•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

h-alpha or full spectrum conversion?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dhtx16

dhtx16

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

Hello everyone, I own a Nikon D5300 which I use with my Orion 80mm ED for imaging. I am fairly new to the hobby of astrophotography, but I am already thinking of doing a conversion to it so I can get the best results. I am bit confused on what is best for me b/c I still want to use my camera for daylight imaging. Do I need an IR/UV cut filter? (from what I've already read on CN) If so, which one exactly? I'd greatly appreciate it if someone can post sample pictures with a similar setup like mine. Thanks!

#2 BryanGx

BryanGx

Explorer 1

• Loc: Syracuse, NY

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

Since you're new to astrophotography, my advice would be to leave your DSLR alone.  An unmodified DSLR is still a really good astrophotography tool as you build more and more skill. 

Dedicated CMOS astro cameras have gotten so good in the last few years, they've become better than DSLRs (even modified DSLRs).  The ZWO ASI1600 is one example.  Good CMOS units, with cooling capabilities, can also do double duty as both a good planetary camera and a good deep sky camera.  A DSLR isn't well suited for planetary imaging. 

I would build more skill with the unmodified Nikon, then invest in a good CMOS camera down the road. 

• Stelios likes this

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Skylab

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:30 PM

+1 on the above. Keep the DSLR. Mods made much more sense a few years ago. 

#4 ebeygin

ebeygin

Vostok 1

• Loc: King City Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

I have a modded D5300, and an orion e80, so I guess i HAVE to respond smile.gif)

Actually, I agree with the above comments.

I came from a stock D3200, and ofcourse the results were mind boggling. the halpha really popped out with the modded D5300. But the camera sensor on the D5300 is really better than the D3200, so thats not just the modification that is doing that. Check out some stock D5300 photos on astrobin on some halpha dsos, you'll notice that they are able to capture quite a lot using the stock camera. You will obviously be a lot more sensitive to the reds after you do an halpha mod, and you can use it in daytime (once you white balance).

My biggest annoyance now, having an ed80 and a dslr, is the bloated star field. That is why I crave either the asi1600mm or better yet, the qhy163m (same sensor, better execution in my opinion).

So, I would try a few shots first, and if you want more halpha to pop out, mod it, but remember that at some point, you'll want tighter stars. Sure you can probably put some filters on it (life pixel supposedly puts an uv/ir filter on it).. but i'm just saying how it is..

dsos like the viel nebula, or north american will really pop out, but the star field will overwhelm and will be bloated. some of it can be corrected in post processing, but for those deep shots, Id rather invest in a cooled cmos. 

I'll still keep my modded d5300, but probably stick it on a rokinon 135mm or something. The camera is still amazing!!!!!

oh, and if you need to see some pics with a setup similar to yours: https://www.cloudyni...y-astro-images/

Edited by ebeygin, 13 September 2017 - 07:33 PM.

#5 ebeygin

ebeygin

Vostok 1

• Loc: King City Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:48 PM

not a fair comparison, but just showing the difference between my cameras:

Single 240s sub off halpha modified D5300
singlesubmodded

Single 240s sub off stock d3200
singlesubd3200

Edited by ebeygin, 13 September 2017 - 07:49 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics