•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IntesMicro503 OTA or Starmax w/Eq?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2004 - 02:35 PM

Could anyone that has used both give me a comparison of these two OTA's? I've been going crazy as to what I should get for a second scope and have finally settled on one of these two OTA's. I already have the Unistar Light mount for the Intes OTA if I settle on that one. My problem is, I feel like i'm getting more value with the Orion Skyview package(mount+scope)....Can someone convince me that the Intes OTA is my smarter choice? I"m tempted....

Oh, Mike at ITE is throwing in the screw-in dew shield for free.

#2 Simon Chung

Simon Chung

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2004 - 04:52 PM

Here's my two cents. I used to own an Intes Micro 703 OTA. Now I own an Orion Apex 90. I think you may be surprised at the optical quality of the Apex/Starmax scopes. Very little image shift, optics, fit and finish very good. There is no way to adjust the secondary collimation - only the primary (which was not needed anyway). The only problem I have with this is that there is some vignetting with 32mm eyepieces - I can't say if the 127 has the same problem (probably not).

The IM703 was a bit of a disappointment. I bought mine from ITE. Sharpness didn't seem up to what others raved it to be - sharper than my old C8, yes, but I was expecting more, esp. for what I paid for it. Although mine was "certified" to 1/6, star testing seemed to reveal that it was closer to 1/4 wave. Collimation is a chore with this scope: the secondary housing has three pairs of push-pull screws. They were tedious to adjust - you didn't know which screw did the pulling or pushing. I don't know if the IM503 has a similar design but if it does, you've been warned ;-). My feeling is that you'll likely have better results with the smaller aperture IM Maks.

I can't comment on the mounts, though. I've no experience using them.

Simon

#3 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2004 - 05:06 PM

I've been hearing other stories elsewhere about the collimation difficulty, as well as dirty shavings being found inside the OTA. I think i'm set on getting the Starmax 127mm with the Skyview mount. It just seems like more overall value for the money when you take into account that i'm getting a mount + decent optics for $200.00 less than the Intes OTA. Plus, I only have an Alt-Az mount right now, so the EQ will give me more flexibility. Especially at higher powers for tracking.

Thanks for the input!

#4 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:04 PM

Rob,
I have no experience with the Intes, but I have used the Starmax for 3 years now. Outstanding little scope. It will be a perfect match for your AT1010. The EQ-3 mount works very well with this OTA.

Scott

#5 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:14 PM

I've settled on the Starmax. Ordered it today. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my AT1010! Thanks for the help.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics