanted...usseasons.shtml

https://www.windows2.../U_seasons.html

I think it is in these somewhere directly or indirectly Steve confused1.gif lol.gif...I like to bookmark stuff to read when I feel like boning up a bit. wink.gif

• sfugardi likes this

#16 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:48 AM

Regards,

Steve

Steve, hereafter the answer I wrote to Darryl for the same questions in an other forum here.

It's not enough convincing for me.

Indeed, we met negative conditions as in first the seeing, but my feeling is not only.

For Neptune you known this, the albedo variations are delicate, not strong, difficult to reveal.

Personnally, I think the filter use remains the main factor and the apertures in game.

Roughly, visually we may have the red area data and imagers above the red area until 1µm wavelength.

I think also the typical sketch that I inserted on CN forum would be a logic target with a pole dark even on your field of obs. and probably lighter.

For Uranus: same for the pôle. On the jpn alpo site other documents show this.

Last 2016 opposition there was also lot of data showing that, but shared with and not with among the community.

Personnally, pôle not captured on Neptune but on Uranus currently.

However, the data status you provide remain well quoted through the star images, important point.

Sothat we are leaded to conclude, even the pôle is existing darker, for the imaging area of capture and apertures in game this would be delicate, difficult to show.

My opinion about.

Now regarding the more extension of the clear area you imaged, the perspective of the planet, highlighted here already by John, involves in appearance this effect.

Now on such tiny disk and method in use,the acuracy noticeable of the boundary would be not excellent.

Say around 10° for the best. Difficult to conclude about.

However you provided a document, not only a picture.

Good skies, good hope.

Stanislas-Jean

• sfugardi likes this

#17 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Apollo

• Loc: Saugus, MA

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

DJ, Thank you!

John, Thanks for the feedback! It's crazy that I imaged Uranus on the same day 1 year apart under identical conditions. How did you know that the north pole of Uranus is pointing closer towards earth? If the seeing is good again, I may try for f25 since 60fps seems a little excessive for a 10min avi run

Regards,

Steve

In addition to Darryl's links Steve, you can use WinJupos to determine the orientation of Uranus:

Looking at the Uranus Ephemerides under the Graphics tab, check out the "CLat" value (central latitude of the planet's disk) between now and a year ago. Now it's 40.9°, while last year it was 36.8°.

• sfugardi likes this

#18 sfugardi

sfugardi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:58 PM

John, thanks for the info! So I went back and tried a north pole projection on Neptune and the darkening of the pole and surrounding bands do seem strange.

Regards,

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• Neptune North Pole 2017-09-13-0526.1_MAP.jpg

#19 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:07 PM

...strange indeed Steve, looks like something "happened" there. confused1.gif

Funnily enough I was going to attempt to construct a couple of polar projections etc in answer to Stan's post/questions in our thread today, since he wrote identically there also...I'll probably do that before going outside for today's chores: it's a wonderful sunny Sunday here today! smile.gif

Not sure what the seeing opportunities this week are, however... frown.gif

#20 wilexpel

wilexpel

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: PARIS

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

Very beautiful images !

#21 sfugardi

sfugardi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

wilexpel, thank you!

Mo,  I can't explain the data. So I really thought last night was to be best of the best, 5/5 seeing 3/5 transparency. I had the mirror cooled to +0.1C and at 9PM the milky way was looking good, figured to come out at 10, 2hr prior to Neptune transit, only to find complete cloud cover! I did however, discover that I can screw my RG610 filter on the bottom of my short extension tube to allow the 1.25x screw on barlow to be up close the the 224MC camera so I am hoping to try this configuration next time out. For some reason the threads at the bottom of my 1.25 & 1.5x barlows do not accept filters so I end up putting them before the barlow which increases the magnification. I tried taping on the filter but it did not fit in the holder. I also ordered a 1/4" and 1/2" 1.25" rings to try to optimize my Uranus magnification. Hopefully, the skies will clear soon.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by sfugardi, 18 September 2017 - 11:46 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics