•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Raspberry Pi Meteor/Sky camera w/ NoIR V2 Camera and Light Pollution Filter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JasonBowling

JasonBowling

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

Hi everyone:

I recently finished up testing a sky camera for meteor capture and condition monitoring built with a NoIR V2 camera. I also added a light pollution filter - I've not seen anyone try that before, and I got good results with it. It takes 10 second images one after the other all night, and saves them to a networked share to avoid writing to the flash. It's in a weather resistant enclosure and dome - the post includes enough information to easily recreate it and sample results. It works well even in my backyard which is in an orange band on the light pollution maps. It easily captures far more stars than I can see with the naked eye.

I hope you find it interesting or useful. Thanks! - Jason

http://shortcircuits...-v2-camera.html

• Relativist, PrestonE, kingjamez and 3 others like this

#2 TinySpeck

TinySpeck

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle area

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

Very cool, Jason!  Thanks for sharing.

I have a RaspPi I thought I was going to use in another project, now maybe I'll make a sky camera out of it!  

#3 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

Very nice, I have been considering the NOIR camera for EAA. This reminds me of the several all sky cameras out there. Have you considered cooling the sensor, also what kind of gain control does the sensor have?

#4 PrestonE

PrestonE

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Miguel de Allende,Mexico

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

Darn you Jason...

Now I have yet another project  bow.gif bow.gif bow.gif

But, really...one of the finest meteor and sky condition setups

that I have seen...

Very Best Regards,

Preston

#5 JasonBowling

JasonBowling

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:00 PM

Thanks Preston, that's very kind. I hope there are some ideas that other folks can use. I was pretty pleased with it for the cost of the components.

Curtis - I have not tried to cool the sensor. With regards to control of the camera, the best way I've found to control the camera is the "raspistill" utility that ships with Raspbian. It offers control over ISO (gain, presumably) color balance, shutter speed, saturation, and a few others. It's a Sony sensor - the spec sheet is available for the V2 camera, but I have not studied it in detail. 

#6 geyes30

geyes30

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:45 PM

I used an old QHY5 camera to do something similar a year ago. I wrote directly to the SD card, which may have been a bad idea! It ran on a 5V power bank, and was controlled by VNC from a Windows laptop.

28312977123_4620bd08b3_c.jpgAll sky cam assembled by Cyrus Beh, on Flickr

• brave_ulysses likes this

#7 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Messenger

• Loc: Knoxville

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

This is a great project, I'm in the final phase of building something similar with many more features.  Now I'm going to have to go back and get the v2 camera before I button up the hatches. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics