•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar eclipse in July 2, 2019 (viewable from Chile).

imaging observing solar
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vickiestar

vickiestar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:13 AM

This topic is for tips, tricks, ideas, and advice about travelling to Chile in 2019 to see the eclipse. (I only checked details a little so far, but will do so more as it approaches, and may go).

I believe the eclipse will occur late in the day - in fact not much before the sun sets over the Pacific Ocean. This could mean viewing it is not a "sure thing" as low clouds near the horizon may cause problems. But if a good view can be found, possibly even from the slope of the Andes Mountains, the results may be spectacular.uhhh5.gif smile.gif

Who's going?

#2 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

I like the idea of a thread for each eclipse event....

Come cloud climatology maps (from solar-eclipse.info ):

Attached File  cloudmapcolor_2019-07-02.jpg   257.34KB   3 downloads

• vickiestar likes this

#3 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

Attached File  countrymap_cloud_2019-07-02_CL.jpg   108.54KB   2 downloads

Attached File  countrymap_cloud_2019-07-02_AR.jpg   314.82KB   3 downloads

Edited by Exeligmos, 19 October 2017 - 11:32 AM.

• ed_turco and vickiestar like this

#4 ed_turco

ed_turco

Vanguard

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

Try to remember that Argentina may be an equal  bet, bring on the east side of the Andes.  From a point near San Juan, Argentina, the sun will be 10+ degrees up w/2.5 minutes of totality.   At points farther east, the sun gets really low, really fast with shorter durations of totality.  I do envy the folks on the Chilean coast with a 13 degree solar height and an extra 7 or 8 seconds of corona.  Guess its a trade off.

Which leads to the total eclipse in 2020, in the same general area of Chile of Argentina, about 200 miles farther south.

And this segues to the next thread . . .

ed

#5 vickiestar

vickiestar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

Try to remember that Argentina may be an equal  bet, bring on the east side of the Andes.  From a point near San Juan, Argentina, the sun will be 10+ degrees up w/2.5 minutes of totality.   At points farther east, the sun gets really low, really fast with shorter durations of totality.  I do envy the folks on the Chilean coast with a 13 degree solar height and an extra 7 or 8 seconds of corona.  Guess its a trade off...

Near San Juan sounds good. But I don't understand the trade-off. Is it the view (looking west) at the Andes while the eclipse occurs, that San Juan might be a better viewing site?confused1.gif 

#6 ed_turco

ed_turco

Vanguard

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

San Juan is not on the eclipse path.  It looks as if there would be a 40 mile ride to the center line. Climate maps show that there are places on the path that havewith drier weather than any of us saw in Wyoming.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imaging, observing, solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics