•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nebulosity 4

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 elmiko

elmiko

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:51 AM

Does anyone out there use Nebulosity 4 to capture and process images? And if so, how do you go about capturing multiple evenings of one particular object? I don't have a permanent setup I tear down equipment each time. Say I take thirty subs one night., I shoot flats before I tear down.should I process them with calibration frame ie...dark flats and bias.save that, and do The same for the next say thirty subs.Then do I combine the two processed and stacked groups? I hope I make sense. Could someone please help. 

#2 DohaDave

DohaDave

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Doha

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:27 AM

Pre-process each nights frames seperately, that way your flats will work, then grade, align and combine as 1 big stack, 

It helps if you can repeat your framing from 1 night to another. I keep a reference frame from the previous run to compare.

#3 einarin

einarin

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:30 AM

I don't use Nebulosity for processing but you must use same calibration frames (at least flats) for each night's lights.

You can calibrate all your images first and then register/align all of them in one go OR you can calibrate&align each night's work and then combine the calibrated and aligned results.

DSS has a feature called File groups that can handle multiple nights work.

https://www.youtube....h?v=cmDy80d2krk

#4 elmiko

elmiko

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:23 AM

Thanks guys, I was just wanted to make sure. I appreciate your help.

#5 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

I use Nebulosity 4 with my ASI071MC and I also use a portable seup. If I want precise alignment over mulitple nights I'll mark the location of a few alignment stars on my screen with a dry erase marker. Works great!

• OleCuss and DohaDave like this

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

That's a good idea Graham! There's an alignment routine where you right click on a couple stars and save as a reference I don't quite understand the process. But yours seems to be a simple common sense  alternative. Good job. 

#7 Adam E

Adam E

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Edgewood, NM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

I use Nebulosity 4 with my ASI071MC and I also use a portable seup. If I want precise alignment over mulitple nights I'll mark the location of a few alignment stars on my screen with a dry erase marker. Works great!

OMG, I have spent a decade fidgetting around night to night and pre and post meridian flip without ever thinking of this as a solution!

There is alawys something more to be learned lol.gif

#8 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:58 PM

OMG, I have spent a decade fidgetting around night to night and pre and post meridian flip without ever thinking of this as a solution!

There is alawys something more to be learned lol.gif

With Nebulosity all you need to do is open one of your subs from the night before and hold down Control and right click your cursor over up to three stars and the program will put crosshairs over each of those stars.  Then you simply take a short preview to align your stars onto the crosshairs.

• OleCuss, Don Walters and DohaDave like this

#9 elmiko

elmiko

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:31 PM

Thanks rigel123 I will try that this weekend.

#10 Ron359

Ron359

Viking 1

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:33 PM

After preprocessing each nights images you could then chose align + rotate and stack those if you have roughly the same field.  You can even stack images of different scales from diff focal length scopes or lenses with the align + rotate + scale stack as long as you have the same stars in each preprocessed image.    

• samm likes this

#11 elmiko

elmiko

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

I didn't know that. thanks Ron.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics