•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I scored big-time yesterday (Aluminum Meteorite)!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sharkboy

Sharkboy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

Howdy fellow Space-cases,  :D

I scored big-time yesterday with an Aluminum Meteorite find:

https://imgsafe.org/image/fce960e447

https://imgsafe.org/image/fce92cb948

I wasn't expecting something like that showing-up here but I've been finding all kinds of kewl Rocks here and my legs have been paying the price for them.  :D

Namaste,

Ribbit  :p

#2 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Viking 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

I didn't know that aluminum was an option in meteorites. I've learned at least two things today.

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

That's not a meteorite.

• peter scherff and lee14 like this

#4 Sharkboy

Sharkboy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

That's not a meteorite.

Exactly how many Aluminum Meteorites have you seen in your lifetime, to be such an expert on them?

Namste,

Ribbit  tongue2.gif

Ps: BTW - You're WRONG! In a test burn, it didn't melt @ 2000 degrees!

Edited by Sharkboy, 23 October 2017 - 08:03 PM.

#5 lee14

lee14

Ranger 4

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:32 AM

I doubt if the individual you are referring to has ever seen an aluminum meteorite, for the simple fact that they do not exist. The only aluminum in meteorites exists in the form of CAI's, which are generally millimeter and sub-millimeter in size. 

Lee

• noisejammer, mark8888 and AndromedaAI like this

#6 Sharkboy

Sharkboy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:10 PM

I doubt if the individual you are referring to has ever seen an aluminum meteorite, for the simple fact that they do not exist. The only aluminum in meteorites exists in the form of CAI's, which are generally millimeter and sub-millimeter in size. 

Lee

That was what I was thinking, based on the fact I cannot find a picture of one anywhere online. However, just because there hasn't been a type of Meteorite EVER SEEN before, doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means no one has seen one yet, because Inner Solar System Asteroids are formed by Meteorite Impacts blowing 'debris' into outer space and all it takes to form ANY type of Meteorite is for another Meteorite to blow that SUBSTANCE into space when it impacts. That's why I've found 2 Jade Meteorites, besides the 1 Aluminum Meteorite I've found so far.  ;)

Namaste,

Ribbit  :)

#7 lee14

lee14

Ranger 4

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:09 AM

Rigorous petrographic, chemical, and isotopic analysis are employed to determine the identification of a specimen as a meteorite. Wishful thinking, or the lack of comparable imagery on the internet, do not constitute evidence of any kind. To repeatedly discount the opinions of those who actually have expertise on the subject of meteoritics, in favor of an emotional opinion formed in lieu of any physical evidence whatsoever, is pointless, misinformed, and confusing to those who have come to this forum with the hope of gaining some understanding from members who are genuinely knowledgeable on the subject.

Lee

Edited by lee14, 25 October 2017 - 09:12 AM.

• peter scherff, mark8888, Edward Nash and 3 others like this

#8 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:30 AM

That's not a meteorite.

Exactly how many Aluminum Meteorites have you seen in your lifetime, to be such an expert on them?

Namste,

Ribbit  tongue2.gif

Ps: BTW - You're WRONG! In a test burn, it didn't melt @ 2000 degrees!

None. And that is exactly my point. Aluminum meteorites don't exist.

I have seen thousands of meteorites of all types over the last 10+ years. I am well-versed on the latest research and I am in regular contact with some of the most respected meteorite scientists alive. If there was such a thing as an "aluminum meteorite", I would know about it. Furthermore, there is no research to even suggest that such a thing is possible. Aluminum is an element that is just not found in meteorites in any statistically-significant amount.

The burden is on you to prove your rocks are meteorites - not the other way around. And I see nothing in your posts or photos that supports the notion that any of these rocks are meteorites. I am not trying to be a dick about it, I am just trying to stop the spread of inaccurate information.

I'm not going to harp on it any more. If the forum moderators are OK with this forum being overrun with nonsense and becoming a laughing-stock, then I guess that's their decision to allow this kind of thing to continue unchecked. I don't have enough free time to engage in another round of meteorwrong-debate with someone who has no intention of listening.

Edited by Glassthrower, 04 November 2017 - 10:31 AM.

• peter scherff, lee14, mark8888 and 4 others like this

#9 Planethunter80

Planethunter80

Viking 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

Very well said Mike. Allow people to believe that which they care to believe. It harms no one but themselves(unless they try to sell it to others based on false pretenses). 

#10 peter scherff

peter scherff

Messenger

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

Hi,

I think that misinformation of the sort that we are talking about harms the meteorite community. A neophyte coming across this may not know that the pseudo-scientific techno-babble is meaningless and the rocks in question have nothing to do with meteoritics. It is not difficult to picture a newcomer who might take a topic like this one to be true. In my experience theses topics are promulgated by one of three types of people i.e. trolls, people who are convinced that they are correct when the rest of the world is wrong  or someone who has made an honest mistake. The latter are so rare that responding to these types of topics tends to be a waste of time.

Thanks,

Peter

• Glassthrower, lee14, mark8888 and 1 other like this

#11 Kunama

Kunama

Gemini

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:09 AM

My interest in meteorites was rekindled only very recently (after a 4 decade break) while looking at a piece of moon rock brought back by Apollo astronauts.

Then the following week a friend decided to sell some of his collection and I bought a nice 762gram Sikhote-Alin.

I then started reading the SpaceRocks forum and, after reading a few threads, closed it after claims of aluminium meteorites and 'new crater fields'.

I am glad sanity has returned.  I hope those posts were indeed just honest mistakes and not trolling expeditions....

Edited by Kunama, 05 November 2017 - 12:09 AM.

• peter scherff and lee14 like this

#12 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:01 AM

Hi,

I think that misinformation of the sort that we are talking about harms the meteorite community. A neophyte coming across this may not know that the pseudo-scientific techno-babble is meaningless and the rocks in question have nothing to do with meteoritics. It is not difficult to picture a newcomer who might take a topic like this one to be true. In my experience theses topics are promulgated by one of three types of people i.e. trolls, people who are convinced that they are correct when the rest of the world is wrong  or someone who has made an honest mistake. The latter are so rare that responding to these types of topics tends to be a waste of time.

Thanks,

Peter

When this newcomer became interested in metorites, I came to this forum and it was pretty inactive.  I asked many questions in this thread, which subsequently became a sticky in the forum.  The answers I received were very comprehensive and gave me a path on which I felt that I could collect meteorites without kidding myself by wasting time and money on fakes.  Thanks guys for taking the time to do that.  FWIW I think newcomers with the same types of questions can be referred to that sticky to help with the answers.

• peter scherff, lee14 and Kunama like this

#13 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:13 AM

Although I am not a mod in this forum, I thought to drop you guys a line.

FYI the OP has been banned from Cloudynights, therefore any attempt to educate him or discuss the topic is moot.

• Glassthrower, peter scherff, lee14 and 1 other like this

#14 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

I'm not sure what it is about meteorites that attracts "interesting" people, but we in the meteorite community get more than our fair share of characters.

If somebody came into the Refractor forum and posted a photo of their new refractor that was not a refractor at all, I would expect helpful members of the forum to say "Hey, that is not a refractor, it is actually a dobsonian reflector." 

The erroneous poster would then say, "Wow, I didn't know that, I was mistaken in my terminology, thanks for clearing that up!" 

But not with meteorites. They will post a photo of an obvious Earth rock and will stubbornly resist all attempts by others to educate them. They will insist their piece of hematite or magnetite is a meteorite until their last breath. They will usually get hostile to anyone trying to correct them. This happens more often than not. It's weird and I cannot explain it.

That is why I rarely try to educate such people any more - they almost always shoot the messenger. Maybe they are invested in the idea that their rock is worth a ton of money and will make them rich. I just don't know.

The reason I tried with this person is because he was so prolific and was filling up the forum with misinformation. I am grateful to the moderators for removing him, since it was apparent he had no intention of listening to reason.

• peter scherff, hfjacinto, lee14 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics