•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light with ES 127mm FCD100 didn't go so well - help?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Vanguard

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:06 PM

ES does have very solid customer service - better than you will get from distributor from what I have seen.  They back their products and I am glad to hear they are continuing to do so.

It was the positive reports of good customer service that really sealed the deal for me when I purchased my ES 127ED FCD100 which arrives in two days!  

Good - post back when you get it.  I suspect you'll be OK.  I do think they should know better, and that goes not only for ES but the other companies mentioned here than to send out a scope with dusty internal lenses.  If its on the outside, no biggy - just blow it off.  But inside?  Not cool.

#52 gwilson001

gwilson001

Sputnik

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

I also have this fine dust and particles in my new ES ED127.  I was too busy fighting with the focus to turn my anger at the dust inside the lenses.  Now that I have the focus resolved, I'm not sure how to attack cleaning the lenses....I'm afraid of collimation nightmares if disassemble anything.  I might mail it back to ES.  Keep me updated if you figure this out.

I also have a new ES ED127 FCD100 OTA, but rather than the ES flattener/reducer, I have a Hotech SCA FFT58-2" flattener, and an Astro-Tech ATR8 reducer/flattener.

The Hotech requires both provided extension rings (each is 37.5 mm), giving 75 mm of extension between the hexagonal draw-tube and the adapter ring.  With the sensor of my ASI 1600MM 55 mm behind the back ring of the Hotech, I hit focus at about mid-way on the focuser.  Using the Astro-Tech with similar back-focus and with both extension rings, the draw-tube is pretty close to minimally extended at focus.  Obviously, I'm not using the diagonal.

The focuser on mine was also flopping around on arrival with the grub screws almost right out of the threaded holes in the rotation ring, and the rotation locking screw was over-tightened and boring into the inner ring metal.  The draw-tube also had almost a millimeter of lateral free play within the focuser until its adjustment grub screws were correctly tightened and the focuser and draw-tube tube aligned.  Coarse focusing movement was rough and gritty.  Once the focuser was stripped down, cleaned and reassembled correctly, it now works nicely with no free play and no image shift, and no drift with the camera and filter wheel attached.  The movement is now smooth and positive with a nice feel to both fine and coarse adjustment.

More concerning is the fine dust and several very tiny bits of shiny metal swarf visible between the objective elements, and tiny flakes of the black paint on the diagonal mirror.   No effect on the image, but not what I'd hope to find on a brand-new scope at this price.

On the positive side, once the focuser was cleaned and aligned, the OTA and Hotech flattener give nice round, sharply-focused stars to the edges of the field on my ASI 1600MM.  I don't see visible vignetting, but I haven't looked hard for it.  The weather has not yet been good enough to test things out much further.  It came with an ample free gift of cloud and rain, of course - and even this very limited testing has been done dodging between the showers, clouds and heavy dew.

I also have the garbage between the objective lenses but my debris included tiny bits of glass.  My focuser makes the view jump all over the place when using the fine focus knob and ultimately will not reach anything close to a tack sharp star.  I have sent it back to ES for service under warranty but if it comes back with any of these issues still present I will just return it and get on the list for an AT130EDT.  I am very disappointed in the quality control of these scopes and don't understand how they can ship scopes with all these issues (one of the mounting ring knobs was bent about 30 degrees as well).  ES has the most hit or miss of any of the brands I have had experience with.  I honestly don't know how anyone ends up with a good scope out of the box from ES.  I'm reserving final judgement until I get the scope back - I'm banking on the customer service reputation ES seems to have.  I also have one of their finder scopes that had all kinds of black paint flakes inside - some I could clean but some is inside the sealed prisim.  The mirror inside the 2" diag that came with the scope is so lose it rattles around every time you move the scope.  All this on a scope that has a retail price of $2400 if not on sale. 

• CyberSpace likes this

#53 TrustyChords

TrustyChords

Vostok 1

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:43 AM

This is really unfortunate. It must be a terrible bummer to be excited to receive your telescope and then see that.

I have to say, my ES 127 arrived in pristine shape, perfectly clear between the lenses and focuser works great. So they’re not all bad.

#54 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Vanguard

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:57 PM

This is really unfortunate. It must be a terrible bummer to be excited to receive your telescope and then see that.

I have to say, my ES 127 arrived in pristine shape, perfectly clear between the lenses and focuser works great. So they’re not all bad.

Me too - mines great but I understand the frustration.  This seems to happen from time to time with scopes from ES,  Skywatcher & others.  I dont think its a widespread problem but as we know "bad" experiences get a lot more press than good ones do.  I hope the OP gets it sorted out. 

• airbleeder likes this

#55 blamkin86

blamkin86

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado/Utah

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:22 PM

Oh yeah.  Case.  I bought an Astro-Tech AT130EDT case for this.  The ES127 slips right in with the single extension tube and the focuser racked all the way in.  If you turn it out about 1/2 inch it takes up the rest of the slack.  The only issue is there is no place for a diagonal or any other accessories.  But it will protect it well. Photo accompanies below.

I do have the common issue with dust inside the triplet lens.  :-(

Just a quick follow-up on this. The AT 130 case will fit, but I had to do a little creative carving on the foam inside.

The "taper" if you will for the other end of the shade, and the portion just above the focuser - those didn't match the same area from the AT130ED... so I used a bread knife and matched the case to my scope. Works fine now - but it wasn't just a drop in.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics