•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Spacing of Pick n Pluck Foam

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Oscar56

Oscar56

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

I have just purchased a gun case with 0.75” scored foam, meaning squares of 0.75” on a side. 

EPs taller than 4”will have to be laid on their sides.  Shorter EPs such as my 24Pan I will insert vertically. 

How many strips of squares do you suggest I retain between my larger EPs such as ES100-20 and ES-14?  I suspect my mid size EPs such as Baader zoom and Delos 14 I can get away with one strip?

#2 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

Oscar, protection wise you would be OK with a single row between eyepieces.  However, if you have space, I suggest at least two.  The joint lines that create the rows are intentionally weak to allow you to pluck them apart with relative ease.  For that reason, single rows of pluck form tend to separate over time.  Two rows provide more long-term structure and stability for your foam layout.  Three is even better but then it begins to consume a lot of your interior space.  Alan

Edited by NC Startrekker, 12 October 2017 - 03:40 PM.

• faackanders2, joaoba, Peter Besenbruch and 2 others like this

#3 Steve Daniel

Steve Daniel

Vostok 1

• Loc: Boerne, TX, USA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

Kind of depends on the compliancy and resistance to tearing of the pre-cut cut foam. I'd suggest at least two widths in the up/down direction as the case is carried/stored, and at least one width in the left-right direction. You need more strength in the direction gravity is pulling...

Edited by Steve Daniel, 12 October 2017 - 03:56 PM.

• starbase25 likes this

#4 Oscar56

Oscar56

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:00 PM

Hmm....good points on the storage.  Vertical or horizontal?  It is probably going to be vertical. 

#5 MG1692

MG1692

Vostok 1

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

Hmm....good points on the storage.  Vertical or horizontal?  It is probably going to be vertical. 

This is hilarious - I crossed this exact bridge on the weekend while re-organizing my eyepieces. I found two seemed to pulled by the edge a little to much. It was not causing any issue other than looking a touch untidy. Ultimately I made mine three wide and my OCD remained under control

Edited by MG1692, 12 October 2017 - 04:05 PM.

• Oscar56, jeremiah2229 and cosmo823 like this

#6 Oscar56

Oscar56

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

My life is untidy. 

• cosmo823 likes this

#7 Headshot

Headshot

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Streamwood, IL

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:27 PM

What is the life-expectancy of this type of foam? I have had some old camera and gun case foams disintegrate (after 10-15 years) into tiny fragments that got into everything. It was very difficult to clean because the fragments were affected by static electrical charges and just would not cooperate. Using wet rags only made things worse. Unfortunately I do not recall the brand names in question.

#8 starbase25

starbase25

Viking 1

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:30 PM

Oscar, protection wise you would be OK with a single row between eyepieces.  However, if you have space, I suggest at least two.  The joint lines that create the rows are intentionally weak to allow you to pluck them apart with relative ease.  For that reason, single rows of pluck form tend to separate over time.  Two rows provide more long-term structure and stability for your foam layout.  Three is even better but then it begins to consume a lot of your interior space.  Alan

I recommend a double space. A single space will eventually give way. Also, some of the foam is flimsy and breaks down over time. Get the better foam stuff. It has been mentioned on here several times. Just do a search.

Edited by starbase25, 12 October 2017 - 05:31 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and havasman like this

#9 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

Also, some of the foam is flimsy and breaks down over time. Get the better foam stuff. It has been mentioned on here several times. Just do a search.

That. You may have found it but I've never bought a case that came with good foam. Anymore I just budget the cost of foam into any plans for a new case. There's some really good aftermarket foam for cheap. I like CaseClub.com and they have different types but there are lots of outlets. I buy so that there are several layers instead of one piece to fit the case 'cause I find that easier to cut to fit the gear.

#10 Tank

Tank

Gemini

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:16 PM

the large beast EPs i like 2 (ethos,31t5 etc) however the delos or about the size EP 1 is ok as you see in my case

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Tank, 12 October 2017 - 06:18 PM.

#11 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

Use toothpicks to plot your pluck.

• Jon Isaacs and Kutno like this

#12 Oscar56

Oscar56

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:51 PM

Using qtips, but same idea. Then have a cocktail and study layout. 

Repeat. 

• havasman likes this

#13 AxelB

AxelB

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:29 PM

... but maybe a child or grandchild will feel like the occasional outing and be my driver...

I hear you on that! Except, in my case, it would be heaven-sent, as when it comes to astro-appreciation in my family, so far, I stand alone... and would drive alone!

... I figure I have about 20 years left to pursue these opportunities...

God bless you and may you have more than that!

I just bought a solid bloc of foam to redo the layout in my case... it's sitting there unused because I can't make my mind yet about how I'll cut it. At least, once I cut it, it will be more durable than these pre-cut foams.

Edited by AxelB, 12 October 2017 - 08:29 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#14 faackanders2

faackanders2

Skylab

• -----

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

Depends on how many cases you want to carry (one space between) and how often you need to replace the foam (two+ spaces between).

#15 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

I'm gonna buy some pluck foam stock...

• Oscar56 likes this

#16 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Messenger

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:57 PM

I use a minimum of 2 spaces.

#17 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Ranger 4

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

I use this same technique.  Alan

#18 junomike

junomike

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:55 AM

Two spaces for larger pick 'n' pluck and three for the smaller squares and if using heavy eyepieces/equipment.

#19 Oscar56

Oscar56

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

Two spaces for larger pick 'n' pluck and three for the smaller squares and if using heavy eyepieces/equipment.

The squares in my foam are 3/4”.  Is that big or small?

#20 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Ranger 4

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:32 PM

That's big as far as smaller cases go. I've seen 1/4 and 1/2 in pluck foam. I haven't personally seen anything bigger in pluck foam for use in a case that you would normally consider using as an eyepiece case. Alan

#21 junomike

junomike

Voyager 1

• Moderators

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

That's big as far as smaller cases go. I've seen 1/4 and 1/2 in pluck foam. I haven't personally seen anything bigger in pluck foam for use in a case that you would normally consider using as an eyepiece case. Alan

I

I haven't seen anything larger than 1/2 in either,  but I'd still recommend two spaces as the size of the squares  can aid in protecting gear but the durability of the foam is

still the same regardless of square size so two rows is best for larger/heavier EP's.

#22 HowardSkies

HowardSkies

Sputnik

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

First time plucker here with new pelican case. Double layer of foam on 1560 case.

Just reach in and pluck? Use a fine knife? Scissors?

How do u control depth?

#23 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:35 PM

A benefit of replacement foam of higher quality is that you can shrink the space between ep's significantly. MyCaseBuider suggests 1" between ep's but I find half that completely adequate with any ep; even less when the intersection is brief like where a finger hole comes close to a straight cutout.

• wrvond likes this

#24 junomike

junomike

Voyager 1

• Moderators

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:58 PM

First time plucker here with new pelican case. Double layer of foam on 1560 case.

Just reach in and pluck? Use a fine knife? Scissors?

How do u control depth?

I use my hands buy be careful as to not accidentally pluck the foam (walls) around the area which needs removing.

To control depth I use the piece being removed, but slice it according to how much depth I need.  Take your time and work slow.

#25 HowardSkies

HowardSkies

Sputnik

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

thanks Mike!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics