•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

What is the best counterbalance system for 8" LX?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:59 AM

Who makes the best counterbalance system for an LX10? With the 8x50 right angle finder I added plus a 2 inch diagonal and 2 inch EP my scope is back heavy and a little off in RA because of the heavier finder. I would say may balance problem is 80 percent back heavy and 20 percent RA on the finder scopes side

#2 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:12 AM

I think Losmandy offers one for around $75.00, or so. You'll probably need something like that for all that you've added. I added a 9X50 finderscope to my N8, and have to use an Orion Flexishield to offset the weight, and it might not be enough. Check out Losmandy's site. Pete

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:28 AM

Ya I like the one from Losmandy, but would this type of counterbalnce system fix the RA being slightly off because of the heavier finder?

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:56 AM

I went ahead and ordered the Losmandy System, the scope being off a little in RA really isn't an issue since the RA in the scope is kinda like a "clutch" and just tightening the RA lock a little lets you still move the scope but it's stiff enough to take care of the balance problem. The DEC lock does the same thing but I think the scope is way to back heavy to rely on that

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics