•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Physics 10" Mak-Cass

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#301 timkhan

timkhan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

I believe the RHA is 60 lbs without the dewsheild, but with the cover. My pier is a bit taller so I cannot cradle mine like Roland in the photo, but first you have to get it out of the box before you can get to cradling it.

Regarding the Mak, I believe the only thing I may have liked to have seen is a pair of handles as is on the RHA; having the ability to get a good grip and velco wires against. Understandable, having removable covers and structural spokes makes placement of handles difficult. So far, I grab the center tube close to the back plate to get the scope of the box, then I can maneuver to cradle it.

BTW, I found a sequence of photos in the apug file archive that shows Roland's way of putting the heavy RHA into the tube rings.  The RHA is nearly 50lb.  Note the orientation of the the telescope saddle plate.   Of course this shows a side x side configuration.  Astro Physics mount position 2 should be used.   This also demonstrates how Roland stays so fit. ;-)

Should be easy with the 30 lb MCT. 

#302 John Vogt

John Vogt

Vostok 1

Posted Yesterday, 03:26 PM

My Mak arrived this afternoon in fine shape despite previous poor experiences with UPS.

Anyhow, the unit is packed in three boxes:

1. rings, thread on obstruction, instructions, plastic caps.

2. Dewshield

3.  Tube Assembly

As was pointed out previously the tube assembly in its case is a beast. Thank you MDRP for recommending

the Lightware cargo case as I ordered the case, which coincidently arrived about 20 min after the Mak,  and it fits perfectly as you indicated.

I'm going to fabricate a grab bar to mount on the top of the rings as I do find the tube assembly a handful to mount into the saddle.

The scope, in typical AP fashion, is a work of art, as is even the dewshield.

My Eagle pier also arrived as part of this shipment but unfortunately the plates I ordered to connect my Panther mount are not going to work so I'll have come up with an alternative.

Anyhow, here a few pix., note that I did receive unit #7 as indicated on the shipping container. Sorry for the two upside down

pix., gotta love th iPhone.

When I get everything mounted up I'll post a few more.

John 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1760 (Large).JPG
  • IMG_1761 (Large).JPG
  • IMG_1762 (Large).jpg
  • IMG_1763 (Large).JPG

• Paul Hyndman, Jeff B, Chris Cook and 3 others like this

#303 John Vogt

John Vogt

Vostok 1

Posted Yesterday, 03:30 PM

A few more pix.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1765 (Large) (2).JPG
  • IMG_1766 (Large).JPG
  • IMG_1767 (Large).JPG
  • IMG_1769 (Large).JPG

• 3 i Guy, Jeff B, Chris Cook and 6 others like this

#304 Gleason

Gleason

Vostok 1

Posted Yesterday, 04:33 PM

Thanks for posting the pix John!   I may have to get one of those lightware cases as well. Did anyone notice the picture posted on the AP Facebook page?  LOL.  Credit: Astro Physics

X2TGDxy.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, Jeff B, Chris Cook and 3 others like this

#305 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted Yesterday, 05:44 PM

Looks hot. That cost more than my 2013 Corvette i bet.

#306 chemisted

chemisted

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Today, 08:41 AM

Looks hot. That cost more than my 2013 Corvette i bet.

I think a more interesting comparison is the current A-P MakCas costs a lot more than what I paid for my OGS RC-10, TV-140 and Sky 90 combined even taking inflation into account.

Edited by chemisted, Today, 08:43 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics