•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Your greatest WOW moment while observing?

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#176 sehs1969

sehs1969

Sputnik

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

August 21, 2017.  Totality @ Payette Idaho  1min 46sec worth.

Second, seeing the Milky Was from above Timberline lodge August 2, 2013.  Approximately 7000ft.

And then everything else through a telescope.

Edited by sehs1969, 14 January 2018 - 07:45 PM.

#177 skfboiler1

skfboiler1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: NW Indiana

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

The year 2010 was my first year in this hobby.  The first outing with my telescope, after 2 months of clouds naturally, I pointed it to Saturn and could not believe what I just saw.  That was at low power, 31x.  If that wasn't enough, I increased the magnification to 150x and what overwhelmed with excitement.  I just had to wake up the rest of the family in the middle of the night to see Saturn.  Then later on in the year I had a similar experience with the planet Jupiter.

Two years later was the Venus transit across the sun.  That was another amazing event that I saw.  Prior to getting into this hobby I never new such events like that existed.  

Last year's Sun eclipse was another event that I will never forget.

• rehling likes this

#178 Spammy

Spammy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mukwonago, WI

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

For me #1 was most definitely seeing totality this past August in St Claire, MO, That was almost a religious experience, followed closely by seeing the night sky the first night of the Nebraska Star Party under truly dark skies. It was incredible, I don't remember ever seeing so many stars. It was incredible.

#179 Klitwo

Klitwo

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

For me #1 was most definitely seeing totality this past August in St Claire, MO, That was almost a religious experience, followed closely by seeing the night sky the first night of the Nebraska Star Party under truly dark skies. It was incredible, I don't remember ever seeing so many stars. It was incredible.

It was great that you could see all of Totality from St. Claire. Some of my Kansas astronomy friends who traveled to the upper part of Northeast Kansas to view the solar eclipse got more-or-less clouded out. For them it wasn't quite the same almost a religious experience you had.

https://boxwinebudge...8x427.jpg?w=500

Klitwo

#180 joelcindyclark

joelcindyclark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: The foothills of Mt. Rainier, Washington, USA

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:33 PM

These are great!  For me:

#5 - Seeing Saturn for the first time in my telescope

#4 - Watching the Europa moon Transit of Jupiter for 2 hours straight

#3 - Watching the overcast sky go dark in 1979 during the mid-morning when I was six...we were watching the solar eclipse on TV at home (they cancelled school) and our location was 97% covered.  I looked outside and saw it was like dusk - that's what got me turned on to astronomy.  This experience came full circle when I was able to take my children to the 2017 eclipse outside the Grand Tetons in Wyoming this year.

#2 - Hale-Bopp and Hyakutake - so beautiful.  I was too poor to own a scope back then so I just enjoyed them with my own two eyes.

#1 - My sister and I were driving from Salt Lake City, Utah to Western Washington in the early 90's.  It was past midnight and we were somewhere on a 2 lane state highway in sparsely-populated Eastern Washington.  Desert type climate.  Hadn't seen a car or lights anywhere for a very long time.  We pulled the car over, shut off all the lights, and looked up.  I had never seen anything so breathtakingly beautiful.  The blanket of stars was so think; I could barely make out constellations.

• Carol L, DHEB, SeaBee1 and 1 other like this

#181 seawolfe

seawolfe

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:28 AM

I think that the best "WOW" moment I've had was at last May's Pixieland Star Party in Goldendale, Washington.  We had an Aurora that lasted a long time.  Most of us took loads of pix...me included.  I sent one off to the British astronomy magazine, "The Sky at Night" who published it in their August edition.

Here's one of them:

Attached Thumbnails

• Lots of colors in Aurora, Saturday May 27, 2017.JPG

• KidOrion, DHEB, gitane71 and 4 others like this

#182 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

What's the one moment while observing that you'll always cherish? Give me the whole story, I'd love to hear it!

Mine would have to be seeing Saturn for the first time or seeing the veil nebula.

Saturn: when I first got my little 4" refractor this summer (currently my first and only telescope), I never thought Saturn would be anything special through it. Sure it was big and bright in the southern sky, but no one ever mentioned anything about it. But after an hour or so of observing I finally decided to give it a go.
I pointed the lens towards the bright blue dot and looked through my 12mm eyepiece. A big blob. Telescope was out of focus.
As I turned that knob slowly, the image grew sharper and sharper until I was greeted by the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. There was Saturn, a perfect little circle surrounded by very distinct rings. I went crazy over how amazing it was.

Veil: long story short I had no intentions of being able to see the veil nebula, even with my newly purchased UHC filter. I thought it would be too faint and I'd need an Oiii to ever be able to get a glimpse of it. But as always it was at least worth a try. Sure enough there it was right below Gienah. Very faint, anyone could have easily passed it by if they weren't looking for it, but there it was. An amazing moment indeed.

I'm sure there have probably been similar posts about this before but I wanted my own to read what people say. Full story, I want to hear them!

Too many to list.

But two come to mind:

--the November 2001 Leonid meteor storm

--the 1996 apparition of Comet Hyakutake directly overhead and with a tail we could trace out to 100° long.  We timed the rotation of a jet in the nucleus to about 6-1/2 hours.  This one beat Hale-Bopp, for me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics