•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone here ever found a Meteorite with a Metal Detector?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sharkboy

Sharkboy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:46 PM

Howdy fellow Space-cases,  laugh.gif

I was curious if anyone has ever found a Meteorite (Nickel-Iron or Gold) with a Metal Detector before OR if you have a Meteorite and a Metal Detector, will you do a test with them to see if your Metal Detector will pick-up on them? 

The reason I'm asking is due to bumping into a dilemma earlier today (Sunday) with a Bounty Hunter brand Metal Detector that did NOT pick-up on either a Nickel-Iron nor Gold Meteorite and it also would NOT pick-up on a Gold Fulgurite (created by Lightning) that I also lucked upon recently, and I was shocked that none would register with the Metal Detector. So I'm wondering if it was the Metal Detector or the Meteorites/Fulgurite that are to blame? Plus, if you run the test on your Metal Detector, tell us the results, as well as what brand of Metal Detector you used and what type(s) and size Meteorite(s) you used.

TIA!  laugh.gif

Namaste,

Ribbit  smile.gif

Edited by Sharkboy, 24 September 2017 - 11:51 PM.

#2 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Ranger 4

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:43 AM

Hmmm thats interesting. I have never found a meteorite but I do have a metal detector from Sears that is probably 35+ years old? A friend brought in a few meteorites that he owned and my cheap sears detector which I still own signaled when it passed over them.

#3 Sharkboy

Sharkboy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:54 AM

Hmmm thats interesting. I have never found a meteorite but I do have a metal detector from Sears that is probably 35+ years old? A friend brought in a few meteorites that he owned and my cheap sears detector which I still own signaled when it passed over them.

What kind of Meteorites were they? Nickel-Iron or Gold or Stoney? Stoney ones should work but the other two shouldn't.

Ribbit  smile.gif

Edited by Sharkboy, 25 September 2017 - 12:55 AM.

#4 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Ranger 4

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:59 AM

To be honest I couldnt tell you what type they were. He had over a dozen meteorites and I would say maybe 5 or 6 set off the detector. 

#5 Sharkboy

Sharkboy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:46 PM

To be honest I couldnt tell you what type they were. He had over a dozen meteorites and I would say maybe 5 or 6 set off the detector. 

So SOME of them didn't set it off? 

Please redo the test and show us a pic of the ones that did set it off and a pic of the ones that didn't set it off, but the fact that some didn't set it off is what I was looking for to happen, since it happened to us on Sunday with Nickel-Iron & Gold Meteorites, as well as a Gold Fulgurite, and we are looking for a Metal Detector that will register those types of objects, especially the Gold ones.  ;)

Namaste,

Ribbit  :)

#6 Sharkboy

Sharkboy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:07 AM

Since there isn't a forum for me to post pics of my Gold Fulgurite, I'll post pics here:

Size Reference (showing backside):

https://imgsafe.org/image/9ed7115ceb

Front:

https://imgsafe.org/image/9ed6ec2562

Back:

https://imgsafe.org/image/9ed7394a5e

End (showing frontside):

https://imgsafe.org/image/9ed714bb23

As soon as I can find a Metal Detector capable of registering Gold Fulgurites, I'll have more examples to show.  laugh.gif

Namaste,

Ribbit  smile.gif

Edited by Sharkboy, 26 September 2017 - 01:09 AM.

#7 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:12 PM

Back in the 80s the Escambia Amateur Astronomers Association (club in Pensacola Florida) had two gentlemen come and give the story of their discovery. They were using a metal detector on the beach a bit east of here. They found what they though was a well worn canon ball buried on the beach (our beaches are almost pure white sand) even rocks are rare around here. Unfortunately for science they scrubbed the heck out of it to get the crust off. But the Grayton Beach Meteorite was once nice find....found with a metal detector IIRC.

#8 Desert hiker

Desert hiker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:45 PM

I found this small fragment a few weeks ago with my detector. Ordinary Chondrite at the end of my GPSR.

IMG_4320.jpg

#9 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:09 AM

Owing to our history and land partitioning they say one way to possibly locate a meteorite is to take a metal detector and go sweeping the old dry stone walls.

Seems the farmers would come across a nice heavy metallic stone and add it into a dry stone wall when initially constructed, and there they have remained, for a few hundred years and will remain. A good heavy rock was well prized for a dry stone wall. Just to make it harder they were placed in the center and hidden from sight usually.

#10 Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron

Ranger 4

• Loc: California

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:39 PM

It can be done, but it works best with iron meteorites.  I once took several of my meteorites into a store that was selling a nice metal detector.  It had no problems detecting any of the iron meteorites.  The stony meteorites was a different story - it was hit-n-miss.   The metal detector could be fine-tuned to detect some of the stony meteorites, but it couldn't detect all of them that I tried. 

#11 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:01 AM

Here we go again with the nonsense. That is not gold and it's not a fulgurite. That is a slag.

• BSJ likes this

#12 Meteorseeker

Meteorseeker

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: N. Las Vegas, NV

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:40 PM

All,

I have been hunting meteorites since 2005 with a metal detector, both VLF and a pulse-induction. I would have to say that 90% of my finds and collection are with the PI. Most ordinary chondrites are a mixture of nickle/iron and detectable with a metal detector. It is when you get into other classes of meteorites, carbonaceous chondrites, for example or even LL's that detectors will not be as good as other ordinary types of meteorites. One of the largest finds I have made was a Gold Butte/Gold Basin meteorite, weighing in at almost 13lbs. and detected a small fragment before find the main mass. Here is my website with some information hunting for meteorites.

As always, keep looking down.

Jason

http://jdsnyder.wixs...m/meteorseeker 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics