•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Physics 10" Mak-Cass

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#201 Stellar1

Stellar1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:32 AM

Being a big fan of Mak's myself i can only drool and dream of such a scope unless i hit the lottery in which case i'll deliver one to all those on this thread. Having said that, yes it does look like a darn masterpiece of telescope design and engineering. I am sure the views on a good night would be enough to soil your undies but, what is the deal with these wait times?? people on a list for a decade or more? if there is demand and people with deep enough pockets then what is the deal?? is one guy making these by hand in his basement?. I wish i had one, i would live in a tiny house and sell my home now for that (wife wouldn't dig that).

#202 Gleason

Gleason

Explorer 1

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

Being a big fan of Mak's myself i can only drool and dream of such a scope unless i hit the lottery in which case i'll deliver one to all those on this thread. Having said that, yes it does look like a darn masterpiece of telescope design and engineering. I am sure the views on a good night would be enough to soil your undies but, what is the deal with these wait times?? people on a list for a decade or more? if there is demand and people with deep enough pockets then what is the deal?? is one guy making these by hand in his basement?. I wish i had one, i would live in a tiny house and sell my home now for that (wife wouldn't dig that).

I would highly recommend doing a search on all AP Mak-Cass threads and do a little reading.  You'll find the exactness that Roland demands meant a very limited production of the first version with no more to be produced. The decade long notification list is old indeed, as there were no plans to make more. It seemed unlikely that Roland would make more, but they kept the old list anyway. Just like for Stowaway.    My best guess is that the availability of proper glass, and new manufacturing techniques have yielded another production run of 25 or so units.  Even if you won the lottery, unless you are on the list for all 25, you would have to hire someone to build a new lot to service everyone that wants one.    Also, these are not for everyone.  F/14.5?  Not ideal for deep exposure astrophotography, and for visual you will need an observing location with excellent seeing to benefit from the native high magnifications.   Deposits are in.  Folks are simply waiting now for the first call on the finished units.  So go on drooling, and kiss your wife. ;-)

• Stellar1 likes this

#203 rfic1

rfic1

Viking 1

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

Like I said before I hope AP at least states on their web site when the production run has all been filled.

Just so those of us that are on the list can move on.  Especially those who signed up in 2017.  Not even sure why they even started a list in April 2017 when it is unlikely they will even get past those on the list  prior to 2000. 

#204 Gleason

Gleason

Explorer 1

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:05 AM

Like I said before I hope AP at least states on their web site when the production run has all been filled.

Just so those of us that are on the list can move on.  Especially those who signed up in 2017.  Not even sure why they even started a list in April 2017 when it is unlikely they will even get past those on the list  prior to 2000. 

You could speculate that some folks from 1999 are no longer interested, or dead,  so the reason to add a few names to the list.  I certainly would not hold my breath waiting for any notification.  Certain to be a flipper or two on Astromart. There always is.  Probably a $20K premium. Capitalism in action.  ;-)

#205 Heywood

Heywood

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: At Stars' End

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

I don't think Astro-Physics started (or re-started) the Mak-Cass notification list in 2017 -- or am I wrong about that?  If I remember correctly, the Mak-Cass list has been open continuously since the 1990's.  But I don't know why Astro-Physics did not close that list many years ago.  It has been obvious for some time that anyone (like me) who signed up after 2000 doesn't have a snowball's chance of ever being notified.  I feel like a fool thinking that I ever had a chance when I don't.  I would prefer that Astro-Physics find a way to let those who have no chance understand that.

Edited by Heywood, 19 January 2019 - 03:44 PM.

#206 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

• Loc: Shanghai, China

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:42 PM

Consider all info in this thread as speculation unless Roland confirmed lol.gif . I also don’t know why the Mak list is still open. The only possible reason I can think of is someday the production can be more automatic so more scopes can be offered to meet the market requirement.

#207 Gleason

Gleason

Explorer 1

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

Consider all info in this thread as speculation unless Roland confirmed lol.gif . I also don’t know why the Mak list is still open. The only possible reason I can think of is someday the production can be more automatic so more scopes can be offered to meet the market requirement.

I have asked a contact at AP about this. What a concept eh?  Let's see if I get an answer.  

Cheers

-g

#208 Gleason

Gleason

Explorer 1

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:46 PM

Ok, got my answer from AP about the Mak list, but since it is not in the spirit of Cloudy Nights to contact the manufacturer, I will continue in the spirit of arduous speculation made so famous in this forum and not share that answer.   grin.gif

Cheers, 

-g

• Paul G likes this

#209 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

• Loc: Shanghai, China

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

Exactly. That’s why people hang in here instead of yahoo group. lol.gif

• Gleason likes this

#210 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted Yesterday, 09:29 AM

Ok, got my answer from AP about the Mak list, but since it is not in the spirit of Cloudy Nights to contact the manufacturer, I will continue in the spirit of arduous speculation made so famous in this forum and not share that answer.   grin.gif

Cheers, 

-g

smile.gif

• avid_dk likes this

#211 JohnH

JohnH

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted Yesterday, 01:06 PM

You're saying those are Roland's plans?

Nope, I have plans of my own. Some are from S&T and some from The Maksutov Circulars.

I think his Maksutovs are more specialized telescopes that don't really get the full benefit that a Maksutov can have.

A regular SC at ratios around f/15 to f/20 will still have excellent correction and be lighter and cheaper to make. Rumak Maksutovs at f/10 offer wider fields of view AND excellent correction of coma

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics