•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Psi Persei and Phi Persei, spectroscopy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:26 PM

Psi and Phi Persei. Be shell stars with prominent emission lines in both the H-Balmer, H-alpha and H-beta, and a number of Fe II lines. Much the same as what I have been posting, so I will spare you a wordy post.

psi-persei_phi-persei_shell-stars_jferre

psi-persei_phi-persei_shell-stars_jferre

psi-per_calib-response_jferreira_18sep20

• jeremiah2229 likes this

#2 Olivier Thizy

Olivier Thizy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:45 PM

Hello,

I took recent spectra of phi Per and psi Per (they are in BeSS Be Star Spectra database). phi Per shows clear changes in the Halpha emission between august and september; psi Per emission is more intense as per this graph:

graph_phiper_20170922_026_full.png

I liked your iron FeII emission lines so I looked at rhem and found them with very shape:

graph_phiper_20170922_026_full2.png

Cordialement,

Olivier

#3 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:25 PM

Fe II  at 5169 in the Psi Per spectrum is an excellent example of a shell line with the central absorption dipping well below continuum level.  Very pronounce change in Phi Per H-alpha V/R.   Excellent stuff, Olivier.  That echelle spectrograph is most impressive.  Keep it coming!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics