Jump to content

  •  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some progress with my eclipse images

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Robin

Robin

    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: 14 Sep 2008

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:00 PM

Hi folks,

 

A few weeks ago I uploaded one of my stacked eclipse images in a previous thread. But in the mean time I did some more image processing.

 

Exposure settings: 20 images with 1/3200 - 4 sec exposure time, ISO 200, white balance: sunny, TS ED 60/330 APO with flattener, Canon EOS 70D.

Applied 8-16 dark frames for each exposure longer than 1/30 second (more dark frames for longer exposures) and 285 flat frames (taken with a white shirt in front of the telescope aperture).

Tracked with a Skywatcher StarAdventurer mount on a carbon tripod, stabilized by a half-full gallon bottle of mineral water attached to the tripod.

 

Here are three different versions:

Single frames stacked manually with Photoshop. For exposures shorter than 1/125 sec, I used prominences at the right hand side as a reference. For exposures longer than 1/125 sec, I used Regulus as a reference. For 1/125 sec I used both.

 

Larson-Sekanina Filter:

With Fitswork, I applied the Larson-Sekanina filter (5 different versions with radius 0.5 pixels and rotation 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 degrees, respectively). I multiplied each of these filtered results with the original stacks. Then I removed artifacts (2 dark spots next to each brighter star) with the clone stamp tool in PS and stacked the 5 images together.

Very similar to this method: http://www.gva-hambu...fitswork_uk.htm

 

 

 

Total solar eclipse - Larson-Sekanina and Pellett combined:

At first, I applied the Pellett method (with a radial blur filter, amount: 10, method: spin, quality: best) as described by Jerry Lodriguss on his website ("more visually realistic method", thank you, Jerry, for providing this information on your website. And then I additionally applied the Larson-Sekanina-Filter as descibed above.

 

Total solar eclipse - Larson-Sekanina and Pellett combined 2 highlights reduced.jpg

I took the previous image and reduced the highlights somewhat to better show details close to the sun. This image is not quite visually realistic, but it shows a lot of coronal structures with a lot of detail.

 

Probably this is not the end yet...  I'm still looking for ways to make the images better. I'd love to read about your suggestions... :-)

At next, I'll have to process the images of the second half of the eclipse. I still don't know how to merge all of the frames together. If I include all my totality images, I will get several moon images, because I use the corona and stars as references. If I use the moon as a reference, the corona would be smeared out.

 

 

Clear skies

 

Robin


Edited by Robin, 28 September 2017 - 02:04 PM.

  • zjc26138 likes this

#2 Robin

Robin

    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: 14 Sep 2008

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

Total solar eclipse - Larson-Sekanina-Filter.jpg

 

 

Attached Files



#3 Robin

Robin

    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: 14 Sep 2008

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

Total solar eclipse - Larson-Sekanina and Pellett combined

 

Attached Files


  • dghundt likes this

#4 Robin

Robin

    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: 14 Sep 2008

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

Total solar eclipse - Larson-Sekanina and Pellett combined 2 highlights reduced

 

 



#5 dghundt

dghundt

    Vostok 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 194
  • Joined: 01 Mar 2017

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:17 PM

All very nice.
#2 is my pick.
I also found the 'realistic' Pellette method described by Jerry worked the best. It provides nice detail but still has a natural look.
To fix moon edge artifacts I simply took the moon from my brightest exposure, enlarged it slightly and put it over my composite.

Edited by dghundt, 28 September 2017 - 02:27 PM.


#6 Robin

Robin

    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: 14 Sep 2008

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

That's a nice idea to insert a slightly enlarged moon.

Since I didn't like my overexposed moon image, I actually generated a composite of two differently exposed moon images, enlarged it and inserted it.

This way, I was able to use images taken during the whole span of totality.

 

Clear skies,

Robin

 

Attached Files


  • REC, dan_hm, charotarguy and 1 other like this

#7 dan_hm

dan_hm

    Messenger

  • *****
  • Posts: 426
  • Joined: 31 Dec 2012
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

Latest one is really impressive!  The only thing I would change is the color of the prominences to red instead of green.



#8 Robin

Robin

    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: 14 Sep 2008

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

Well, on my screen and to my eyes they rather look white. Somehow, I wasn't able to retain the red color from shorter exposures, because I included longer exposures with  saturated prominences.

 

Clear skies

 

Robin




CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.


Recent Topics






Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics