•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Towa telescope #305

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 Frugal Astronomer

Frugal Astronomer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Philadelphia area

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:28 PM

shredder1656, how did this telescope turn out?  I have what I assume to be the same.  Towa 305, 60 x 900, made in Japan and in a large wooden box.  I have taken it out numerous times, put it together, and been very disappointed by it. 

Besides the right ascension dial slipping so that I can't really use the ascension/declination part of the equatorial mount properly, the field of view is so small that I find it very hard to find anything (and that's with the 22mm eyepiece).  It doesn't help that the objective lens is missing from the finder scope, making it useless.  I also feel like the whole telescope and mount is badly balanced, and as soon as I loosen something to make a positioning adjustment, the whole thing starts slewing around wildly.  It shows the moon alright, but that's about all I can say for it.  Am I missing something with this scope?

#27 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted Today, 04:58 AM

Hi, and welcome to CN. 

This scope became a project for my youngest daughter and me.  Much was changed, including the objective.  It really isn't the same scope any longer, but wasn't horrible in the beginning. 

Sadly, as quickly as we began, my daughter sort of lost interest.  She is 13, so not surprising.  We used it on an alt-az mount, so I do not have much experience with the original.  Even though she has lost a little interest, I might pull it out this weekend, and try to stoke what fire is/was there.  We will see.

If your scope's optical performance is acceptable, I think I DO have the original mount and in decent shape.  Let me know.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics