•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IDAS LPS D1 FILTER FOR CANON APS-C Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kanephoto

Kanephoto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

I purchased the $200.00 IDAS LPS D1 filter for Canon T5i  from OPT and I am concerned that the filter won't work with the camera.  I'm close to returning it.   First, it did not come with any installation instructions so I assumed i could figure it out.  Unfortunately for me I could not get a lens to attach to my camera with this filter sitting inside my camera.  Plus, I thought this item would "click" into place considering its called a "Clip In Filter"  and it does not.  It just sits in there not attached to anything, thus it will fall out if I hold the camera at any angle than flat.  Plus, the glass filter itself wiggles inside the metal frame.  I spoke to Trevor Jones of AstroBackyard  and says thats not suppose to happen.  Plus he was thinking I have the incorrect filter.

If any of you recognize this filter as usable with my full spectrum modified Canon T5i camera, please let me know.  Plus if you have instructions to install it, that would be super appreciated as well.  

I have contacted OPT once and have yet to get a response.  Sent a second email out this morning.  

I also have no idea what the little black FELT strips are for.

Kane

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1301.JPG

#2 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:18 AM

The filter should work fine with your camera. I have one for my T4i. You cannot use any filter inside Canon APS-C cameras when using Canon lenses with an EF-S mount, bc of the depth of the EF-S mount flange. EF lenses will work fine. The Hutech website has pictures showing how to insert the D1 EOS filter. It's pretty easy. While the filter does rattle a bit inside the camera, I've never had a problem in the two yrs. I've been using it.

Mike

#3 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:39 AM

These are body front filters; check if the one you have is compatible for your camera. More details on the same here.... May require some installation; instructions link on the same page. Regards

Note: IDAS filter discussion here...

#4 Kanephoto

Kanephoto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

The filter should work fine with your camera. I have one for my T4i. You cannot use any filter inside Canon APS-C cameras when using Canon lenses with an EF-S mount, bc of the depth of the EF-S mount flange. EF lenses will work fine. The Hutech website has pictures showing how to insert the D1 EOS filter. It's pretty easy. While the filter does rattle a bit inside the camera, I've never had a problem in the two yrs. I've been using it.

Mike

Thank you.  However when i follow the directions the filter continues to fall out.  Ive been trying everyday possible for way plus It doesn't stay in when tilting the camera upward.  Plus I still can't attach a lens.  This is so frustrating.  Poochpa, can I send you a video of what I'm doing?  

#5 Kanephoto

Kanephoto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

These are body front filters; check if the one you have is compatible for your camera. More details on the same here.... May require some installation; instructions link on the same page. Regards

Thanks...I don't see the Canon t5i listed But I also don't see the t4i listed which member Poochpa says he is using.  

#6 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Viking 1

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

Mike

Thank you.  However when i follow the directions the filter continues to fall out.  Ive been trying everyday possible for way plus It doesn't stay in when tilting the camera upward.  Plus I still can't attach a lens.  This is so frustrating.  Poochpa, can I send you a video of what I'm doing?  

I have the same issue/question, and ended up figuring that the filter just "sat" in there.  Not the impression I got from something called a "clip in" filter either.

#7 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:58 PM

Thanks...I don't see the Canon t5i listed But I also don't see the t4i listed which member Poochpa says he is using.  

The T4i and T5i are virtually identical. Here is how you put the filter in, with my pics to show you.

Step 1: Place the filter in the camera body between the lens mount flanges. The raised side of the filter's finger hold "wings" should face up towards you. The imprinted "IDAS LPS-D1 MFA" wing should be in the in the flange gap at the 10-11 o'clock position.

IMG_0127.JPG

Step 2: Rotate the filter with your finger or a pen tip counterclockwise so that the filter wings now sit under the flanges. Put your lens on and you are done.

IMG_0128.JPG

Mike

#8 Kanephoto

Kanephoto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:40 PM

The T4i and T5i are virtually identical. Here is how you put the filter in, with my pics to show you.

Step 1: Place the filter in the camera body between the lens mount flanges. The raised side of the filter's finger hold "wings" should face up towards you. The imprinted "IDAS LPS-D1 MFA" wing should be in the in the flange gap at the 10-11 o'clock position.

attachicon.gifIMG_0127.JPG

Step 2: Rotate the filter with your finger or a pen tip counterclockwise so that the filter wings now sit under the flanges. Put your lens on and you are done.

attachicon.gifIMG_0128.JPG

Mike

Mike, it worked.   Thanks for taking the time to shoot those images for me.  Of course I feel silly that I tried every possible fit I could try over a two hour period and never tried the easiest way....DUhhh.  But I will say that the filter does not stay clipped in, more like sitting in there and falls out after I place the camera  the camera .  I'll have to remove it and place it back in its case after i use it.  Thanks again.  

#9 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

Glad it worked out. You can leave it in place as long as you have a lens mounted. That's what I do.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics