•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mach 1's new auto-adjusting gearbox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zackyd

zackyd

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Portland, OR. USA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

Would love to get some feedback on the experiences so far with the new gearbox design. I have seen a few things pop up online concerning extra harmonics showing up in the periodic error. Anyone that has had both and care to comment on one vs the other or give their thoughts on the new design?

Thanks!

#2 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

Hi Zack, as far as I'm concerned the auto adjusting gear box solved the two small issues I used to complain about the Mach I. One was the gear mesh and the other was the clutch being sticky during balance. I think the new design was a great upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

#3 leemr

leemr

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:32 PM

Doesn't answer your question I'm afraid, but I love the auto adjusting gearbox. I've had a couple of EQ6s in the past, and meshing those is a huge pain in the nether region.... now I disengage my Mach 1 to balance my gear, something you wouldn't dream of doing with many mounts.

#4 zackyd

zackyd

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Portland, OR. USA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for the responses Tolga and Lee.

Lee im curious why you disengage your worm gear in lieu of disengaging the a clutch? I assume then there is a notable difference between disengaging clutch vs disengaging worm gear?

• tolgagumus likes this

#5 leemr

leemr

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:17 AM

The axes are notably stiff with the worms engaged but clutches disengaged. I get the impression it's not much of a big deal and the mounts will do well when balanced with just the clutches disengaged, but since I have a newer model I can very easily disengage the worm to get better balance, and so I do.

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Skylab

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

The sensitivity to balance with the worms disengaged is *much* higher than I've experienced on any mount (including the Mach1) with clutches disengaged. 

• mikefulb and epdreher like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics