•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unusually quiet lately

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

Its been unusually quiet lately.....

#2 nmoushon

nmoushon

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Wenatchee Valley, WA

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

Its what happens after a once every couple year event. Everyone has posted all their pics by now or at least most of them.

• charotarguy likes this

#3 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:28 AM

Here's something to help pass the time smile.png :

Attached File  worldmap_exeligmoscycle_145_1_third.jpg   315.13KB   0 downloads

This is a map of an exeligmos cycle within Saros cycle 145. These are cycles of eclipses with similar properties and location that occur in 54 year, 1 month increments. The eclipse of 2017 is a member.

I find these so fascinating, I chose Exeligmos as my profile name.

• charotarguy and vickiestar like this

#4 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:38 AM

Exeligmos within Saros 139, featuring the 2024 eclipse:

Attached File  worldmap_exeligmoscycle_139_2_third.jpg   321.67KB   0 downloads

• charotarguy and vickiestar like this

#5 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:40 AM

And Saros 136, which includes the long-duration eclipses of 1991 and 2045:

Attached File  worldmap_exeligmoscycle_136_2_third.jpg   323.09KB   1 downloads

• zjc26138, charotarguy and vickiestar like this

#6 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

Thanks, I see the light.....

#7 vickiestar

vickiestar

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for the Saros cycle illustrations. I can't visualize what's going on with the moon and earth to understand it, except that it's amazing this type of thing can be predicted with such great precision (unlike stuff such as the weather).crazy.gif

#8 vickiestar

vickiestar

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:35 PM

Here's a question: In a few eclipse videos, it seem like theres a way to convert a telescope into a "projector" so the eclipse image is projected onto a screen.

I have an obsolete 300mm camera lens (for an old film camera). Is there any way to re-purpose such a lens? Could it be used in some way to project an image of an eclipse onto a white cardboard sheet?

I tried it today with the sun, but could only get a very small image on a sheet of paper. Anything else to do with old camera lenses that don't fit modern cameras?

(One example of an eclipse being projected on a screen is in this video at appx. 2:55)
https://www.youtube....h?v=VAEUYM4Een4

#9 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

attachicon.gifworldmap_exeligmoscycle_136_2_third.jpg

I don't see the one for 2027 that is going over Egypt?

#10 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:03 AM

Yeah, the days and weeks leading up to the eclipse had this forum on fire! It was the first thing I read each day. Then after, there where glorious pictures and stories that came in, really fun to read others experience!

We didn't have CN back in 1998 leading up to my eclipse in Aruba, just the magazines to get you hyped up. Now I'm waiting for the magazines reports to come out, but don't think the ooh and ah factor will be that great because of all that I have seen and read here.

It sure was a fun experience for a few months! I drove everybody around me crazy about the eclipse. We had a 98% coverage here in NC where I live and made all buy eclipse glasses or I gave out some myself.

I hope I make it to 2024, it will be a memorable birthday celebration:)

#11 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

attachicon.gifworldmap_exeligmoscycle_136_2_third.jpg

I don't see the one for 2027 that is going over Egypt?

Here's the full Saros 136:

Attached File  worldmap_saroscycle_136_third.jpg   337.01KB   0 downloads

#12 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

And the exeligmos cycle with the 2027 eclipse:

Attached File  worldmap_exeligmoscycle_136_3_third.jpg   236KB   0 downloads

#13 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Saros 145. Eclipses potentially within our lifetimes are dated:

Attached File  worldmap_saroscycle_145_third_dates.jpg   293.73KB   0 downloads

The eclipses are separated by 18 years, 11 days.

Edited by Exeligmos, 13 October 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#14 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

Saros 136:

Attached File  worldmap_saroscycle_136_third_dates.jpg   334.12KB   0 downloads

I included the 1919 eclipse, which was used to confirm Einstein's theory of general relativity.

#15 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:20 PM

Saros 139:

Attached File  dated_worldmap_saros_139_third.jpg   338.66KB   0 downloads

Can't wait until 2024.

#16 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

Saros 128:

Attached File  dated_worldmap_saros_128_third.jpg   293.54KB   0 downloads

I've seen the 1994 and 2012 eclipses. I hope to catch the one in 2048.

• charotarguy likes this

#17 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:26 PM

Saros 126:

Attached File  dated_worldmap_saros_126_third.jpg   293.88KB   0 downloads

The 2044 eclipse may be a challenge. In August, a low-angle sun won't play well with possible clouds and smoke.

• charotarguy likes this

#18 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:36 AM

Saros 137:

Attached File  dated_worldmap_saros_137_third.jpg   310.11KB   0 downloads

The 1984 annular happens to be my first eclipse.

Interestingly, the 1930 hybrid eclipse was captured by Ansel Adams himself:

Attached File  Hybrid-eclipse-1930-Ansel-Adams.jpg   136.82KB   0 downloads

Edit: May have been taken by Adams:

https://www.greatame...s-eclipse-photo

Edited by Exeligmos, 16 October 2017 - 01:42 AM.

• dghundt likes this

#19 Chris K

Chris K

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, Earth

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

Here's my 2017 Eclipse story. Bored today so I thought I'd share. If you're bored, enjoy. If you're pressed for time, move along.

I have the WORST luck with weather on important days. If you ever want something ruined with rain or snow, invite me. I booked our hotel in 2015 for Columbia, South Carolina. I was undecided between Carbondale, Columbia or making a larger vacation out of it and go to Wyoming. I finally decided on Columbia because I was able to get my brother to drive up from Tampa while we drove down from NY.

For two years I had the potential threat of weather lurking in the back of my mind. So two weeks out, I started checking the weather daily. Then twice daily. Then hourly. I think as late as the Saturday before there was still a good chance of rain for Columbia.

We originally booked our eclipse hotel for Saturday night through Wednesday morning. We just came back from a short trip to Niagara two weeks before and I foolishly tried to work the whole week between. My dog was still a bit stressed out from being boarded while we were at Niagara and we were feeling bad about boarding her again so soon so on the Friday before the eclipse I called the hotel to cancel our Saturday arrival.

They wouldn't cancel Saturday because we'd lose the whole reservation due to high demand. BUT! They did a pre-check-in for me to ensure they didn't give our room away because we now wouldn't arrive until Sunday. Great!

We had a family issue brewing as well and so I called the hotel and pleaded with them to allow us to change our stay from Sat–Wed to Sun–Tue. They said okay, but I'd have to change my room rate from $98/night to $200! I agreed and so we left for South Carolina on Sunday morning.

Unbeknownst to us, not only was it "head to the eclipse" weekend, but was also "bring your kids to college" weekend. Our 12 hour road trip turned into 15 hours. During our crawl through Virginia, we could tell it was going to be a very late arrival so we called the front desk and told them we were behind schedule but confirming our late arrival. They were happy we called and we were all set. For good measure, we called my brother who already had arrived, and asked him to go to the front desk and tell the management that we'd be late.

We limped into the lobby at 11:30pm and went to the check-in counter. Around us were at least two guests having separate conversations with the management about their dissatisfaction. After a minute or two, the young lady behind the counter says "I'll be right back" and disappeared into the back room. Five minutes later she came out and said, "we don't have a room for you."

I'll spare you the PG-13 conversation, but the short of it was that they sent us back into the night on a 20-minute drive to another hotel so we'd at least have a place to sleep (as disgusting as it was.) For our troubles, we received the first night free and the next night at the original rate of $98. Plus, we received a $75 food voucher! Our $400 hotel bill was now down to $20 but we still had an eclipse to see... hopefully.

Our plan was simple, go out into the hotel parking lot with our eclipse glasses. No camera and no driving. I figured there would be millions of people taking pictures for me, I wanted to experience this bucket list item as is.

By morning rain was out of the forecast and it was a beauty of a day with big a scattering of big, white puffy clouds. We moved to a shady spot along the tree line in the back of the parking lot. Ten minutes from totality, a big, white puffy cloud parked in front of the sun. I thought, "here we go again. Another event ruined." It sat there for 9 minutes and 50 seconds. I paced back and forth and could not believe this was happening to me. Especially exasperated because Saturday morning my wife and daughter almost backed out of the trip due to the forecast of rain and they have just endured a fifteen hour ride with me for nothing.

I prayed and prayed and finally my wife started a cheer to "move that cloud!" and everyone on the hotel grounds were joining in. Ten seconds from totality, the clouds just disintegrated. I couldn't even tell you where they went... just gone. We got to see it all. I'm getting choked up again just typing this. 

It was the most magical thing I've ever witnessed (my daughter was a c-section and I averted my eyes for that one.) Forty-eight years old, and I wept. It was indescribable and easily one of THE highlights of my life. All that stress watching the weather, my family backing out at the last minute and showing up to no room at the inn was all wiped away instantly. I watched from totality until the very last moment savoring every clock tick of this phenomenon.

Looking back, I wouldn't have had it any other way. Though the drama through it all wasn't fun and the final throes of the defining moment were nail-biting. How lucky I was after all that it would all be eclipsed by, well, an eclipse.

Clear skies all!

• Phillip Creed, kfiscus, charotarguy and 2 others like this

#20 vickiestar

vickiestar

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

Great story!smile.gif

(the below was written about previously, so skip if you've read my posts)

It was also "move-in" for college weekend at Western Carolina University (in western region of North Carolina). I survived by camping in a lesser-known (but very nice) campsite, and the prospect of parking on campus on the day of the eclipse was basically zero (but I wanted to be among the college atmosphere, with the belief that it would be full of interested faculty and inquisitive students). So I rode my bike onto campus.

(experience is here):
https://www.cloudyni...t/#entry8100723

Photos of the eclipse from Cullowhee are here (scroll left to see others):
https://www.flickr.c...03/36562522952/

And someone else posted this video from campus:
https://www.youtube....h?v=A7_kry9mohg

Were the students indeed inquisitive about the eclipse? One can see that several appear to be texting even as the elcipse is forming its second diamond ring!! Student cell phone use vs. eclipse diamond ring = A tie!!! ooo.gifuhhh5.gif smile.gif

Edited by vickiestar, 17 October 2017 - 11:53 AM.

• Chris K likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics