•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece Repair?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kruegon

Kruegon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Birmingham, AL, USA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:12 AM

I received two eyepieces today. Both are Meade 4000 DS Super Plossle. One is a 9.7mm, the other is a 26mm. The 26mm appears to have had its rubber eyecup torn off. Is there any way to replace this piece or is it lost forever?

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Apollo

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:21 AM

I have those same eyepieces.  I don't know whether Meade sells replacement rubber eyeguards, but Orion does:  http://www.telescope...pieces/e/70.uts

There are generic rubber eyecups (similar to the Meade ones) that could work:  https://www.ebay.com...rubber&_sacat=0

#3 happylimpet

happylimpet

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:51 AM

I also saw a trick somewhere a few days ago where you use bicycle inner tube, cut and rolled back on itself, as an eye cup. Looked excellent.

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

I'm on my phone and can't give you the web site. I'll post it when I get home. The worst people to ask is Meade customer service.

#5 Kruegon

Kruegon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

I didn't even call them. I've already seen how poor their product support can be.

#6 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

Well darn it all. Got some from Telescope Warehouse (http://shop.telescop...3 fits Meade ep)

a couple months ago, but they seem to be out of them. Sorry.

#7 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Viking 1

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

I also saw a trick somewhere a few days ago where you use bicycle inner tube, cut and rolled back on itself, as an eye cup. Looked excellent.

Yup, been doing that for years.

I keep a variety of bike tube in the shop for just that purpose !

Works great on both EP's & bino's:

CS

Bob

PICT6204s.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, planet earth and happylimpet like this

#8 Kruegon

Kruegon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

I MAY have located a set of replacement eyecups. They claim to fit Meade eyepieces. It doesn't specify if they are replacements or add-ons, but I ordered them none the less. They should be here in a few days. I'll update you guys then.

#9 Kruegon

Kruegon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

So the eyecups arrived frim Amazon yesterday. They are actually successful replacements. The original eyecups would fold down out of the way, these will not. They're a little stiffer than the originals, but with as much light pollution as we have around here, I can't imagune I wouldn't use them. Here's the link in case anyone else needs them:

https://www.amazon.c...p_a3UqPrIb8Bhd8

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

CS

Bob

Bob:

Thanks for the photo.. I have seen the recommendations of using a bicycle inner tube but never picked up on the fact that you had to double them back over themselves, now it all makes sense... I'm eager to get back home to my stock of bicycle tubes and give it a try.

I stock bicycle inner tubes because between my wife and I, we have 15 bicycles...

3825153-jon's garage Oct 2007.jpg

Jon

• happylimpet and Peter Besenbruch like this

#11 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Viking 1

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

You bet Jon, After you cut the tube pieces, give them a quick dish-soap wash in the sink to remove the talc that is always inside the tubes. Also in addition to the small diameter tubes you obviously have alot of, you might pick up a 'baloon-tire size (ie 2.75") for large diameter EP's.  You will always have eyecups for any application.  More or less a necessity for us DIY-EP nuts... :)

BTW your garage looks about like mine, too many bikes and too much astro stuff :)  We were down to 4 bikes after the kids all left home, then came the grandkids and we are back up to countless bikes.  Of course the telescopes just seem to multiply on their own somehow, I spend a few weeks working in the shop and somehow another one appears :)

CS

Bob

• Jon Isaacs and happylimpet like this

#12 Kruegon

Kruegon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

More news. I discovered today that, at least some, Celestron eyepieces use the same eyecups as the Meade Series 4000 eyepieces do. That may or may not help, but its more info to use. 

#13 wrvond

wrvond

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

CS

Bob

Bob:

Thanks for the photo.. I have seen the recommendations of using a bicycle inner tube but never picked up on the fact that you had to double them back over themselves, now it all makes sense... I'm eager to get back home to my stock of bicycle tubes and give it a try.

I stock bicycle inner tubes because between my wife and I, we have 15 bicycles...

Jon

I believe I saw this on an episode of “Hoarders”...  lol.gif

• starbase25 likes this

#14 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

CS

Bob

Bob:

Jon

Tsk, tsk.

There have been a lot of threads with pictures here on CN over the years.

Be sure to use the width of inner tube equal to the O.D. of the eyepiece, i.e. use a 26x1.75 tube for an eyepiece with a 1.75" O.D.

Cut the ends of the small tube section as straight as you can so that when it is folded over the ends meet squarely.

And if you err in the length, you can always trim it or cut another.  One tube is good for a LOT of eyepieces.

#15 starbase25

starbase25

Viking 1

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

CS

Bob

Bob:

Jon

Holy pack rat!  Time for a cleanup!  :lol:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics