•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light with ES 127mm FCD100 didn't go so well - help?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 ris242

ris242

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:37 PM

They are calling it a 2.5" HEX focuser - not sure if HEX is the brand and why it is spelled in all caps - but I believe it is a rack and pinion focuser and seems to have the same functionality and adjustments outlined in that video. 

As you draw the focuser out - does it have large flats on its exterior?

(It's looks like a hexagon hence the name. Seems odd to me cause what it goes into, is round grin.gif  ).

#27 John SC

John SC

Explorer 1

Posted 23 December 2019 - 05:15 PM

I have been watching this discussion with interest for the past few days hoping someone would post something about the views they were getting with these scopes once you get the focusing issues worked out.  Regardless, I decided to wait no longer and pulled the trigger on mine this afternoon and now am looking forward to getting it in a few days.  There does not seem to be any real competitor for this, especially with the current sale price.

Here's hoping it is as good as the reviewers say.  And that ES is not about to release the next model with magic powers to improve the views.

John

#28 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 24 December 2019 - 12:13 AM

https://www.astrobin...ywbk/B/?nc=user

https://www.astrobin...n7vigo/?nc=user

https://www.astrobin...85rd/C/?nc=user

https://www.astrobin...g41h/D/?nc=user

https://www.astrobin...g41h/D/?nc=user

https://www.astrobin...mkmn/C/?nc=user

https://www.astrobin...mm3jni/?nc=user

#29 gwilson001

gwilson001

Sputnik

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 24 December 2019 - 01:00 AM

I also have this fine dust and particles in my new ES ED127.  I was too busy fighting with the focus to turn my anger at the dust inside the lenses.  Now that I have the focus resolved, I'm not sure how to attack cleaning the lenses....I'm afraid of collimation nightmares if disassemble anything.  I might mail it back to ES.  Keep me updated if you figure this out.

I have a ES ED 127 FCD100 coming in a few days and I have these same concerns as I recently bought the illuminated finder scope since it was also on sale and it came with dust and dirt and metal flakes all over one of the elements in the sealed part of the assembly - where you can't clean it.

ES customer service is very responsive and will replace it when they have some in stock (currently back ordered).  They told me that the finders are not assembled in a clean room so some paint flakes are not unusual.  Mine is covered in stuff though.  I really hope that the main scope does not have any dirt 

issues - even at the sale price that is not acceptable.

I wouldn't disassemble anything - just send it back.

#30 droe

droe

Viking 1

• Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 24 December 2019 - 01:17 AM

Here are some of the examples with the understanding these are when I first started.

https://www.cloudyni...cf-fcd-100-apo/

• Ballyhoo and mogur like this

#31 Master_Shake

Master_Shake

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:43 PM

I have a ES ED 127 FCD100 coming in a few days and I have these same concerns as I recently bought the illuminated finder scope since it was also on sale and it came with dust and dirt and metal flakes all over one of the elements in the sealed part of the assembly - where you can't clean it.

ES customer service is very responsive and will replace it when they have some in stock (currently back ordered).  They told me that the finders are not assembled in a clean room so some paint flakes are not unusual.  Mine is covered in stuff though.  I really hope that the main scope does not have any dirt 

issues - even at the sale price that is not acceptable.

I wouldn't disassemble anything - just send it back.

My finder has specs in the lens as well.  I can only see if i look through the front of the lens and not the rear.  But the on/off switch was horrendous.  Everytime i turned the switch off it ended up taking the cap off and since the solder was poor eventually the solder broke off.  I resoldered the connection and put loctite on the threads of the on/off switch (not the battery compartment threads) and now its good to go. 

#32 kevindt

kevindt

Sputnik

• Loc: Chico, Northern California, USA

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:20 AM

I have just requested return.  The sheer amount of debris between the elements of the ES 127 ED FCD100, at delivery of a triplet of this potential quality, is really not acceptable.  The elements themselves look reasonable for the price, but the cleanliness of assembly leaves a great deal to be desired - and it may markedly decrease the resale value should you wish to sell later to upgrade.

Edited by kevindt, 05 January 2020 - 01:21 AM.

#33 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:22 PM

I'm really surprised they let one go out like this. I think you are doing the right thing. Not just to maintain your resale value but also for your own peace of mind.

#34 astro42

astro42

Mariner 2

• ***--
  • Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

My new AT102ED has several microscopic metal dots, and a bit of dust between the elements.  This thrash didn't hurt the DPAC patterns, or the star & sky testing.  If it had, it would've gone back.

Interestingly I had particles between the elements in my AT102 that I bought this past summer.

When I voice my displeasure about this to Astronomics the response I got was "they are not assembled in a clean room".

No offer to return,repair or replace.

Edited by astro42, 06 January 2020 - 04:56 PM.

#35 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:13 PM

Interestingly I had particles between the elements in my AT102 that I bought this past summer.

When I voice my displeasure about this to Astronomics the response I got was "they are not assembled in a clean room".

shocked.gif  shameonyou.gif  banned.gif

#36 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:59 PM

I guess the old adage,"you get what you pay for" may contain some wisdom after all.

To sell apos as cheaply as many companies do in the market today must require some cutting of corners.

As I have observed before, it seems "ya pays your money and ya takes your chances". Or ya pays a little more...

#37 astro42

astro42

Mariner 2

• ***--

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:35 AM

shocked.gif  shameonyou.gif  banned.gif

Can't ban someone for speaking the truth.

• Steve Allison likes this

#38 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:16 AM

I guess the old adage,"you get what you pay for" may contain some wisdom after all.

To sell apos as cheaply as many companies do in the market today must require some cutting of corners.

As I have observed before, it seems "ya pays your money and ya takes your chances". Or ya pays a little more...

All about ones' expectations.    Any "apo" under 1000 dollars is going to have compromises.   In the end it really comes down to how things look at the EP.  

JMD

• Steve Allison likes this

#39 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

Agreed.

If I have to live with a little detritus between the lenses or go through the hassle of obtaining a replacement to save a thousand dollars on a good optic, seems like a pretty good trade-off.

#40 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:54 PM

Can't ban someone for speaking the truth.

lol.gif  rofl2.gif  roflmao.gif

#41 astro42

astro42

Mariner 2

• ***--

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:29 PM

lol.gif  rofl2.gif  roflmao.gif

foreheadslap.gif

#42 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

foreheadslap.gif

You're new here. You'll learn.

#43 gwilson001

gwilson001

Sputnik

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:22 PM

Astronomics told me the exact same thing regarding my ES finder scope so I went to ES directly and they will replace it when they receive the next batch sometime in Feb.

#44 gwilson001

gwilson001

Sputnik

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:33 PM

My finder has specs in the lens as well.  I can only see if i look through the front of the lens and not the rear.  But the on/off switch was horrendous.  Everytime i turned the switch off it ended up taking the cap off and since the solder was poor eventually the solder broke off.  I resoldered the connection and put loctite on the threads of the on/off switch (not the battery compartment threads) and now its good to go. 

The dirt in mine is not visible from the front and I isolated it to the sealed section where you cannot clean.  there was dirt in the rest of the finder and I was able to clear that out.  I have the same issue with the switch, it is really garbage.  For a finder at this price I consider these issues unacceptable.  My Celestron finder that came with my newtonian is clear as a bell and I think it is 1/3 or less than the price of the ES finders.  No optics should be assembled anywhere other than a clean room.  The dirt in these is actually bits of the flat black paint used inside the scope tube - it flakes off when the sections are screwed together since the threads are painted - clean room won't help that.  The paint just doesn't stick, they should mask off the threads to avoid this.

#45 gwilson001

gwilson001

Sputnik

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:37 PM

All about ones' expectations.    Any "apo" under 1000 dollars is going to have compromises.   In the end it really comes down to how things look at the EP.  

JMD

The scope referenced in this thread is normally $2300 and is often on sale for just under $1800.  At that price my expectation is that it not contain any debris on the lenses.

• Mr. Mike likes this

#46 John SC

John SC

Explorer 1

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:51 PM

Mine showed up 2 weeks ago, so far I have had two hours on one evening with sort of clear skies but temps under 20F degrees.  Took it out but it did not really get the temp stabilized before my fingers and the mount froze up.

I did find that one of my eyepieces (Orion 35mm) needs more back focus than the others - the rest can come to focus with one extension tube in the scope.  That one is going to require a second one, which is a problem because the case is not long enough to fit the scope with two extension tubes screwed in.

Oh yeah.  Case.  I bought an Astro-Tech AT130EDT case for this.  The ES127 slips right in with the single extension tube and the focuser racked all the way in.  If you turn it out about 1/2 inch it takes up the rest of the slack.  The only issue is there is no place for a diagonal or any other accessories.  But it will protect it well. Photo accompanies below.

I do have the common issue with dust inside the triplet lens.  :-(

20200118 140121
Album: ES127FCD100
2 images
0 comments

• TrustyChords and blamkin86 like this

#47 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

Mine showed up 2 weeks ago, so far I have had two hours on one evening with sort of clear skies but temps under 20F degrees.  Took it out but it did not really get the temp stabilized before my fingers and the mount froze up.

I did find that one of my eyepieces (Orion 35mm) needs more back focus than the others - the rest can come to focus with one extension tube in the scope.  That one is going to require a second one, which is a problem because the case is not long enough to fit the scope with two extension tubes screwed in.

Oh yeah.  Case.  I bought an Astro-Tech AT130EDT case for this.  The ES127 slips right in with the single extension tube and the focuser racked all the way in.  If you turn it out about 1/2 inch it takes up the rest of the slack.  The only issue is there is no place for a diagonal or any other accessories.  But it will protect it well. Photo accompanies below.

I do have the common issue with dust inside the triplet lens.  :-(

Hi John - I have the ES 102mm triplet but mine didnt have any tangible dust inside my lenses.  I would let them know and see what they say.  They have great service and IMO should do something about this.  At least try it.  These scopes are really solid and provide excellent views & are also a great value but you deserve to have a mostly dust free lens assembly, IMO.  Looking forward to a real first light report.  I hear ya on the cold.... its back to being cold here in upstate, NY and I havent been out in a while.  We did have milder weather for several weeks but the clouds ruined any chance of viewing for me, lol.

• erin likes this

#48 John SC

John SC

Explorer 1

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:50 PM

Thanks Mike.  I am leaving for South Carolina in a couple of days and I hope to bring it along if it fits in the car with everything else I have to take.  I expect better weather there.  Plus I have better mounting options for this scope to use there too.

I did contact ES, chatted with Tech support and they said that they could guarantee no image impact from that dust (I sent that picture to them) and that they would clean it whenever I sent it back.  With the lifetime warranty, and free recollimation if it ever gets out of line, I can use it a bit and then send it back at a future time.   I think if I get some astro pictures through it now and and then again after it is cleaned it will make a great experiment to see if their claims are true or not.  So that is my plan now.

John

• Mr. Mike likes this

#49 gwilson001

gwilson001

Sputnik

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:20 AM

Thanks Mike.  I am leaving for South Carolina in a couple of days and I hope to bring it along if it fits in the car with everything else I have to take.  I expect better weather there.  Plus I have better mounting options for this scope to use there too.

I did contact ES, chatted with Tech support and they said that they could guarantee no image impact from that dust (I sent that picture to them) and that they would clean it whenever I sent it back.  With the lifetime warranty, and free recollimation if it ever gets out of line, I can use it a bit and then send it back at a future time.   I think if I get some astro pictures through it now and and then again after it is cleaned it will make a great experiment to see if their claims are true or not.  So that is my plan now.

John

ES does have very solid customer service - better than you will get from distributor from what I have seen.  They back their products and I am glad to hear they are continuing to do so.

It was the positive reports of good customer service that really sealed the deal for me when I purchased my ES 127ED FCD100 which arrives in two days!  

#50 blamkin86

blamkin86

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado/Utah

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for mentioning this - I was just about to give that a whirl.

In related news, I just got mine back from ES. While I could achieve focus, it was just not very good.

According to Kent @ ES, the diagonal was way out of collimation. I'm hoping to take a look through it this weekend.

Also, the focuser is really just not that great. After several back-and-forth conversations, the manufacturing process only threads holes for two of the four focuser mechanism attachment screws (where the gears and the knob are). Anyway, the other two are just pressed against something "for collimation" which makes literally no sense to me.

If you go look at the four allen screws holding the gears on the focuser, only two of those are threaded in. The other two have some sort of threadlocker or goo or something, and they are not even all the way in. Go look...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics