I want to share with you the Arduino-based focus controller named "PnP Focus". As the name implies, I want it to be as easy as "Plug and Play". No soldering. No hassle with firmware upload.
You simply 1) buy the readily available components, 2) stack them, and 3) upload the firmware by a single click.
- Manual control
- LCD display
- Temperature sensor
- compatible with Moonlite ASCOM driver
- compatible with commercially available focuser motors.
I have tested with various motors from
All of them use the DB9 male connectors. It also works with the popular DIY stepper motors:
- 28BYJ-48 (5V and 12V)
- 17HS13-0404S-PG27 (12V)
1) Arduino Leonardo board ($5-$10). I recommend the board by Keyestudio available at Aliexpress ($8).
2) Ardumoto L298P motor driver board. Make sure that the board uses Pin 3, 11, 12, 13 for driving the motor. Fortunately, most of them are. I recommend the board by Keyestudio available at Aliexpress ($9).
3) 1602 LCD and keypad shield ($2-$10). I recommend the 1602 LCD and keypad shield by DFRobot ($10).
4) DS18B20 Temperature Sensor. I recommend the sensor by DFRobot ($4). The sensor is connected as shown in the figure below.
The total cost is just $30.
1) Visit https://github.com/aruangra/PnP-Focus , download the file "upload.zip" and unzip the file.
2) Then connect the micro usb cable between Arduino Leonardo and your PC.
3) Double click the file "upload.exe". The firmware will be uploaded to the Arduino board. And it is ready.
How to use:
- You can use the ASCOM Moonlite focuser driver to control the motor.
- For manual control, the keys are as follows:
LEFTMOST: Save the position to EEPROM. For manual control, the position is not saved. Use this key to save the position.
LEFT: Move in
RIGHT: Move out
UP: Backlight On/Off
DOWN: Fast/Slow movement
Let me know if you have any question. Thank you.
Edited by anat, 12 October 2017 - 06:53 AM.