•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New to Me Sears #4 6344

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#26 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:39 PM

Yep! That's it!waytogo.gif

#27 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

Here's a top-to-bottom photo of some of my 76mm scopes that show the differences in tube length.  No, the tubes aren't bent, just some distortion from the cheap camera.

Top-to-Bottom:

Mayflower 816 76x1200mm - single draw tube

Sears 6339a 76x12000mm - double draw tube

Sears 6339a 76x12000mm - double draw tube

Optica b/c 76x1200 - double draw tube

Swift 831 76x1000 - single draw tube

Lafayette F-384 76x910 - single draw tube

The single-tube focusers are superior until you want to use a bino viewer, then you have almost no inward focuser travel left and some eyepiece pairs won't reach focus.   The Mayflower didn't come with a case, and it's too long to fit in any other 1200mm box.

Attached Thumbnails

• 76mm scopes.jpg

Edited by CharlieB, 05 October 2017 - 02:41 PM.

• photiost, TOM KIEHL, LarsJ and 6 others like this

#28 grif 678

grif 678

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NC

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

Exactly the same scope as my first real telescope, I bought it back in 1972 from Sears. It brings back great memories. It has outstanding optics until you get to the 6mm and 4mm, which are useless in many scopes.

I will tell you the only problem I had with the scope ( actually the mount ), and I understand that other owners of this fine scope had the same problem. The mount is connected to the base very poorly, and will eventually ( if not all ready ) become floppy and loose. The base had a small hole in it, and the mount seemed to have something like a brad on the bottom, it was stuck through the base hole, and then the brad was pressed. That is all that holds all that weight. If I still had mine, I would take the mount and base to a machine shop, and let them somehow beef up that connection. Then that scope would be a great scope to work with. The long focal length made that a great planetary scope. As a matter of fact, I had considered over the last couple years to find on of these 76mm OTA's, and put it on a better mount. Now the controls and legs and all on the scope worked fine, it was just that small poor connection that caused the wobble in the mount. Hope you enjoy that great optical scope.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and jcruse64 like this

#29 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

Thank you, Terra!

• Terra Nova likes this

#30 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

Charlie B,

Thanks for the comparisons.

I need to find a tube off of a Mayflower 816. 

I wonder, where does the Tasco 10TE fit?

#31 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

The 10TE is exactly like the Sears 6339a & Optica b/c.

• Garyth64 likes this

#32 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

Starting to add on, lol. Got the Vixen 1.25" adapter ordered. Got 76mm Orion rings and dovetail ordered. Ordered a Takahashi TAKSD1 prism diagonal. Bought a 1.25 Vixen LV Zoom 8-24 that just showed up on Classifieds. Supposed to rain here this weekend, so might give me some time to work inside on cleaning up the mount.

• Terra Nova likes this

#33 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:52 PM

My profound thanks to Peter B, Pete Brayton. I just received the red Sears EP from him today. He PM'd me when I first posted about receiving this scope, and told me he would be sending the EP to me, free of charge. There are such really nice people on here! Thanks again, Pete!!!

• DreamWeaver, Terra Nova and BillShakes like this

#34 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

No work on the mount yet. Got the Vixen 1.25 adapter in, and it fits right on. The Tak prism diagonal is also here, as is the Vixen LV Zoom 8-24 EP. I picked up another GEM, in case I can't bring this one back to life, and am awaiting delivery, so I can try it out.

Anyone know the size (length) of the original visual back that came with this scope? I'd like to pick up one from somewhere, even if not original, so I could use the original EP's, once I collect them all.

#35 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

No work on the mount yet. Got the Vixen 1.25 adapter in, and it fits right on. The Tak prism diagonal is also here, as is the Vixen LV Zoom 8-24 EP. I picked up another GEM, in case I can't bring this one back to life, and am awaiting delivery, so I can try it out.

Anyone know the size (length) of the original visual back that came with this scope? I'd like to pick up one from somewhere, even if not original, so I could use the original EP's, once I collect them all.

Excluding the threaded portion that screws into the focus tube, mine is 1-3/8" long.

• jcruse64 likes this

#36 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

Thank you!

• Marc-Andre likes this

#37 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

Working on cleaning the scope OTA and focuser this morning. Focuser is pretty clean, and I don't see any wear on the grooves/rail of the mechanics. A little grease, and it should be smooth focusing.

Going with the 1.25 adapter, to run a 1.25 diagonal and EP's is it worth considering removing the focuser tube baffles and flocking it? I'm still planning to find a stock .965 visual back and the full series of colored EP's that this scope should have had, and would not mind being able to go back and forth between sizes.

What is a good material to use to make new crosshairs for the finder scope, by the way?

#38 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

Got the OTA and finder scope and rings all cleaned up. Light wax job on OTA and finder OTA. The focuser was not messy at all, but scrubbed good with WD-40, dried good, then lightly applied some Li grease and reassembled. Seems to rack in and out good, though I noticed no issues initially. Awaiting arrival of a used mount to put it on and try out the views. I REALLY dig 2-tone blue.

• Terra Nova likes this

#39 PBEvans

PBEvans

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

My profound thanks to Peter B, Pete Brayton. I just received the red Sears EP from him today. He PM'd me when I first posted about receiving this scope, and told me he would be sending the EP to me, free of charge. There are such really nice people on here! Thanks again, Pete!!!

It's gotta be said, jcruse64 paid this forward for me, sending me a part I needed free including his postage! My profound thanks to you, Joe, and I will pay it forward!!!

• Terra Nova likes this

#40 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

It's ALL about being a great community. Glad to be a part of this one! Hope you get lots of enjoyment from it,

BTW, the mount arrived. It's just an inexpensive, Meade GEM. Going to have to learn how to line up and use it, lol. It will do okay till I can fix the OEM to satisfaction though. I made it work in attaching the OTA with the rings I bought, so it is now on station, and I got the finder scope aligned correctly.

So, what does everyone suggest for using as crosshairs for the finder????

#41 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

Ahh, finally a search here pointed to this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...ir#entry6109527

Next week's mission...

#42 PiSigma

PiSigma

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indianapolis

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

So, what does everyone suggest for using as crosshairs for the finder????

I had an old, cheap set of earbuds that I cut up to use strands of the wiring from to replace eyepiece crosshairs. The elements of the multi-stranded wiring in these are the finest strands I've seen and work great. I would cut it long enough to drape over the end of the eyepiece with extra that I would tape to the table on each end. Put a drop of super glue where it touches the eyepiece and then trim off with a razor blade when dry.

I just realized that, as many times as I've done this, I've never taken a picture of the process.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#43 PiSigma

PiSigma

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indianapolis

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:02 PM

Ahh, finally a search here pointed to this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...ir#entry6109527

Next week's mission...

There you go. Dan has a picture of the process.

• jcruse64 likes this

#44 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

Too cloudy to do much looking, but I did catch the crescent moon for about 20 minutes this evening. Hoping this Meade mount can be tightened up some; things are shaky every time I focus, lol. But the views were very nice.

#45 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:35 PM

Finder scope has crosshairs again. I used copper wires out of an old ethernet port adapter, and some superglue. Dew shield cleaned up and waxed also.I'm not going to try anything with the objective until I've had some viewing time with it first. Keeping an eye out for some EP's also, maybe a 40m and 28-32mm.

#46 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

Have not been able to find a replacement Sears mount, or a clamshell replacement, but a member here responded to my want ad, and I just received a Towa EQ-3 mount for this scope. Came with a wood Vixen tripod, Vixen tray, and a 2 speed RA motor. So now I can go manual OR automatic. The only downside is that the 76mm OTA is a bit slim for this clam, and it can't be secured in the clamshell as-is. I used some terry cloth around the OTA, to mount it all up to see how everything will look. Of course, this allows a little give, so there will be movement when touching the OTA. I'm going to find some leather or a sheet of hard rubber and  cut to fit around the OTA, and work with that.

#47 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:58 PM

Have not been able to find a replacement Sears mount, or a clamshell replacement, but a member here responded to my want ad, and I just received a Towa EQ-3 mount for this scope. Came with a wood Vixen tripod, Vixen tray, and a 2 speed RA motor. So now I can go manual OR automatic. The only downside is that the 76mm OTA is a bit slim for this clam, and it can't be secured in the clamshell as-is. I used some terry cloth around the OTA, to mount it all up to see how everything will look. Of course, this allows a little give, so there will be movement when touching the OTA. I'm going to find some leather or a sheet of hard rubber and  cut to fit around the OTA, and work with that.

Easy way to secure a smaller tube in a larger clam shell or tube ring is to pick up a few various sizes that have different thicknesses of Flexible Couplings from the hardware store such as these from Ace.

See Ace 4in x 4in Flexible Coupling for one of many sizes.

• jcruse64 likes this

#48 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:02 PM

Thank you, Stephen!

#49 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

You can also use an insulation strip.  It comes in different sizes, colors, and it's self adhesive.

I have also used some 3M double sided tape, with some green felt. It also comes in different sizes and thicknesses.   I am using some now to put 60mm refractors in my Unitron clamshell.

• jcruse64 likes this

#50 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:37 PM

Hauled it carefully out of the shop for a little spin. Right now, I only have a Vixen LV 24-8 zoom for a 1.25 EP. Managed to set up and scan Pleiades for a while, before putting it away. Really nice, crisp view. 24mm is not quite wide enough, so I'll be looking for a good 30-ishmm, and maybe even a 40mm, for this scope in 1.25 size, because I really enjoy viewing Pleiades.

First EQ mount for me, too; going to take getting used to.

• wrvond likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics