•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Physics 10" Mak-Cass

• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#251 MarkBWilson

MarkBWilson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:27 PM

I was told to expect mine in about 2 weeks.

• Paul Hyndman, Chris Cook, psandelle and 4 others like this

#252 Gleason

Gleason

Vostok 1

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:48 PM

How exciting for you!  

#253 timkhan

timkhan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:44 AM

Got the call yesterday, in UPS hands today (bitting fingernails)!

• Paul Hyndman, 3 i Guy, Richard Whalen and 4 others like this

#254 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

God help you.crazyeyes.gif

• Procyon likes this

#255 Tyson M

Tyson M

Gemini

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:18 PM

Both my Mewlon and TSA102 came via UPS.  I always choose the hold for pick up option though. 

• payner likes this

#256 ewave

ewave

Surveyor 1

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:20 PM

Well, congrats to the max! But if it were me and I'm investing this much time and money, I'd take a trip over to where the ota is finalized and collimated and drive off with it personally.  I'm with Peter here, certainly not UPS. 

#257 MarkBWilson

MarkBWilson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:21 PM

Mine is on the way also.  It's too far to drive to AP, so I have to trust UPS.  

• R Botero, Paul Morow, Gleason and 1 other like this

#258 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

Mine is on the way also.  It's too far to drive to AP, so I have to trust UPS.  

A situation that strikes primal fear in the most educated of men.

• psandelle, Procyon and Gleason like this

#259 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

AP does a great job with the packing. I've gotten more than a few heavy, delicate items from them and have never had a problem (knocks on wood!) 

• ewave, Paul Morow, Gleason and 1 other like this

#260 Gleason

Gleason

Vostok 1

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

This is a very exciting time, the next generation of Mak-cass instruments are coming! Does this mean 10 more years of global warming? ;-)    

I don't recall AP using UPS for my RH-305.  It came by an independent carrier with the boxes strapped to a wood pallet. Not a single scuff to the cartons and I was scheduled to receive it right off the truck. 

• ewave likes this

#261 MarkBWilson

MarkBWilson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:11 PM

Who lives in LA/OC area who wants to come over and teach me how to use this beast?

#262 timkhan

timkhan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:37 AM

This is a very exciting time, the next generation of Mak-cass instruments are coming! Does this mean 10 more years of global warming? ;-)    

I don't recall AP using UPS for my RH-305.  It came by an independent carrier with the boxes strapped to a wood pallet. Not a single scuff to the cartons and I was scheduled to receive it right off the truck. 

Well, summer weather pattern already started for us, almost a month early!

AP sent the RHA on a pallet via semi-truck carrier...I thought they do the same with the Mak. I guess since the scope package weighs 69lbs and they decided via UPS ground.

#263 MarkBWilson

MarkBWilson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

I got mine today.  I received no. 4.  It's huge.  And awkward/heavy.  I don't think I can move it in and out of my house without help unless I get a new box with wheels.  Any thoughts from others who received one?  Maybe I need to convince my wife that astronomy is really fun?

• 3 i Guy, R Botero, junomike and 1 other like this

#264 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:53 AM

I got mine today.  I received no. 4.  It's huge.  And awkward/heavy.  I don't think I can move it in and out of my house without help unless I get a new box with wheels.  Any thoughts from others who received one?  Maybe I need to convince my wife that astronomy is really fun?

Pics Please!

• Procyon likes this

#265 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

• Loc: Shanghai, China

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:21 AM

MarkBWilson, on 18 May 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

I got mine today. I received no. 4. It's huge. And awkward/heavy. I don't think I can move it in and out of my house without help unless I get a new box with wheels. Any thoughts from others who received one? Maybe I need to convince my wife that astronomy is really fun?

Congrats and pics please!

#266 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

A situation that strikes primal fear in the most educated of men.

After what UPS did to my $1200 pellet gun it is no wonder someone would stay awake at nite.

Edited by CHASLX200, 18 May 2019 - 07:31 AM.

#267 MarkBWilson

MarkBWilson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

I sure would like to post a pic, but I cannot get it to work.  I have resized the pic to be as small as possible, but this app won't take it.  Sorry.

#268 MDRP

MDRP

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

My 10" Mak arrived Thursday and its heavy, awkward, coffin-like case is definitely daunting. Fortunately, the scope and rings nicely fit into the same attractive, sturdy, light, soft, Lightware case I use for my Fastmax and shown here:

https://www.cloudyni...e/?hl= fastmax 

Fastmax (F4.5) and Slomax (the F14.5 10") have similar length (about 30"), Slomax weighs a few more pounds and is fatter, but both fit nicely into the case which is easy to carry and pack. The case  and other gear fits into the trunk of my C5 Corvette Z06, my High Performance Telescope Transport Vehicle (HPTTV). Lightware makes a longer case that can handle the 10" with dew shield attached, but I opt for a shorter case and separate transport of the dew shield. I'm still thinking through the best one-person setup/takedown procedure. 

• R Botero likes this

#269 tmaestro

tmaestro

Messenger

• Loc: West of Houston, Texas

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:00 AM

I sure would like to post a pic, but I cannot get it to work.  I have resized the pic to be as small as possible, but this app won't take it.  Sorry.

You can upload a picture of any size to imgur.com and then paste a link here.

#270 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:08 AM

Uh oh, I was hoping it would be considerably easier to handle than my 175 (~ 43 lbs).

Regarding wheels for the case, years ago someone on Cloudy Nights posted a recessed wheel mod that looked quite promising. I picked up the wheels and hardware for my 160 and 175 cases but dawdled on installing them... I may need to light a fire under my keister when the MCT arrives.  

#271 MDRP

MDRP

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:09 PM

Nothing awkward or heavy about the Lightware soft case I mentioned above. With scope inside, it weighs under 40 lbs lbs and is about 12x12x32"and has a convenient handle. No wheels or forklift required. 

#272 MarkBWilson

MarkBWilson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:25 AM

I think the best option is to keep the rings on the scope all the time with the mounting plate.  You will see why when you get the scope.  The rings are not hinged.  They are split into two pieces and must be connected by an allen wrench.  It would be awkward to place the scope into the bottom half of the rings on the mount and then attach the top half.  Seems risky, and I do not believe this can be done by one person.  I will try placing the scope (with rings and plate attached) directly onto the scope and see how that works.  I will likely opt for a custom case once I figure out the best way to handle attaching it to the mount.  There is a shop close by my home that makes good cases.  There isn't a Lightware case big enough (at least that I say on its website). 

We have had cloudy nights since I received the scope, so I can take my time trying to tackle this beast.

#273 MDRP

MDRP

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

The 10" Mak with rings and dovetail plate attached fits nicely into the Lightware case. I opted for the 32" case and will carry the dewshield seperaely. If you want to keep the dewshield attached to the scope, Lightware makes a longer, but more awkard case.  The specs for the Lightware case list the inside demensions as 11"x11", but the 12" dia Mak is a good fit in the soft but protective case and does not bulge. Lightware provides us with a handsome, inexpensive (under $200) that looks custom built for the scope. 

#274 MarkBWilson

MarkBWilson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:21 PM

Is it called Lightware Cargo 32?  With the rings and plate attached, is it hard to carry?  Sounds like total weight (with case) is around 50 pounds.

Are you lifting that dead weight and dropping it onto the mounting plate? 

#275 Gary Osoba

Gary Osoba

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

If anyone who has received their AP 10" Mak would like to do some comparisons with a custom one-off TEC 10" Mak, please let me know. It will be in the central KS area for a short while and then central NM for a few months. I doubt there will be any substantial differences visually but that's what comparisons are for- seeing what deltas might exist. Some specs on the dedicated lunar/planetary TEC:  f/20-22.5 (variable secondary focus and b.f.l. adjustment) additional fine focuser at the image plane;  additional correction provided by secondary displacement from R2 meniscus opposed to aluminized spot per Gregory; .196% central obstruction; more extensive circumferential baffling/flocking than production units; unique inner baffle tube of porous composite housing for thermal dissipation, optics better than 1/10th wave at the wavefront; .996 Strehl; BB coatings yielding avg. 99.4% transmission over full visible range per measurement following coatings; active ventilation/cooling.

I'm happy to hear that AP has produced another round of their exceptional 10" Maksutovs and very happy for the fortunate owners. As a former AP owner, I can only express admiration for the quality and sensibility of their products. The large Santel and Intes Maks I have owned did not give me as much satisfaction, although the experiences would not be characterized as bad ones.

Gary

Edited by Gary Osoba, 19 May 2019 - 02:26 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics