•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Physics 10" Mak-Cass

• Please log in to reply
486 replies to this topic

#76 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

There is no rule in the CN TOS forbidding calling a vendor for advice. smile.gif

Shhhhhhhhh!  You'll give them ideas.

#77 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:58 PM

Has anyone heard ANYTHING recently regarding the current Astro-Physics 10" Mak-Cass production run?  Roland C. no longer responds to queries regarding the Mak-Cass posted on the AP Yahoo Group.

Thank you.

Heywood

#78 TG

TG

Vanguard

• Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:35 PM

Roland C. no longer responds to queries regarding the Mak-Cass posted on the AP Yahoo Group.

That can only mean something is definitely coming!

#79 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:28 PM

It would be quicker to learn to make one yourself
  • Heywood likes this

#80 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:01 PM

It would be quicker to learn to make one yourself

That's not true.  You just send them a letter with your address and credit card info you'll have that ten inch astro-physics Mak in ten to fifteen days after they receive the letter.

Greg N

• Peter Besenbruch likes this

#81 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:02 PM

snicker, snurk

#82 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:16 PM

Yesterday, on the "Astro-Physics User's Group," Roland Christen stated:  "The present run [of 10" Mak-Casses] is coming along very nicely and should be done in another month."

https://groups.yahoo.../messages/77044

So, perhaps notifications will begin fairly soon.

Thank you.

Heywood

Edited by Heywood, 21 August 2018 - 08:17 PM.

#83 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hokitika New Zealand

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:18 PM

choices if you win lotto a 7 inch f12 florite or a 10 inch mak cass.  Wonder which would cost more?? both around 20k I suspect and worth every penny.

The perfection and extra resolution of the Mak Cass would make it my personal choice.  I wouldn't be disappointed in either however I suspect. I need to start buying tickets.

#84 sink45ny

sink45ny

Vanguard

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:24 PM

Yesterday, on the "Astro-Physics User's Group," Roland Christen stated:  "The present run [of 10" Mak-Casses] is coming along very nicely and should be done in another month."

https://groups.yahoo.../messages/77044

So, perhaps notifications will begin fairly soon.

Thank you.

Heywood

As I recollect notifications begin long before the process is complete. I've had to pony up 50% after being "notified" and the remainder just before shipment.

#85 MarkBWilson

MarkBWilson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:18 AM

On November 19, 2018, Astro-Physics invited me to purchase a new 254mm F14.5 Mak-Cas.  The price is $22,000.  I said yes and placed my deposit.  My name has been on the list since 1999.

I live in Newport Beach, CA.  If any of you live near me, I would love to have you visit and take a look.  I expect to receive the scope in the next 120 days.  

• Paul G, Jon Isaacs, elwaine and 8 others like this

#86 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:35 AM

I'd head on over to see that baby! PM me when you get it up and running.

Paul

#87 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:18 PM

Ditto Mark. That is very kind of you!

#88 MarkBWilson

MarkBWilson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:11 PM

We will set a date, and you can bring your favorite eyepieces.  I have a permanent mount (Pier Tech) and an AP1100GTO.  Occasionally, we get decent seeing in Newport.

#89 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2018 - 07:36 PM

On November 19, 2018, Astro-Physics invited me to purchase a new 254mm F14.5 Mak-Cas.  The price is $22,000.  I said yes and placed my deposit.  My name has been on the list since 1999.

I live in Newport Beach, CA.  If any of you live near me, I would love to have you visit and take a look.  I expect to receive the scope in the next 120 days.  

So, are you saying that notifications for the new 10" Mak-Cass have finally started?  The Astro-Physics website says nothing about new notifications.

Thank you.

Heywood

Edited by Heywood, 22 November 2018 - 08:08 PM.

• sink45ny likes this

#90 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

• Loc: Shanghai, China

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:08 PM

Wow! Congratulations!

I'll be in Long Beach in Dec and early January. If your scope is delivered before I leave LA can I take a look? I can bring my 2 sets of ZAO I or a pair of docter UWA 12.5mm. Thanks.

#91 Gleason

Gleason

Mariner 2

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 23 November 2018 - 06:40 PM

I too have been on the list since 1999, maybe even late 1998 but no notification so far.  Sadly, I suspect the "collectors" who get on lists early will probably get the call. 

Aside from the AP build quality and Roland's hand figuring, your local seeing conditions will really factor into how well this instrument is going to work. At a 3M focal length, it will take some really long focal length eyepieces to get the power down to usable levels, otherwise high mag views may render stars to look like fuzzy snowballs in anything other than excellent seeing.  A focal reducer would be a good accessory to add some flexibility on those nights of poor seeing or maybe just a good old 40mm eyepiece.   As for deep sky, you might not want to set next to the guy who has a 15" f/5 Dob and Zambuto figured mirror.  There is no making up for lack of aperture in this game.  However, I have always said that you'd have to take my refractor out of my cold, dead, hands, before you'll see me buy a Dob. 

• 3 i Guy, Paul Morow and sink45ny like this

#92 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:22 PM

I too have been on the list since 1999, maybe even late 1998 but no notification so far.  Sadly, I suspect the "collectors" who get on lists early will probably get the call. 

Aside from the AP build quality and Roland's hand figuring, your local seeing conditions will really factor into how well this instrument is going to work. At a 3M focal length, it will take some really long focal length eyepieces to get the power down to usable levels, otherwise high mag views may render stars to look like fuzzy snowballs in anything other than excellent seeing.  A focal reducer would be a good accessory to add some flexibility on those nights of poor seeing or maybe just a good old 40mm eyepiece.   As for deep sky, you might not want to set next to the guy who has a 15" f/5 Dob and Zambuto figured mirror.  There is no making up for lack of aperture in this game.  However, I have always said that you'd have to take my refractor out of my cold, dead, hands, before you'll see me buy a Dob. 

I got on the list in 2001, and I have zero chance of being notified.  Can you believe it?  There are probably 500 people ahead of me, and I've been on the list for 17 years.  I can't express how I feel.

#93 sink45ny

sink45ny

Vanguard

Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:17 PM

I got on the list in 2001, and I have zero chance of being notified.  Can you believe it?  There are probably 500 people ahead of me, and I've been on the list for 17 years.  I can't express how I feel.

Don't give up hope Heywood.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#94 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:09 AM

At  least you will save a ton of money.

• Heywood likes this

#95 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:27 AM

I wish Roland made a 7 or 8-inch version. In that size the portability advantage of an 8” Mak (including the smaller mount needed) over a 6 or 7-inch apo really comes into play.

And an 8-inch high quality AP Mak would beat a 6” Apo on the moon and planets and any deep sky objects that fit in the field.

Bob

• Heywood, chuckscap, ShaulaB and 1 other like this

#96 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:31 AM

I took my medication and have calmed down.  grin.gif

I am fortunate to own a very fine 5" apo, so I cannot complain. 

Heywood

P.S.  Roland Christen has done his level best to allow everyone to own at least one of his telescopes.  That much is clear to me.  He kept the AP130GT production run opened for years, and kept the price reasonable, so that many people could own one of those fine telescopes.  And now he is making a couple hundred or so Stowaways, at a very affordable price, so, again, many people will be able to acquire one of those.  And recently he commented about possibly making a 6" doublet apo, so that may be his way of making a reasonably affordable 6" apo for the many of us who want a larger refractor.  Roland is a good man.

Edited by Heywood, 24 November 2018 - 10:39 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, Paul Hyndman, Phil Cowell and 3 others like this

#97 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:23 AM

I can only imagine being at the controls of one of these AP 10" Maks.  The views would be absolutely breathtaking like any of Rolands scopes.

#98 MarkBWilson

MarkBWilson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:25 PM

When I receive the scope, I will post another message.  Anyone who wants to come to my house is welcome.  I hope that my awful work schedule will allow me to take a weekend away with it someplace dark.  If I can work that out, we can talk about where to go and give the scope a chance to shine.  I enjoy using my scope with other people.  Sunsets are more beautiful with someone next to you saying "wow, that's amazing."  For me, the same is true of looking at stars, planets, etc.  And the people on this list serve have much more appreciation for these things than my family and neighbors who think its "neat" that I do this.

• Traveler, eros312, Howard Gao and 1 other like this

#99 sink45ny

sink45ny

Vanguard

Posted 24 November 2018 - 02:23 PM

When I receive the scope, I will post another message.  Anyone who wants to come to my house is welcome.  I hope that my awful work schedule will allow me to take a weekend away with it someplace dark.  If I can work that out, we can talk about where to go and give the scope a chance to shine.  I enjoy using my scope with other people.  Sunsets are more beautiful with someone next to you saying "wow, that's amazing."  For me, the same is true of looking at stars, planets, etc.  And the people on this list serve have much more appreciation for these things than my family and neighbors who think its "neat" that I do this.

That is very kind and generous of you Mark.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#100 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:17 PM

Very nice gesture.  sure wish I was in your neighborhood.  I have so many great reviews of this 10" Mak. some of the pictures I have seen taken by this Mak are breathtaking.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics