•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PnP Focus: The simplest-ever Arduino focus controller

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#251 tiddler

tiddler

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:24 AM

Can't say this enough.  Many of the ardumotor boards do not come with the logic-V set to 5V.  If it is not selected to 5V because the leonardo uses 5V logic, the LED sequence will not be correct and the stepper will just make a noise and not move when using slow or fast speeds.  If you step through 4 steps, every position should show a light pattern.  If one pattern extinguishes the lights, you do not have the logic voltage selected.  Be sure to look at post 226 for an example of the logic-V pads.  They are very small and you might need a microscope to make the solder bridge on the 5V side to the center pad.

logicV

I have the moonlite hi-res focuser and struggled with the connections not realizing the logic-V was not set.  Note the Moonlight focuser documentation incorrectly states the wire color to dB9 pin definition.  When I disassembled my focuser, I found 1-Blue, 2- Red, 3-Black, 4-White, 5 the additional 2 wires for the center tap. The image shows these correct wire-pin colours and connection to the board.

moonlitefocuser

Finally I decided that I wanted the temperature probe to be installed in the connector at the motor.  I found a DS18B20 board that I wired into the motorboard.  It probably would have worked to just leave it in the case.  However I cut off the sensor and installed wiring through to the dB9 connector which attached to the stepper motor.  I installed header and individual pushon wire connectors and use the open wires in the dB9 connector to bring the connection back to the controller.  I used an RJ45 Ethernet cable as my cable and used a RJ-45-dB9 module for the connection at the motor.

temp board1
temp board2

https://www.ebay.ca/...872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.ca/...872.m2749.l2649

#252 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:07 PM

I'm wondering if I could update this with an ESP32 to add Wifi and Bluetooth support

#253 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Mariner 2

• Loc: Chardon OH

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:54 PM

Finally used my focused as a controller with SGP. Worked like a charm!

had to tweak the step size but other than that it worked very well.

thanks for this project!

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics