•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Announcement from QSI

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 SMigol

SMigol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

I saw this announcement on the QSI yahoo group:

It is with profound sadness and grief that QSI must announce the unexpected passing away of our founder, CEO, and chief architect, Neal Barry.  Neal was brilliant, innovated scientist and engineer with a love of Astronomy and astro-imaging.  His vision to build a better scientific camera resulted in the creation of Quantum Scientific Imaging over 12 years ago.  Neal’s drive, leadership and guidance of QSI was instrumental to the growth of QSI, development of the 500 and 600 series cameras, and the establishment of QSI as a market leader in Astro-imaging.

QSI’s board of directors has decided to put manufacturing operations on hold as we restructure QSI.  QSI will not be accepting further orders for new cameras at this time. We ask for your patience and understanding while the company works through this difficult transition.

In lieu of flowers, Neal’s family requests that a donation be made to a charity of your choice. Neal and his family were strong supporters of the Wounded Warrior Project. If you also wanted to support their mission helping physically and emotionally wounded veterans, that would be an extra-special tribute.

====================================================================================

Q: Will QSI be closing it’s doors?

A: We are in the process of restructuring the company and charting the future of the organization.  It will take us some time to go through this process. We ask for your patience and understanding while we work through this process.

Q: How will I get my camera repaired in the future?

A: QSI continues to offer repairs services for the time being.  We are looking at a number of options for long term repair support, including working with third parties to provide factory authorized service.

Q: What about my warranty?

A:  QSI will honor the existing warranties using our factory repair facilities or factory certified third parties.

Q: What is the best way to contact QSI?

A:  Please send email to info@.... For technical support, please contact support@...

Q: I have a camera that has been returned to QSI for repair.  What is the status of my camera?

A: QSI support will contact you when your camera is ready for shipment back to you.

Q: I have an open order.  Will it be fulfilled?

A: If you have a committed shipment date from QSI, your order will be fulfilled.

Q: What about technical support?

A:  We encourage you to first use online resources to find a resolution to your question.  The QSI website, the yahoo group QSI-CCD, and cloudynights.com are all good resources.  You can also send email to support@... for technical questions not related to sales.

#2 drmikevt

drmikevt

Viking 1

• Loc: Burlington, VT

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

How sad... on so many levels.  

RIP

#3 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

My deepest condolences to Mr Barry's family and QSI. The amateur astronomy community has lost another mentor.

I am surprised, however, by the negative tone of the communication regarding QSI's current status and future. I sure hope they are able to reorganize and continue to provide their outstanding product line and servicing.  

Derek

Edited by schmeah, 19 September 2017 - 08:13 AM.

• Stelios, AstroGabe and josh smith like this

#4 Calypte

Calypte

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

I'm wondering if there was a clear plan of succession.  They literally may not know who is should be in charge now.  The factory in Poplarville, MS, is on Neal Barry's farm, so ownership of the property is at the mercy of Neal's will, or the courts if he died intestate.  

I met Neal Barry at the last ASAE show.  I never met a nicer gentleman.  Before I bought a QSI camera (2012), I talked with Kevin Nelson, then-QSI rep (and, AFAIK, still a major stockholder), and he told me that amateur astronomers were only part of their customer base.  I think this is true for most of the CCD camera manufacturers.

Edited by Calypte, 19 September 2017 - 09:54 AM.

#5 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

Terrible News :(  Very sad to hear it. I really hope the company survives the transition as well.

#6 scopenitout

scopenitout

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:53 AM

My deepest condolences to Mr Barry's family and QSI. The amateur astronomy community has lost another mentor.

I am surprised, however, by the negative tone of the communication regarding QSI's current status and future. I sure hope they are able to reorganize and continue to provide their outstanding product line and servicing.

Derek

Agree with you 100%, Derek.

Actually, I was getting ready to buy a 690 WSG-8 very soon. Until I read this news.
I'm confused. As of this writing, the QSI website makes no mention of sales suspension or interruption of production.

#7 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

Neal was one of the best people I have met. Every time I had to talk to him for whatever matter, the conversation would not stop for hours. He loved astrophotography and what he did. The whole integrated guider /FW was his design. I lost a good friend. RIP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
  • Stelios, AstroGabe, rockstarbill and 1 other like this

#8 WesC

WesC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:59 PM

Oh no, this is so sad! I really wish the best for his family and friends, and I hope the company will survive. They are definitely one of the best and well respected in the community. :(

#9 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

Derek

Agree with you 100%, Derek.

Actually, I was getting ready to buy a 690 WSG-8 very soon. Until I read this news.
I'm confused. As of this writing, the QSI website makes no mention of sales suspension or interruption of production.

There is a used one from one of Tolga's customers on Astromart for a great price. No, its not me! LOL lol.gif

#10 Chanctonbury

Chanctonbury

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Southern England

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:40 AM

This is very sad news for a whole lot of reasons and my thoughts and best wishes go out to Neal's family and friends.

#11 gomezdb

gomezdb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Calgary, AB

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

Has anybody heard if QSI will resume the production/sale of their cameras anytime soon?

Thanks,
Diego

#12 Calypte

Calypte

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:40 PM

The factory is located on Neal Barry's farm in Mississippi.  Even if his family were amenable to resuming production at the existing factory, I could see it taking months, maybe a year, to sort out the issues of his estate and the future ownership of the company.  If you want a CCD camera immediately, maybe you can round up existing stock from one of the resellers.  Woodland Hills had one on their table at AIC, but that was a month ago.  Otherwise, you should probably look at another brand.

#13 pbunn

pbunn

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Spartanburg, SC

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

I heard from a reputable source that QSI is closed for good unless another company purchases the business. Hopefully that will happen.

#14 gomezdb

gomezdb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Calgary, AB

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:33 PM

Thank you guys for the response!.. I think I will look for another brand.

Clear skies,

Diego

#15 pbunn

pbunn

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Spartanburg, SC

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

It is a great camera. I hope it gets picked up by another manufacturer.

• DeanS and WesC like this

#16 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:03 PM

Warranties? Support? Repairs? I guess I had better hope that my expensive hunk of a camera holds out for a while. And I guess resale value is now zilch. Its unfortunate because I have always relied on selling current equipment in order to upgrade to newer equipment.

Derek

• nebulasaurus likes this

#17 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:20 PM

Warranties? Support? Repairs? I guess I had better hope that my expensive hunk of a camera holds out for a while. And I guess resale value is now zilch. Its unfortunate because I have always relied on selling current equipment in order to upgrade to newer equipment.

Derek

I can't imagine the resell value is "zilch". These cameras have a great reputation, particularly the Sony ones, high quality build, and some great features. No doubt resale value will take a hit, but they should certainly sell above zero.

Very sad about the company. I suspect there is a lot of value there as well, one way or another. They seemed to have a much larger business to other markets than astro, and I have to imagine that supporting that business has value, the technology and intellectual property has to have value. Maybe the cameras don't live on under the QSI name, but someone out there, maybe SBIG, has got to be interested in some of what QSI was and had.

I also think QSI has one of the most gaussian noise profiles of any cameras on the market. Even compared to FLI in some cases, it always seemed like QSI cameras had the flattest, cleanest darks of any CCD camera data I've ever worked with. I've even worked FLI 16803 (rather dirty, actually, column defects!) and FLI 16200 data. The FLI16200 is pretty nice, but it still did not seem to match QSI cameras for gaussian purity.

#18 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

I had expressed condolences to Mr Barry's family and understand the traumatic effects that losing its leader can have on a company. But QSI did not seem like a mom and pop shop, and I don't understand how the remaining leaders in the company can just walk away from its customer base. His family deserves to grieve and mourn for their loss, and my deepest sympathies go out to them. But a business is a business, as insensitive as this may seem. I don't have an option for another camera with my setup given its strict spacing requirements and back focus limitations (Edge and Optec focuser). I assembled it around the QSI body with its low profile, built in filter wheel and OAG. They have such a great product and unique design. It will be a great shame and loss to the amateur astronomy community if these cameras become obsolete. 

Derek

Edited by schmeah, 01 November 2017 - 09:16 PM.

• Calypte and scopenitout like this

#19 scopenitout

scopenitout

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:42 AM

My wife is an attorney and specializes in estates and family law. From what she has told me over the years, estates are almost always complicated and seldom wrap up quickly. So many issues, legally and emotionally as well.

So while there may be a resolution to this story that satisfies the current and future QSI customers, it may take much longer than expected.
  • Calypte likes this

#20 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

Regardless of what is going to happen, they are still excellent cameras, and I would not give mine up as long as they are working.  I did hear that support is continuing pretty much unchanged.

If anyone wants to sell me their 690 for pennies on the dollar please  message me wink.gif

Dean

Tolga should be able to answer some questions and calm the fears?

Edited by DeanS, 02 November 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#21 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

Dean,

I already offered Derek $10 and 2 micro brews in Morristown. Its my deal.. back off buddy ;)

• DeanS, schmeah and Ken Sturrock like this

#22 scopenitout

scopenitout

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:12 AM

Dean,

I already offered Derek $10 and 2 micro brews in Morristown. Its my deal.. back off buddy ;)

Ha!
I'm looking for a pre-loved QSI as well.
They are sooo obsolete now since the CMOS disruption hit town. ;)
  • DeanS, schmeah, hfjacinto and 2 others like this

#23 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

If Derek sells me his, I might be tempted to pass it on, but for more than $10 and 2 beers. I've been wanting to go here https://www.jockeyho...andkitchen.com/ for a while. I could be tempted with a nice dinner ;)

#24 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

The above was a joke, but being serious, a lot of the companies in the niche field of astronomy are very small (in many cases being 2-3 people) and its always a risk when buying gear. Just this year we lost Howie Glatter, if you have a Glatter laser keep it because there is a good chance it might not be made again. Same with with Thomas Beck, and Roger Tuthill and then you have Ron at Moonlite, Scott at Losmandy, Anthony at ADM, even Roland at AP. What will happen to these companies when the founders die. I know some may that they will be sold and someone will take over, but remember Unitron or Clark and Alvin.. All great companies that are no longer around.

#25 scopenitout

scopenitout

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

The above was a joke, but being serious, a lot of the companies in the niche field of astronomy are very small (in many cases being 2-3 people) and its always a risk when buying gear. Just this year we lost Howie Glatter, if you have a Glatter laser keep it because there is a good chance it might not be made again. Same with with Thomas Beck, and Roger Tuthill and then you have Ron at Moonlite, Scott at Losmandy, Anthony at ADM, even Roland at AP. What will happen to these companies when the founders die. I know some may that they will be sold and someone will take over, but remember Unitron or Clark and Alvin.. All great companies that are no longer around.

Well said.
And I'm not sure many of these companies and people are getting rich on it either.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics