•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Did anyone else see the BIG Space Rock that skimmed the Earth's atmosphere last night?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sharkboy

Sharkboy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:37 AM

Howdy fellow Space-cases,  laugh.gif

I'm in Southern California and last night I saw a Meteor in the sky that had a trailing arch to it and looked like a Comet but it was a Space Rock skimming the Earth's atmosphere and it was ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS to get to witness, besides LUCKY, and I attempted to take a video of it but by the time I had the camera ready, the spectacle was gone.

Did anyone else see it?

Namaste,

Ribbit  smile.gif

Ps: What's the 'event' called when a Space Rock skims the atmosphere but it doesn't crash to the planet?  crazy.gif

Edited by Sharkboy, 25 September 2017 - 12:40 AM.

#2 Redbetter

Redbetter

Skylab

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:50 AM

I'm guessing it was probably the rocket launch from Vandenberg that occurred last night.  It was some sort of top secret heavy lift payload on an Atlas V.  Link.  When it was rising to the south of me out of the tree line it looked like something big was slowly re-entering.  Then it faded some before the second stage kicked off with two impressive plumes stretching from it before disappearing into the tree line again.

#3 happylimpet

happylimpet

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:00 AM

I saw one like that last summer, oddly while at a music festival so a few people around me saw it too. It just cruised all the way across the sky over about 5 seconds or so then faded out. One of my top ten meteors of all time for sure!

#4 Sharkboy

Sharkboy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:51 PM

I'm guessing it was probably the rocket launch from Vandenberg that occurred last night.  It was some sort of top secret heavy lift payload on an Atlas V.  Link.  When it was rising to the south of me out of the tree line it looked like something big was slowly re-entering.  Then it faded some before the second stage kicked off with two impressive plumes stretching from it before disappearing into the tree line again.

Since there's no way that no one else didn't see it, then that has to be what it was, since no one else is yapping about it, but it was a still beautiful sight to get to watch, nonetheless.  cool.gif

Thanks!  :D

Namaste,

Ribbit  :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics