•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trouble updating Starbook

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

I'm trying to update my Vixen Starbook for my SXW.  I don't have a PC but I have Windows 10 running as a virtual PC on my Mac. I have the Starbook connected to my Mac via a crossover cable and ethernet-to-Thunderbolt adapter.  I downloaded the latest firmware to the desktop and confirmed that the IP address of my Starbook is correct.  When I click to install the update, I get a message saying that it can't connect to the Starbook.  Is it not possible to update the Starbook using this configuration?  

Thanks

#2 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: southern Ontario

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

Hi I have the sxd mount and just found out that an update was available. Guess it’s been out for a few years. I am using Mac with windows running on it and wasn’t able to do the update. However when using the sky x it connected no problem. I would think it’s possible but I couldn’t figure it out. I purchased minix pc portable computer that I will set up and use a with another mount. I was easily able to do the update with that.

Side note I think the update is great unguided with a sloppy polar alignment I was getting 60 second exposure at 900mm focal length. I hadn’t used the mount in years but it was never that good before. I think the upgrade has made a big difference.

#3 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Are you running Windows on a separate partition or as a VM?

#4 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: southern Ontario

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

I am running parallel software with windows so that would be virtual I guess

Mac recognizes the connection with sky x but couldn’t make it work with windows.

#5 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

Ok.  Thanks for responding.  I guess I’ll try installing Windows via Bootcamp before trying to borrow someone ‘s PC.  

#6 Betelgeuze

Betelgeuze

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Europe

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

Hello fellow Sphinx owners..  flowerred.gif

Be careful, it is possible you gonna " brick"  the Starbook if the connection is not 100% reliable when doing the update...  Eyecrazy.gif

(So maybe better borrow a windows pc)

A tip out of the field, if your guiding sometimes behaves strange in PHD2, using the ascom/puls-guide option,

even if your calibration is good, then try to switch over to st4 guiding, it can make a big difference.

Don' t know if this has something to do with some area' s of the sky or the 2x sidereal guide speed in the Ascom driver.

#7 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, I'm going to borrow a friend's PC.

#8 GlenM

GlenM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

Desperation setting in,Amy.wink.gif

Glen.

#9 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

No kidding.  tongue2.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics