•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My son trashed my 32mm TV Plossl. Now what?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Ezzz

Ezzz

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cochrane, Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

Hey folks,
It's true. My 18 month old son managed to get his hands on my 32mm TV Plossl...and now no more eyepiece. But he's cute, so all is forgiven. So my question is this: Should I replace my 32mm Plossl, or is there something out there that is a little sweeter? I really enjoyed that eyepiece and the FOV. Crisp and clear. I have an 8" SCT at 6.3, if that helps.
Thanks!!
  • wrnchhead likes this

#2 woodscavenger

woodscavenger

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:06 PM

Pics......I have to see what this little destructo-kid can do.   

• bmurphy495 and Ezzz like this

#3 AUricle

AUricle

Messenger

• Loc: Frankfort, IL

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

Hang the child by his thumbs in a hot garage for a couple days.

He'll learn a new respect for astro-gear, and become a devoted astronomer..........or not.lol.gif 

I won't state the obvious...... 

• tomwall, Ezzz and Augustus like this

#4 Retsub

Retsub

Mariner 2

• Loc: Houston,Tx.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:30 PM

Check it out a little closer first. Contact TV for a repair. You may get a pleasant surprise from them. Hope so. Very nice people there. *BW*
  • paul hart, DaveJ and Ezzz like this

#5 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:49 PM

Until they're 3 or 4, sometimes 11 or 12, destroying daddy's toys is about the only job they can hold down, eh? Give him a hug and a cookie, as I suspect you have.

If it can't be fixed it can certainly be replaced. Another 32 Plossl, a 24 Pan or an ES68 24 are the usual suspects. All the TFOV's will be = with the 24's giving you more magnification. All are good-to-excellent.

edit: The exit pupil of the 32 may be more useful on some objects with your DGM NPB, offsetting the value of the 24mms' extra magnification.

Edited by havasman, 13 September 2017 - 11:51 PM.

• wrvond and Ezzz like this

#6 outofsight

outofsight

Viking 1

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:32 AM

Why not try a much cheaper ($40) Celestron 32mm, your SCT doesn't require the best, high dollar, EPs. It gets good ratings, as most basic plossls do. And you can get the "3 Years Drops & Spills destructo insurance" for an extra $9.99. shocked.gif

https://www.bhphotov...&m=Y&sku=285669

People spend an awful lot of money on eyepieces for scopes that would work just fine with el cheapo EPs. F/10 scopes, most people will never be able to tell the difference. Have fun, your kid did.

Edited by outofsight, 14 September 2017 - 12:35 AM.

• Vesper818, Ezzz, SonnyE and 1 other like this

#7 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:39 AM

Replace it with another 32mm TV Plossl. They are not that expensive and you get the Televue high quality you have come to love. Mark

• DaveJ, Sarkikos, havasman and 3 others like this

#8 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Viking 1

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:15 AM

Hey folks,
It's true. My 18 month old son managed to get his hands on my 32mm TV Plossl...and now no more eyepiece. But he's cute, so all is forgiven. So my question is this: Should I replace my 32mm Plossl, or is there something out there that is a little sweeter? I really enjoyed that eyepiece and the FOV. Crisp and clear. I have an 8" SCT at 6.3, if that helps.
Thanks!!

A 24mm Panoptic will give you the same true field of view, but more magnification and a wider apparent field. The extra magnification will make it more suitable for viewing DSOs.

If you want to keep the brighter exit pupil for use with filters, and your scope supports 2" eyepieces, then Explore Scientific is having a sale on its 62 degree line. The 32mm is just $120 through the end of the month, and it will work fine in your F6.3 scope.

That will give you a much wider FOV than the plossl, without sacrificing exit pupil.

If your scope doesn't support 2" eyepieces, and you still want the brighter exit pupil, then just stick with another 32mm TV plossl.

Why not try a much cheaper ($40) Celestron 32mm, your SCT doesn't require the best, high dollar, EPs. It gets good ratings, as most basic plossls do. And you can get the "3 Years Drops & Spills destructo insurance" for an extra $9.99. shocked.gif

https://www.bhphotov...&m=Y&sku=285669

People spend an awful lot of money on eyepieces for scopes that would work just fine with el cheapo EPs. F/10 scopes, most people will never be able to tell the difference. Have fun, your kid did.

Edge correction isn't the only concern here. There's also contrast and transmission to think about. Also, I have two "el cheapo" Japanese series 4000 plossls, and they both exhibit signs of astigmatism. They just don't quite come to a sharp focus, whereas my other eyepieces focus just fine.

Edited by CrazyPanda, 14 September 2017 - 07:35 AM.

• Ezzz and Augustus like this

#9 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

Kids.... lol.gif

After you "Kiddy Proof" the rest of your gear, call Televue.  They are great folks to talk to and can repair just about any damage for a reasonable price.

If your little boy really did destroy the eyepiece - as in nuclear meltdown - then I would simply buy another 32mm Plossl to replace it. If you are looking for an excuse to upgrade, then do what I did and buy a 24mm Panoptic.  Same FOV, more magnification, darker sky background... it is simply a "More, Better" eyepiece, IMHO.

Cheers,

Ron

• DaveJ and Ezzz like this

#10 Jeff B

Jeff B

Skylab

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

A 30mm or 35mm Ultima or the Parks/Orion cousins are great eyepieces.  

But I particularly like the Denk 32mm "Neutral" Plossl.  FOV not quite as wide as the TV, but mine are more "comfortable", just as, if not sharper, more neutral in color tone and, best of all, cheaper (!).

Jeff

• bremms and Ezzz like this

#11 Ezzz

Ezzz

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cochrane, Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it!

I will post a couple of pics when I get home tonight. The eyepiece fell from about 5 feet onto our hardwood floor and completely came apart. My wife collected what she thought were all the pieces, but there was yet one more lens that was unaccounted for. That eyepiece showed up hours later... in his mouth, and then on the floor again. I also noticed that there were 3 tiny ball-point-pen-size chips on one of the lens. Not sure if this would show up while viewing, but I'm calling it a write off.

I keep on hearing how wonderful the 24mm TV Pan is, but I still cannot wrap my heard around how the FOV would be the same as the 32mm. I have the 21mm Hyperion. Would buying and using the 24mm TV Pan just be redundant then? I'm pretty sure this item has been talked about to death and then back again...

• drneilmb likes this

#12 sg6

sg6

Vanguard

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

Certainly agree that we we need pictures of this, and a front and both side pictures of the culprit.

Could you put him up for auction on eBay then use the proceeds for another TV plossl? jawdrop.gif  jawdrop.gif   jawdrop.gif

Better thought offer him to TV for quality and robustness testing.

1 nagler a week should be a fair wage.

• Ezzz likes this

#13 drneilmb

drneilmb

Ranger 4

• Loc: Decorah, IA, USA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

I keep on hearing how wonderful the 24mm TV Pan is, but I still cannot wrap my heard around how the FOV would be the same as the 32mm. I have the 21mm Hyperion. Would buying and using the 24mm TV Pan just be redundant then? I'm pretty sure this item has been talked about to death and then back again...

I recently tried to get an answer to that same question here: https://www.cloudyni...-24mm68-degree/

The consensus seemed to be that the same piece of sky is spread out over a larger area of your visual field offering increased magnification and thus increased image scale and a darker background. If you could find an example of the nonexistent Explore Scientific 68 degree 24mm, then the consensus in my thread was that people preferred using it over the 32mm Plossl. Upgrading to the 24 Pan for 2-3 times the price of the Plossl might make budgetary sense for you, but it doesn't for me.

-Neil

• Ezzz likes this

#14 REC

REC

Cosmos

• Loc: NC

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

Look at a ES or Meade 24mm SWA 68* for replacement. It has the same FOV as a 32mm, but more magnification. Also they are great for DSO viewing with a nebula filter. I use it all the time in my 8" SCT.

Also, looked for them used as well.

• SteveG and Ezzz like this

#15 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

TFOV = (EP Field Stop Diameter/Scope Focal Length) x 57.3

TV 32Plossl field stop diameter = 27mm

TV 24Pan field stop = 27mm

source = TV website eyepiece spec chart - http://www.televue.c...page.asp?id=214

The TFOV's of the two ep's are the same in any particular scope.

• turtle86, RAKing, CrazyPanda and 2 others like this

#16 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

When I was in my first photography class, the instructor told us, "After you frame the shot and think you have it perfect - take three giants steps forward. Then refocus and shoot."

Basically, the Panoptic 24 (and ES 24) are doing just that.  You have a 32mm eyepiece with a 50 degree FOV and the 24mm eyepiece with a 68 degree FOV is like taking three GIANT steps closer to the stars. cool.gif   You will see the same part of the sky, but it will be magnified a lot more and the background sky will be darker because of the smaller exit pupil.  This should also give you much better contrast -- and contrast is the name of the game!  As I said before: "More, Better."

I am basically saying the same thing Dick just said, but in a different way. flowerred.gif 

Cheers,

Ron

• turtle86, coutleef, Ezzz and 1 other like this

#17 woodscavenger

woodscavenger

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:05 PM

In his mouth??   Yikes!!   lucky that didn't slide down his gullet and lead to a lengthy ER visit.........

We still want pics.....

Now be honest, were you showing off to him.....Hey kiddo, your Daddy is soooo cooool he has this beautiful EP......

• Ezzz likes this

#18 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Televue repairs eyepieces.

Best,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett, 14 September 2017 - 12:16 PM.

• Ezzz likes this

#19 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Viking 1

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it!

I will post a couple of pics when I get home tonight. The eyepiece fell from about 5 feet onto our hardwood floor and completely came apart. My wife collected what she thought were all the pieces, but there was yet one more lens that was unaccounted for. That eyepiece showed up hours later... in his mouth, and then on the floor again. I also noticed that there were 3 tiny ball-point-pen-size chips on one of the lens. Not sure if this would show up while viewing, but I'm calling it a write off.

There's *slight* redundancy between the 21 Hyperion and 24 Pan, but the Pan will produce a TFOV that matches the 32mm Plossl exactly, while the 21 Hyperion will be a bit smaller. So if you really wanted to keep the FOV of the 32 Plossl, but upgrade the magnification and apparent field of view, then 24 Pan (or equivalent from another brand) is the way to go. 

That said, with increased magnification, comes decreased exit pupil, and thus dimmer image. Here's a breakdown of the differences between the eyepieces being discussed here:

https://eyepieceplan...;ep=2,11,94,650

You can see that the 32mm Plossl produces a nice bright 5mm exit pupil and 40x, while the 24 pan produces a 3.81mm exit pupil and 53x

IMO, the 24 Pan is going to be a better overall viewing experience.

- 3.81mm exit pupil is still quite bright - plenty bright enough for broadband, narrowband, and OIII filters

- The extra magnification will be better for observing in general, as the more you can magnify small details, the better.

- Stars don't dim with diminished exit pupil, but diffuse objects (including background sky) do, meaning there will be better contrast for star clusters in the 24Pan

- The 68 degree apparent field is quite comfortable to look through, and you will feel more immersed in the view

In general, those above "pros" for going with the 24Pan outweigh the few situations where you only need 40x magnifcation but a 5mm exit pupil. A very large exit pupil at very low power definitely has its place, but I would argue it's a more specialized place than how the 24Pan will perform in your scope. 

But, if you *really* like the way the 32 Plossl behaves (eye relief, exit pupil), there's nothing wrong sticking with that.

• Ezzz likes this

#20 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

I have the 21mm Hyperion. Would buying and using the 24mm TV Pan just be redundant then? I'm pretty sure this item has been talked about to death and then back again...

The 24mm Panoptic is a nicer eyepiece, so from that perspective the Hyperion is redundant, not the Panoptic.  I would sell the Hyperion.  In fact I'd pretty much consider a 32mm Plossl and 21mm Hyperion close enough to one another to be redundant.

Other nice "worth considering" replacements for both Hyperion and 32mm Plossl include the 22mm Vixen LVW, 22mm Panoptic (used only), 32mm Brandon, 28mm Edmund RKE, 18mm Meade Series 5000 UWA (used only).

Best,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett, 14 September 2017 - 12:25 PM.

• havasman and Ezzz like this

#21 Penarin

Penarin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orion, IL

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

Ouch.  That is rough.  Poor eyepiece.  Glad your little one is OK.

So far my astro gear has been safe, but I did have a nice pair of HiFiMan in-ear headphones that my 3 year old daughter found.  She killed them.  But like you said, she's cute, so all is forgiven.

One question is, how much did you like / love the TV 32mm plossl?  If it was a favorite of yours, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

I might be an oddball but I really enjoy starting low and gradually stepping up the power until I get the best view for each object.  So in the 1.25" world I have a 40mm plossl, 32mm plossl, and I was lucky enough to grab an Explore Scientific 24mm 68 degree EP.  I use all three and couldn't pick a favorite.  

• Ezzz likes this

#22 starbase25

starbase25

Viking 1

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

I have the 21mm Hyperion. Would buying and using the 24mm TV Pan just be redundant then? I'm pretty sure this item has been talked about to death and then back again...

The 24mm Panoptic is a nicer eyepiece, so from that perspective the Hyperion is redundant, not the Panoptic.  I would sell the Hyperion.  In fact I'd pretty much consider a 32mm Plossl and 21mm Hyperion close enough to one another to be redundant.

Other nice "worth considering" replacements for both Hyperion and 32mm Plossl include the 22mm Vixen LVW, 22mm Panoptic (used only), 32mm Brandon, 28mm Edmund RKE, 18mm Meade Series 5000 UWA (used only).

Best,

Jim

+1

• Ezzz likes this

#23 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:50 PM

Get a 24 Panoptic.

• Ezzz likes this

#24 aeajr

aeajr

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

Everything is a cost/benefit analysis.

What do  you use the 32 mm Plossl for?   I use mine as a step up from my finder scope and for very wide targets.   A 32 mm Plossl is relatively low cost and provides a pretty good image, even in the cheaper brands.

If you are using it for quick positioning and then going to something else, a less expensive Plossl will probably get the job done.

If you are observing with this eyepiece, based on the FOV, then it would probably make sense to upgrade to one of the 24 mm/68 degree eyepieces or press your 21 mm Hyperion into service for this purpose.

I would:

1. Call TV and get an estimate to have it fixed
  2. Try using your 21 mm Hyperion in its place.

If it makes sense to fix the Plossl then do it.  It has been serving your needs.

Maybe you will like the 21 mm Hyperion for this purpose and don't need anything else.

If fixing the Plossl is not economical, and the 21 mm Hyperion leaves you dissatisfied, then you upgrade to one of the 24 mm 68 degree eyepieces.

OR just use this excuse to upgrade

Hey Honey, the baby broke my eyepiece.  I need to buy a new one and get the one.   Then get the one you want to get the baby off the hook.

smile.gif  Such a good Daddy!

What?  What the heck is the baby doing with your eyepiece?  Why are you leaving things laying around?  Don't you know that could lead to chocking?   Thanks goodness he did not get it in his mouth.     Are you listening to me? You never put anything away!  My Mother ....

Edited by aeajr, 14 September 2017 - 02:55 PM.

• Ezzz likes this

#25 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

I keep on hearing how wonderful the 24mm TV Pan is, but I still cannot wrap my heard around how the FOV would be the same as the 32mm. I have the 21mm Hyperion. Would buying and using the 24mm TV Pan just be redundant then? 

If you think about it a little, the maximum FOV angle is created by the light ray angle of the telescope aperture and the eyepiece field stop. What happens in the lens configuration of the eyepiece downstream from the field stop doesn't change that angle. Here's a drawing - http://www.telescope...t/eyepiece1.htm

As above, the ES68 24 or 24 Pan will outperform the Hyperion.

• Ezzz likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics