•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

One month out now!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

Well, here we are, a month later from the great eclipse! Every day for about two months before the eclipse I would check out this forum to read new posts as to what folks where going where and doing what at eclipse day. Tons of suggestions on AP and also what to look for during the eclipse. Many gurus suggested that if this was your first eclipse, leave the camera home and take in the splendor of the moment.

This was my second eclipse and decided that I would only take a few pictures and mainly just observe it in my binoculars and naked eye. I'm glad I heeded that advise! When I went outside our hotel to start to set up, I was soaked in 20 minutes from the extreme heat in SC. That was it I said, no way I'm going to fiddle with a camera in that heat and decided to just observe it.

So, for the last month, I still check CN for post experiences and beautiful pictures and videos. Also having a real hoot reading about everyone's different accounts to their experience. The posts have really slowed down now, but still coming in and so thankful for the CN forum bow.gif

Bob

• kfiscus, SteveRosenow and Augustus like this

#2 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

Mine was about two years (off and on), it started with the talk from Mr. Eclipse at NEAF, I started planning right away, also let people I know about it but except me and to a small extent my family no one was interested in it, couple of times ridiculed for letting them know, heard things like its not smart to drive thousands of miles for 2 minutes or I'm getting 98% so not really interested to drive and get stuck in traffic when I can see almost totality from home. lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif . Well the same people after seeing posts on social media (before the eclipse) then started scrambling to get the glasses (which were hard to get/buy last minute), I had to mail out about 40 glasses a week before the eclipse. Anyway after seeing all the coverage on TV and social media almost all if not all said they will be planning to see it in 2024.  

Like you this was my second eclipse also, the first one was in 1999 when it passed over my town (what a luck). I too thank CN for this one, I don't think, I would have been able to take images without the amazing help provided over here. This has become my number one forum to visit as soon as I log on to the website smile.gif .

Edited by charotarguy, 21 September 2017 - 12:56 PM.

• paul hart, REC and Augustus like this

#3 vickiestar

vickiestar

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:52 PM

This was my first eclipse, and I really enjoyed it. My only other astronomical observation worth mentioning was the 2012 transit of Venus. The filters I used for the transit went unused for 5 years, until the eclipse.smile.gif

I could find no concise collection of anything related to the Venus transit on this forum. Was there no talk of it when it happened (June 2012)? Or did I not search correctly? I used "venus transit" as keywords for my search.confused1.gif

Total solar eclipses are way more interesting than a transit, but planetary transits are cool too (and I believe more infrequent).blush.gif

#4 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

Heard from my cousin's wife last week, had send them 2 glasses for them to view the partial eclipse, cousin works from home and his wife works in a pharmaceutical company, she took one of the glasses I'd given them to her work thinking that she would sneak out to take a quick look, as it happened no one came with any sort of glasses and almost the whole company came down and took a look through that one pair of glass (about 120 people or so) and good thing was everyone behaved and the solar glass survived. They stayed for a couple of hours and made a picnic out of it and enjoyed the eclipse. She said that she was so happy that I shared the glasses with them and thanked me from all the 120 or so people. Felt good to hear that so many people were able to see the partial eclipse.

• kfiscus likes this

#5 MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:56 AM

I watched it while working. The boss asked what our eclipse plan was so I set the sechedule up where him and I would be at our store in the totality zone. I brought some solar binoculars, he had the pick up and glasses to share. It was pretty good times.

I asked off for next time. The kids are going to be old enough to remember and I owe them a field trip.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics