•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Physics 10" Mak-Cass

• Please log in to reply
484 replies to this topic

#476 nobake

nobake

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Iowa

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:56 PM

Is anyone using the 10" Mak-Cass on a Losmandy G11G? 

I'm going to need a mount for one and would like something nice and sturdy but don't want to spend the money for the premium level.

thanks,

matt

#477 nobake

nobake

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:18 AM

answering my own question - I found Jay Reynolds Freeman's observing report(s) on his 2000 vintage mak and he used a G11 and didn't make any note of the mount causing problems.

matt

#478 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

My two cents:

It can be done although you are pushing the mount to its absolute limits, for years I mounted my 10" TEC  Mak on G11, this was an early "Celestron G11", the TEC is roughly 35 pounds and in strictly visual mode the only extra weight added to the Mak was a Zeiss viewer. For this setup I used four 11 pound counterweights.
Several safety issues to consider for mounting a 10" Mak on G11, you will need a more rigid saddle with a minimum of two locking knobs, the original saddle is not strong enough, I used a 12" RobinCasady saddle, and even with Casady saddle it was a good safety measure to install a safety bolt under the sliding plate just in case if the Mak starts to slide down.
I know many have used C14's on G11 for visual but again you are at its limits.

Personally I would not even consider risking a $22K Mak on a G11, any vintage, regardless of its advertised load capacity.
Vahe

• Gleason likes this

#479 Swimmeruk

Swimmeruk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

I am planning to go with the G11 as well but I want to work thru the saddle dovetail set up and try to get it right.  I plan to stick with visual viewing and hope that the efforts to drop weight work out.  Thanks for the recommendation for the robin casady saddle.

Chad

#480 nobake

nobake

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for the information and advice, Vahe. 

matt

#481 Gleason

Gleason

Vostok 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:42 PM

The mechanical smoothness of the Mak focuser is effortless, so it means little pressure on the tube when focusing. With that said, tolerance for vibration is a highly individual thing.  I would probably consider the Losmandy G11GT-LT Equatorial GoTo Mount on the HD folding tripod if I had to go that route today.  Remember guys, these are high magnification instruments.  You don't want "Jello" observing, even when idling at 100X.  My Mak + AP 1100 requires at least 2 X #18 counterweights.  Even better when you add #10 weight for fine tuning balance.   Keep your counterweights close to the center axis as possible.  

cheers 

jg

#482 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:47 AM

Isn’t Casady out of the astronomy business?

#483 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:50 AM

Yes, but their saddles show up on Amart occasionally.

Vahe

#484 Swimmeruk

Swimmeruk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:47 PM

Just an update for those following this thread.  Emailed Daleen and it seems that the July notified 10" Maks are not on any schedule for completion.  Was supposed to be Sept.  Not that this is changing my mind but with no schedule is I guess a little more unsettling.  Hope  whatever has put them behind gets worked out.

-Chad

#485 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:52 PM

bndastro.com has taken over and selling Robins products now.  I believe the same guy that made them before is still doing them for these guys.  Saw them at OkieTex and are indeed the same as Robins.

• peleuba and Chris Cook like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics