•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEAF 2018 Announcements

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

NEAF 2018 Announcements; I have been asked to post on behalf of the NEAF 2018 management team.

Rockland Astronomy Club is pleased to announce NEAF 2018 coming April 21 & 22 featuring Nobel Laureate and James Webb Telescope lead scientist John Mather.   We are further pleased to announce NEAIC 2018 April 19 & 20.   NEAF / NEAIC 2018, bigger and better than ever!  We look forward to seeing you there.

• George N, RedLionNJ, Fongky and 5 others like this

#2 astro09

astro09

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Hello Bob,

I sent you an email in ref. to the NEAIC & NEAF 2018 some of the club members cannot make reservation at the hotel due to they were informed that the contract has not been signed yet.Any news on this at this time?

Clear Skies,

Carlos Flores

Secretary of Flint River Astronomy Club

#3 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Viking 1

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

Hotel notwithstanding, I'm there!

STARKID2U

#4 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:52 PM

The hotel has not given me pricing yet, i have just sent them an email.

#5 rowdy388

rowdy388

Vanguard

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

Just a day trip for me. I've gone every year since I retired and look forward to

going in 2018 too. 

#6 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

Looking forward to it. It will be here before we know it. 

#7 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Rockland's page has the 2018 NEAF info but not yet NEAIC? Coming soon, I hope?

#8 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Since, for the first time in goodness knows how many years, NEAIC and NEAF don't coincide with Masters weekend, any chance of Jimmy Walker this year? :)

#9 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:17 PM

RedLion, as for NEAIC you an always PM me for info, as for Jimmy are you talking for NEAF or NEAIC?

#10 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:40 PM

RedLion, as for NEAIC you an always PM me for info, as for Jimmy are you talking for NEAF or NEAIC?

More likely NEAIC, I guess - I'm sure there could be more than one talk....

#11 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

I'll make a phone call tomorrow

#12 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:08 PM

I called my contact for Jimmy, lets see if he is interested. 

• RedLionNJ likes this

#13 rms40

rms40

Mariner 2

• Loc: Georgetown, TX

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

I looked at the Crowne Plaza reservations and they had rooms starting at over $400/night for April 18-22. Way too high for me. Is there a code for discounted rates yet?

Thanks,

Randall

#14 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southern Connecticut

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hi there,

I am back to astronomy after 3 decades away

I've never been to anything  ...  not a show ....  not a conference  ..   not a swap meet

I don't know what to expect......so  in an odd way it is exciting to have something to look forward to in the spring

but I am planning on going to this to see what it is all about

Please keep the updates coming

I I should be able to shoot out there from southern Connecticut

We should all be ready for warmer weather by then

I note that today we have the blizzard   a foot of snow   50 knot winds

Hurry springtime

thanks

Barry

#15 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Viking 1

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:05 AM

Hi there,

I am back to astronomy after 3 decades away

I've never been to anything  ...  not a show ....  not a conference  ..   not a swap meet

I don't know what to expect......so  in an odd way it is exciting to have something to look forward to in the spring

but I am planning on going to this to see what it is all about

Please keep the updates coming

I I should be able to shoot out there from southern Connecticut

We should all be ready for warmer weather by then

I note that today we have the blizzard   a foot of snow   50 knot winds

Hurry springtime

thanks

Barry

Southern Conn?!? Man, you'd better show up! You're a hop, skip and jump away, my man. I have to drive 5 hours to get there and I'm there every year!  Go for it! See you there!

STARKID2U

• charotarguy likes this

#16 rms40

rms40

Mariner 2

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

Hi Barry. I got back into astronomy because of what cameras can do now. I was bored with visual. Not that there is anything wrong with that..

I went to Neaf last year. I'm going again this year. It is a great place to see many vendors and products in the same place. I was surprised at how small it was. Compared to computer and medical equipment conferences I have gone to and participated in, this was much smaller with fewer vendors. That being said, you will meet the principals of many of the companies. Steve Bisque was there last year of Software Bisque and I had just purchased a Bisque MYT mount. That was a nice surprise. After going to Neaf, I felt that the companies involved need our support. We are lucky to have manufacturers and retailers that support us since it is a small world of amateurs and equipment.

I had never seen anything bigger than a 12" dobson before I went. I couldn't believe the size of the mirror that I saw in a truss tube dobson. It must have been 20+ inches and that is something to behold. The Meade 14" and 16" fork mount scts were there on mounts. Not only are the tubes big but the mounts and tripods were massive. Heck, you could throw a tarp over one and have a tent to camp in as well....ha. And you will see Celestron products, focusers, variety of scope designs, refractors of many sizes and from various supplier/builders, mounts, finders, guiders, cameras and pretty much all that you will want or need.

One thing I didn't do last year was take enough advantage of the seminars. I discovered that there is also the NEAIC conference the two days before the Neaf show. I am going to that as well this year. There are presentations during the Neaf show too. Some fill up so you should plan on the ones you want to go to before the show and get there before they start.

I bought tickets online. You can also pay at the show. There was a line but probably no more than 20 deep if you wait to pay until the show. I will pay early this year as well. I don't like waiting in lines.

Randall

Edited by rms40, 05 January 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#17 George N

George N

Aurora

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

Hi Barry. I got back into astronomy because of what cameras can do now. I was bored with visual. Not that there is anything wrong with that..

I went to Neaf last year. I'm going again this year. It is a great place to see many vendors and products in the same place. I was surprised at how small it was. ...........

I had never seen anything bigger than a 12" dobson before I went. ........

One thing I didn't do last year was take enough advantage of the seminars. I discovered that there is also the NEAIC conference the two days before the Neaf show. I am going to that as well this year. There are presentations during the Neaf show as well. Some fill up so you should plan on the ones you want to go to before the show and get there before they start.

I bought tickets online. You can also pay at the show. .......

Randall

The fact is "am astro" is a pretty small hobby, and it totally amazes me how much excellent equipment is out there today. Some of these companies - CCD equipment makers in particular - only survive because their cameras and stuff sell to other areas of science - like bio-medical labs. Only 20% or so of their sales is to Am Astros.

As Randall mentions, there is a lot going on at NEAF beyond "buying stuff". The presentations are 'world class', and one could totally ignore the equipment displays entirely and just attend 2 days of fine presentations by both pros and some of the world's best amateur astronomers..... and it would be worth the cost. Of course the advantage to the equipment buyer is the chance to see the stuff, "play with it", discuss the stuff with the people who make and design it - or write the software - or the authors of the books you want to buy..... meet up with old friends or new friends or 'famous people' for more discussion.... and, oh ya, there are good price deals, you can check out the item *before* taking it home, no shipping, or waiting...... because you walk out with it.

.....and then there's the totally free solar star party..... featuring one of the best collections of solar observing and imaging equipment you will ever find in one place. Assuming that it's clear, you could spend much of an afternoon just out observing the sun.

One point on the imaging conference: the price of admission also includes tickets to NEAF..... so don't get both! The vendor display is excellent, with fewer people to distract the vendors..... and the imaging conference has the better raffle..... with a far better chance to win!

Big Dob? Back in Sept four friends and I sat in a straight line one morning at the Black Forest Star Party..... because we were taking advantage of the shade provided by a 36-inch.....  cool.gif

• RedLionNJ and charotarguy like this

#18 rms40

rms40

Mariner 2

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

Any hotel rates yet for Neaic/Neaf? I found a Crowne Plaza room for around $130/nt but it wouldn't let me book the 4 nights in a row. Is that about what the Neaf rates are?

Thanks,

Randall

#19 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Hi Everyone, sorry for the delay in getting registration for NEAIC 2018. There has been some staff changes at the hotel and it took some time for the new staff to get up to speed and get me their 2018 pricing. registration will be open first of next week and the PDF form will be posted here and Cloudy.

• RedLionNJ likes this

#20 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

rms40, NEAF/NEAIC Hotel rates should be open this Friday 1/19/18

#21 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

I talked to the hotel, the NEAIC/NEAF room rate is $126.00USD you must call the hotel directly at 845-357-4800 and make sure you tell them it's for NEAIC-NEAF

• George N and RedLionNJ like this

#22 rms40

rms40

Mariner 2

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the info. I waited too long last year and couldn't get in the Neaf hotel. The one I stayed at wasn't too far. It was older with kind of a small dark lobby. It was ok until Saturday night. Someone on my floor must have had a wild night. There was a lot of noise in the hall around 2-3 am. The next morning, there was barf in the hall and down by the elevators. Things happen. But when it was still there hours later I decided I wasn't staying there again! 

You get what you pay for I guess....the Neaf rates sound good for a nice hotel.

Randall

#23 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:56 PM

Bob - managed to get the hotel deal just fine - when might the NEAIC registration page be available for 2018?

#24 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

Bob - managed to get the hotel deal just fine - when might the NEAIC registration page be available for 2018?

It should be open now, but i don't manage it so i can't tell you for sure

#25 rms40

rms40

Mariner 2

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

I got the NEAIC-NEAF rate by calling the hotel. $126. It didn't work online by trying to use the code. The woman on the phone did have a bit of trouble finding it until I said "NEAIC-Neaf".instead of just "NEAF".

Online it showed no rooms available for those dates. I was going to try my Hilton Honors code but no luck. You do need to call to get a room it appears.

Look forward to seeing some CNers there. Is there a CN meeting place?

Randall

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics