•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trouble updating Starbook

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

I'm trying to update my Vixen Starbook for my SXW.  I don't have a PC but I have Windows 10 running as a virtual PC on my Mac. I have the Starbook connected to my Mac via a crossover cable and ethernet-to-Thunderbolt adapter.  I downloaded the latest firmware to the desktop and confirmed that the IP address of my Starbook is correct.  When I click to install the update, I get a message saying that it can't connect to the Starbook.  Is it not possible to update the Starbook using this configuration?  

Thanks

#2 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: southern Ontario

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

Hi I have the sxd mount and just found out that an update was available. Guess it’s been out for a few years. I am using Mac with windows running on it and wasn’t able to do the update. However when using the sky x it connected no problem. I would think it’s possible but I couldn’t figure it out. I purchased minix pc portable computer that I will set up and use a with another mount. I was easily able to do the update with that.

Side note I think the update is great unguided with a sloppy polar alignment I was getting 60 second exposure at 900mm focal length. I hadn’t used the mount in years but it was never that good before. I think the upgrade has made a big difference.

#3 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Are you running Windows on a separate partition or as a VM?

#4 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: southern Ontario

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

I am running parallel software with windows so that would be virtual I guess

Mac recognizes the connection with sky x but couldn’t make it work with windows.

#5 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

Ok.  Thanks for responding.  I guess I’ll try installing Windows via Bootcamp before trying to borrow someone ‘s PC.  

#6 Betelgeuze

Betelgeuze

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

Hello fellow Sphinx owners..  flowerred.gif

Be careful, it is possible you gonna " brick"  the Starbook if the connection is not 100% reliable when doing the update...  Eyecrazy.gif

(So maybe better borrow a windows pc)

A tip out of the field, if your guiding sometimes behaves strange in PHD2, using the ascom/puls-guide option,

even if your calibration is good, then try to switch over to st4 guiding, it can make a big difference.

Don' t know if this has something to do with some area' s of the sky or the 2x sidereal guide speed in the Ascom driver.

#7 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, I'm going to borrow a friend's PC.

#8 GlenM

GlenM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

Desperation setting in,Amy.wink.gif

Glen.

#9 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

No kidding.  tongue2.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics